Those 5 states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derek

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what the 5 staes are that require you to have completed an AOA approved internship in that state in order to practice there?

Members don't see this ad.

UGH...every time I see that I just think UGH.

As much as it shouldn't be a major deciding factor on what school you go to...this is for me. It just seems like a hassle to have to do the internship or petition the board if you go to practice there, where as the allopathic counterparts do not. I'm interested to see how quinn's petition goes in regard to his FL status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Robz
UGI'm interested to see how quinn's petition goes in regard to his FL status.

I think all went well.

Maybe I misinterpreted a post at some point?

As much as it shouldn't be a major deciding factor on what school you go to...this is for me. It just seems like a hassle to have to do the internship or petition the board if you go to practice there, where as the allopathic counterparts do not. I'm interested to see how quinn's petition goes in regard to his FL status.

I guess that answers your question. Me Osteo regardless. What is one year. I wasted more years than that screw'n off. I am guessing/hoping in the coming years that a petition will not be that big off a deal. An asst. PD told me that for him it was not a big deal. But then again he was an IM guy so his first year satisfied the requirements. Now I can see where certain specialties would make it a downer. Say if you wanted to be a heart Xplant surgeon or anything else that is going to require 6+ years of GME.

The AOA has recently loosened the requirements for the internship. I think the only mandatory rotations to fulfill the internship is 2 months of internal medicine, a month of ER, and a month of FP. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hence, they're trying to work with students to keep them in the "osteopathic family" while still maintaining a bit of the "holistic feel" that supposedly distinguishes our graduate medical education system.

Also, note, if you're planning to go into anesthesia, PM&R, derm, rads, etc, you will need a transitional year anyway. Almost always the ACGME program will let you do the AOA internship as the transitional year. Sometimes the AOA internship is even better put together than the transitional year at your primary institution. A friend of mine from nycom is doing anesthesia at harvard right now and harvard encouraged him to do the AOA internship in lieu of his transitional year.

As far as other fields, as long as you tell the AOA that you're looking to seek AOA Board Certification eventually, and you complete at least some of the requirements of the internship, they'll usually grant you credit for the internship, but this isnt written in stone.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I think all went well.

Maybe I misinterpreted a post at some point?

Originally posted by DrMom

He was successful.

Thanks guys for thew update.

(I guess I could have PMed him)

Yeah, thanks for the info. Its fun to decide where you want to go to school and what you want to do but there are things like the "5 states required internship" that just make me scrach my head. I'm interested in living in Florida if not for school then for later. I'm not one for shying away from work, its just that sometimes it feels like there is extra work that is assigned in regards to the state bylaws. Thanks for the info on the AOA changes, it puts a new perspective on what they are thinking.

There will be no special fees assessed to the applicant throughout the approval review.

My personal favorite line from the above websites.

Originally posted by Derek
Does anyone remember what the 5 staes are that require you to have completed an AOA approved internship in that state in order to practice there?

Derek,

I think you may have misunderstood something with the rule. These states do not require you to do an internship in their state. They simply require that you do an AOA approved traditional rotating internship in any state. Many ACGME rotating internships qualify as long as they meet the AOAs approval (there is a process for doing this).

Russell

Also, for some residencies the internship year will count towards that and you will not "lose a year" by fulfilling the requirement.

But remember there are several types of osteopathic internships.

Check the AOA site for the most complete information.

J