Those accepted to PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skatalite

Pathology Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
those accepted to PCOM.... Can you give us any suggestions for the application process? I REALLY want to go there, but live in SC.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe set up an academic meeting with admissions people if it isn't too late. Other than that, I have no clue and do not want to give you the usual "make yourself stand out" line.

skatalite said:
those accepted to PCOM.... Can you give us any suggestions for the application process? I REALLY want to go there, but live in SC.

Shadow a doc who graduated from PCOM ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you shadow a doc who finished from PCOM and obtain a LOR, do they look highly upon that?
Rather than any DO?

bkpa2med said:
If you shadow a doc who finished from PCOM and obtain a LOR, do they look highly upon that?
Rather than any DO?

Hi bkpa2med

I really believe so

Sounds good to me, because I'm in the process of obtaining a LOR from a DO Neurologist who went to PCOM.

medhacker said:
Hi bkpa2med

I really believe so

Hmm. I'm shadowing a DO ortho that went there, and want to ask for a LOR, but he spends almost all of the time I'm there trying to convince me that going to medical school is a terrible decision: waste of time, waste of money....on and on. He hasn't really gotten to know much about me, either. I'm thinkin' he couldn't possibly write a good LOR... Still, I'd love to go to PCOM. Whadda ya think - ask him or not?

Orthodoc40 said:
Hmm. I'm shadowing a DO ortho that went there, and want to ask for a LOR, but he spends almost all of the time I'm there trying to convince me that going to medical school is a terrible decision: waste of time, waste of money....on and on. He hasn't really gotten to know much about me, either. I'm thinkin' he couldn't possibly write a good LOR... Still, I'd love to go to PCOM. Whadda ya think - ask him or not?

I wouldn't get it from him, he sounds bitter towards medicine, who knows how strong his letter will be. Try to find another DO. Any reason why you chose him?

medhacker said:
I wouldn't get it from him, he sounds bitter towards medicine, who knows how strong his letter will be. Try to find another DO. Any reason why you chose him?

I'll agree with that... you would like to have a reference from a role model or mentor, not a disgruntled "I wish I were doing something else" doctor. On the other hand, find out from him why he regretted going into medicine and compare his reasons to your own. Keep those notes in mind when you write your personal statement or craft your realistic perspective on a medical career.

Yes, I would shadow a different DO.

medhacker said:

Well my main reason was he was handy! He joined the group at the hospital I've been working at, since I've been interested in and doing various orthopedic activities, and since he went to PCOM and I am interested in going there, it seemed like a good idea to ask!

Now that I'll be starting a full time job, it may be pretty hard to find anyone else to shadow for a while. I agree though that if possible, finding another DO would be good and probably not to ask him for a letter. I've asked him a lot about why he has regretted going into medicine. We've spent a good deal of time on that - I really wanted to know. It's really the same reasons you hear from many MANY other physicians (MD or DO). Not worth the time, the money, the incredible effort. Getting paid/reimbursed less and less every year (especially for surgical procedures)...More and more paperwork... If you've talked to physicians, you've heard the warnings.

Orthodoc40 said:
Well my main reason was he was handy! He joined the group at the hospital I've been working at, since I've been interested in and doing various orthopedic activities, and since he went to PCOM and I am interested in going there, it seemed like a good idea to ask!

Now that I'll be starting a full time job, it may be pretty hard to find anyone else to shadow for a while. I agree though that if possible, finding another DO would be good and probably not to ask him for a letter. I've asked him a lot about why he has regretted going into medicine. We've spent a good deal of time on that - I really wanted to know. It's really the same reasons you hear from many MANY other physicians (MD or DO). Not worth the time, the money, the incredible effort. Getting paid/reimbursed less and less every year (especially for surgical procedures)...More and more paperwork... If you've talked to physicians, you've heard the warnings.

I would ask him for the LOR, but also ask him if you can see it prior to him submiting it. Slightly unethical (lol), but better than being screwed.

USArmyDoc said:
I would ask him for the LOR, but also ask him if you can see it prior to him submiting it. Slightly unethical (lol), but better than being screwed.

That's tempting...I mean, there's no harm in my asking him if he feels he could write a good LOR for me. He could say no, although I still wouldn't trust it enough to not read it first! :laugh:

thanks, sounds like good adivice.. I just shadowed a PCOM graduate and didn't know he went to PCOM beforehand. He really liked the school.

medhacker said:
Shadow a doc who graduated from PCOM ;)

Orthodoc40 said:
That's tempting...I mean, there's no harm in my asking him if he feels he could write a good LOR for me. He could say no, although I still wouldn't trust it enough to not read it first! :laugh:

I really wouldn't bother if I were you. If he is bitter, who else knows that he is bitter about medicine. :thumbdown: Its a tempting idea to have him write one, however, his letter may not stand out vs. a person who has a DO from another institution who writes a SIGNIFICANTLY stronger rec. If he is that bitter, he is not going to give it his all to write that LOR. Trust me, but the ultimate decision is yours. :cool:

skatalite said:

Hey Skatalite. If you are really interested in PCOM register for one of their informational sessions and schedule a meeting with Marsha Williams or Deborah Benvenger. (July 13th and August 3rd) If you cannot make those meetings, PCOM usually has a huge open house during the first two/three weeks of September. Roughly around 150 people show up to it and lots of people set up meetings to talk with the ADCOM about their primary application.

I agree with the previous posts obout getting a LOR from a PCOM graduate. Lots of the people in the Class of 2010 received LOR's from PCOM docs so I think they carry a good amount of weight.