Those applying to PGY2-4 programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for those who are applying to this format. First off...prelim or transitional, for you? And if prelim...are you applying to all the prelims at thos hospital with the pgy2-4 program, or just sticking to maybe 2 or 3 places? Just curious to what everyone is thinking of doing. This is the only drag of having three different residency program formats.

Members don't see this ad.

i am thinking transitional but have not really looked into it yet. I should probably get on that.

Quick question for those who are applying to this format. First off...prelim or transitional, for you? And if prelim...are you applying to all the prelims at thos hospital with the pgy2-4 program, or just sticking to maybe 2 or 3 places? Just curious to what everyone is thinking of doing. This is the only drag of having three different residency program formats.

Do a transitional year if you can get it. Otherwise, as painful as it might be, do a medicine year. Under no circumstances do a surgery year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a transitional year if you can get it. Otherwise, as painful as it might be, do a medicine year. Under no circumstances do a surgery year.

I ended up doing a preliminary medicine year because I felt I could get a lot more out of the year. Looking back on it, it seems like either of the three has their pluses/minuses, but I'm still glad I am doing this year. I'm learning some cool stuff everyday that I KNOW is gonna help me out in the ED. Also, I am getting a good number of procedures in (but this you have to actively seek in medicine) but you will get the opportunity to do central lines, lp's, intubations, arthrocentesis, and a few more stuff that will help the ED learning process a lot better.

I've talked to a few folks who did surgery and thought it was great experience too, and I'm sure you would get plenty of central lines/intubations, but i'm getting a decent number of them in my medicine program.

Okay... I suppose depending on where you do the prelim surgery year it could be useful... personally, I think working 100-hr weeks of scut and holding retractors doesn't sound like so much fun...

Okay... I suppose depending on where you do the prelim surgery year it could be useful... personally, I think working 100-hr weeks of scut and holding retractors doesn't sound like so much fun...

If a prelim in surgery is holding a retractor, that means the prelim is in the OR, which already puts the program that that person is in right at the top. Prelim surgery is dressing changes, pulling drains, clinic, and abuse. The OR doesn't figure into the equation normally.

one of my colleagues did a prelim surgical year, and he had a great time. i think it depends on the hospital. i think as EM residents you would want to avoid major universities, and top notch surgical programs as those would probably jsut have you do scut work and floor work the whole time. but if you go to a small community hospital you'll be first assist on everything, and have lots of experience putting in lines and stuff like that.

When applying to PGY 2-4 programs on ERAS, if given the choice of checking the box for "categorical" or "advanced" (for example, this shows up for UCLA/Oliveview), which do you check, or does it matter?

Actually, with the 80-hour rule in effect, interns are getting into the OR more frequently because the junior/senior residents can't staff all of the cases...

When applying to PGY 2-4 programs on ERAS, if given the choice of checking the box for "categorical" or "advanced" (for example, this shows up for UCLA/Oliveview), which do you check, or does it matter?

good question. i had the same dilemma last week when i submitted by app. i just check both of the boxes. :p i'm not really sure what the difference is btw categorical and advanced. maybe one matching at their olive view medicine prelim?

i'm pretty sure that advanced is for when you have prior training...

So this was pretty much one of my confusions-- on ERAS there is only an option for transition year to click on, no separate preliminary. But once you click on transition, there are all the options for both transition and preliminary... but which do I want? From reading this, I'm understanding that either is acceptable for before starting a 2-3 program. So that's really my question here, is either ok?
Thanks.

And then also, another question, do I have to write a separate personal statement for the prelim year? Please say no :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Two opinions is good enough for me. I finally just sent all the programs in, all with the same personal statement. At least this way if I don't get interviews I can blame you guys. :)

Blame three people. I didn't write a separate one either.

make it 4 i didnt write anything new either!

make it 4 i didnt write anything new either!

So just to get this straight one more time, you guys wrote nothing new? Or did you just a little blurb about how "In conclusion, blah blah blah, a transitional year or prelim year in medicine will make me the pimpest doctor in the land, and this is why I want to go to your program and be treated like absolute poo for a year before I do what I really want..."

ps...please say no. :thumbup:

It seems harbor-ucla has both a prelim medicine and a transitional year option. Which one would you choose, or can you apply to both? Wouldn't it be weird to interview for both places? I'm confused...

So just to get this straight one more time, you guys wrote nothing new?
ps...please say no. :thumbup:

No. Nothing new.

Blackbird: Lots of places have a prelim and TY. Most places let you apply for both and interview for both on same day.

How are you folks deciding which prelims/transitionals to apply to? That is, what criteria are you using to pick places? ...just in places you wanna live? where you are applying for the 2-4?

How do you find out about the programs? Scutwork is weak in this area.

Thanks, ncc

I think everyone has their own opinion on this matter, so take this for what it's worth, but I think a medicine year at the program you will be at is beneficial. You get to know the system before you start in the ED, you'll get to know the medicine residents that you're going to work with, and you should get to work in your ED.

I would do the TY over any prelim year. You'll have plenty of easy months to build up steam for the hard ones. I think you'll probably learn more that way. Plus, you can fit in peds, IR (lots of procedures) and anesthesia (tubes). Did I mention you get lots of easy months?

They are more competitive than prelim years, though.