I have been reading the forums at the sdn for about 6 months. I have had a lot of insight from many of the posts. Now I am in need of some advice. I am 21, and I have known that I want to go into dentistry for 2 years. I have done volunteer work with my own dentist, so I know that the field appeals to my nature and heart. I was in the process of getting a business managment degree. Now I have that I am going for a chem degree. I am now 3 years away from even being able to apply to dental school. I am not bothered by how much longer I have before I can get to my profession. But my present situations have brought me to have to make a decision that could delay my dream destination even further.(dentist) Because of the road and some of the lessons that God wants me to learn while I am here on earth, I have had to pay for everything in my life since I was 16.(lost my father) Since that point in my life I have been living w/ stepmother. The ONLY thing provided by her is a place to sleep. Without going into any detail it is time to move out. There is no way that I am going to be able to afford school,rent,vehicle,and living expenses while I work part time and go to school full time. Also a chem degree is going to require my ass in a chair and a book in my face alot so I really cant work as much as I would need to. As to my situation I have come up w/ 2 options. 1: keep going to school and taking out student loans in order to live. which I know many people in the world to this for their education. Now one obstacle to this is that the state in which I live allows 40-45 residents annually into dental school, on the flip side there are 110-120 that apply each year. So the odds for acceptance on my first try are already against me. So if for some reason I would not get in on my first try I would have only 6 months before I would be required by my pre existing student loans for the start of repayment. Option 2: I have been thinking very seriously about the Air National Guard or Army National Guard. The crapy think about either of these is that there are not any opening for a dental tech or assistant in either place. So I was thinking about joing the Air Guard, they will pay back my pre existing loans, cover tuition untill bachelor degree is achieved and still give me enough money during the month to move out. The down side is that what I would be doing would require me to put my education on hold for 1 year. But while I would be gone I would rack up enought $ to pay off vehicle, then my part time job while in school would be for living and not the bank. So basically I need some input on whether making my 3 year journey for chem degree and dentalschool a 4 year trip given my situation would be worth it. I would greatly appriciate any thoughts or advice anyone has to give to me. Thank everyone for the post they have been posting, they are an inspiration never to quit my dream. "God will never let you go through more than you can handle" "Every thing you go through in your life, you will in turn help some one because of the lessons you have learned"