Thoughts ND vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a DO myself. And I wish the term "physician" was reserved for DOs and MDs. But it's not. If you walk down the street you'll see a chiropractic practice. On the door it says, "Chiropractic Physician". The same goes for ODs and DPMs. I've seen them called, "Optometric Physicians" and "Podiatrist Physicians". NDs are also called "Naturopathic Physicians".

In the eyes of the US government, the only fully licensed physicians are MDs and DOs. But, the fact of the matter is that the term "physician" is not trademarked. Anyone with a doctoral degree is a "Doctor", but not a DO or DO.

Also, don't forget that in some states DCs and NDs are seen as "fully licensed primary care physicians". This means they can do preventive things like pap smears, and bill for it. Don't kill the messenger.

Excuse me while I cry in the fetal position for a few hours

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Additionally there are two variables to consider.
Naturopathic schools will give DOs/MDs credit for previous educational experience, and allow you to get an ND degree with 1-2 years of training.
Everyone I have met who went through the naturopathic process strongly advocated going NCNM or Bastyr. If the school you got into was not one of those two I would be less invested in it.

Can't believe it's been almost an entire 25 hours since this gem was posted without someone saying something about it. I might just have to go get my ND after I finish residency instead of doing a fellowship. Neuro Speed, D.O., N.D..

Yeah.

Can't believe it's been almost an entire 25 hours since this gem was posted without someone saying something about it. I might just have to go get my ND after I finish residency instead of doing a fellowship. Neuro Speed, D.O., N.D..

Yeah.

I will track you down and punch you in the face if you do that.
In. The. Face.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not worried. All those letters after my name will shield me from your pathetic attempts to harm me, you simple D.O.

Bring it.

Careful. They're quite adept at mop-and-bucket-fu.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not worried. All those letters after my name will shield me from your pathetic attempts to harm me, you simple D.O.

Bring it.
Betta get an NP while you're at it Ace.
Watch out I'll go Kirksville crunch on yo butt

DOs and NDs are both doctors and physicians. But remember, so is a DC. But, you will be unable to get an unrestricted license in all 50 states unless you are a DO.

So, if you want to be a licensed, unrestricted physician in all 50 states- go DO.
Can ND bill Medicare/Medicaid? If not, it would be hard to say that they are physicians...

Can ND and DC call themselves 'medical doctors'? I know they can say they are doctors, but I am not sure if they can call themselves 'medical doctors'.

Can ND and DC call themselves 'medical doctors'? I know they can say they are doctors, but I am not sure if they can call themselves 'medical doctors'.
only MDs and DOs can call themselves medical doctors

DOs and NDs are both doctors and physicians. But remember, so is a DC. But, you will be unable to get an unrestricted license in all 50 states unless you are a DO.

So, if you want to be a licensed, unrestricted physician in all 50 states- go DO.
NDs are legally allowed to use the name "doctor" but not "physician" in all the states I have looked up the legislation on. California has perhaps the most balls-to-the-wall batshiat crazy ND laws, and even they specifically forbid NDs from calling themselves physicians:

http://www.calnd.org/scope-of-practice

NDs Can:

• Identify themselves as Doctors. (Un-licensable naturopaths may continue to call themselves naturopaths but may not use the terms ND or Naturopathic Doctor.)
  • Perform physical exams including gynecological exams
  • Order lab tests and imaging studies
  • Perform CLIA waved tests in office, such as urinalyses and pregnancy - however, this requiresapplying for lab director status
  • Collect gynecological and venipuncture specimens
  • Diagnose
  • Treat with diet, herbs, nutrients, homeopathics, hydrotherapy, neuromuscular technique Grades 1-4
  • Prescribe natural and synthetic hormones (although testosterone and HCG require a DEA number) as well as Schedule IV-V drugs under MD or DO supervision, and Schedule III under a patient specific protocol with your supervising MD or DO (find out more about scheduled drugs here).
  • Dispense drugs or any other substances an ND is allowed to legally prescribe or furnish, as long as all specific requirements are met (labeling requirements, etc.)
  • Administer IV/IM/SC injections and IV preparations
  • Hire Naturopathic Medical Assistants
NDs Cannot:

• Identify themselves as physicians
  • Prescribe Schedule I-II drugs. (These are largely drugs with high abuse potential such as heroin, cocaine and methamphetamines.) Cannabis is a Schedule I drug.
  • Perform grade 5 manipulations
  • Suture
  • Practice midwifery (unless they are also licensed midwives)
  • Hire nurses

Jesus Christ on a solar-powered bicycle, an ND vs DO thread!!!

You know what, if I interview for a job at two different companies, I always make it a point to not research anything about them and why they are different.

Go ND. I love herbs. They add depth and flavor to any dish.

Now, where's the anti-vaccine thread?

Hahahahah! That's so perfect

I'm a DO myself. And I wish the term "physician" was reserved for DOs and MDs. But it's not. If you walk down the street you'll see a chiropractic practice. On the door it it may says: "Chiropractic Physician". (In fact, the DC practice down my street says, "Chiropractic Sports Medicine Physician" on the door. He gets away with it.) The same goes for ODs and DPMs. I've seen them called, "Optometric Physicians" and "Podiatrist Physicians". NDs are also called "Naturopathic Physicians".

In the eyes of the US government, the only fully licensed physicians are MDs and DOs. But, the fact of the matter is that the term "physician" is not trademarked. Anyone with a doctoral degree is a "Doctor", but not a DO or DO.

Also, don't forget that in some states DCs and NDs are seen as "fully licensed primary care physicians". This means they can do preventive things like pap smears, and bill for it. Don't kill the messenger.
That is terrifying.

Idk if this is a joke or not but improve your app and apply md or do. 99 percent of DOs are matching into residencies in all specialties while I have never heard of or seen an actual ND in practice