Thoughts on Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's impression of Baylor? On the one hand, I could see having training at Texas children's and Texas hearts is close to as good as it gets. On the other hand, I heard from ut Houston residents that Baylor residents are seen as being less clinically prepared -- book smarts.

I was wondering also about ut Houston. Seemed like a solid program in a great city. But also had dos/imgs was my impression.

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor and UT-houston seemed to have a big rivalry with one another. I wouldnt believe a word one said about the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a long reply typed out but then the app crashed. I'm a student at Baylor. In short, I think that Baylor offers a very comprehensive clinical experience. High volume, high acuity, good specialty exposure as far as I can tell. At least a couple of well known fellowships (cardiac and peds, and then peds cardiac if that floats your boat).

I know that UT-Houston has had some recent leadership changes, so I'm essentially taking the high road here regarding what I heard from residents...I've heard that there have been some positive changes, so I'm not convinced the stuff I heard from CA-3s is still applicable.

What are people's impression of Baylor? On the one hand, I could see having training at Texas children's and Texas hearts is close to as good as it gets. On the other hand, I heard from ut Houston residents that Baylor residents are seen as being less clinically prepared -- book smarts.

I was wondering also about ut Houston. Seemed like a solid program in a great city. But also had dos/imgs was my impression.
If you are interested in a CT fellowship at THI, then going to Baylor is in your best interest.

Bump

I would appreciate hearing what other applicants, current BCM residents, or recent grads have to say about the program.

As a categorical anesthesia intern who also went to med school here, Baylor Med is wonderful. The intern year is very well balanced, and you get the opportunity to really delve into various patient populations in different settings right off the bat. The program directors are extremely pro-resident, and we all get along great!

Can't speak about UT-Houston, but from what I remember at their interview day, they have a great curriculum as well! Whatever you hear from residents at one program about another is usually nonsense - unless you've trained at both, it's all hearsay.

Does anyone have detailed info from UT such as case numbers? I lost all the papers they gave out during the interview and am now trying to make a little more objective comparison of UT vs Baylor before I finalize my rank list.

I got a better impression from UT on interview day in terms of quality of general clinical experience, but my ultimate goal is peds academics, so I'm thinking Baylor might be better as they are affiliated with Texas Childrens. Any one have advice? Thank you!