Thoughts on different curriculums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanDawg_4

Reaction score
I’m deciding between Loyola Stritch SSOM and Michigan State CHM. Loyola is more traditional, while MSU seems to have a unique curriculum based on “chief complaints”. Any thoughts on these two curriculum options and how learning / step preparation is the same or different?

Members don't see this ad.

How do they determine class rank/AOA and which one is more prestigious? That is what really matters now that Step 1 is pass/fail, not the order that you learn stuff in M1/M2. To be honest, the chief complaint curriculum sounds a little gimmicky, but could be cool I guess, if done right.

Reactions: 1 users
How do they determine class rank/AOA and which one is more prestigious? That is what really matters now that Step 1 is pass/fail, not the order that you learn stuff in M1/M2. To be honest, the chief complaint curriculum sounds a little gimmicky, but could be cool I guess, if done right.
I'm not sure how they determine class rank, I'd have to look more into that! I know an M4 at CHM and he said that for AOA they take into account clinical grades, leadership, volunteering, teaching but Loyola might be different than MSU.

For pre-clinical years, both are pass/fail. Also I know Loyola does honors/high pass/pass/fail for clinical years, but not sure what MSU does (I inquired about that)

Also as far as prestige, I am not sure if the difference is significant enough: Loyola is 61 by residency directors, 88 USNews, while MSU is 88 by RDs and unranked USNews. Both are more patient care focused than research, although there are research opportunities at both.

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to curriculum, you really need to reach out to actual students and find out yourself which curriculum you feel more suitable to you. I'm sure there were medical students during your interview that you can contact.

Regarding prestige and AOA membership, they're definitely helpful but not as important as your board scores (STEP 2 will replace Step 1), LoR, and PS. It looks like you have two good options to choose from. Again, reach out to current students and follow your heart.

I’m deciding between Loyola Stritch SSOM and Michigan State CHM. Loyola is more traditional, while MSU seems to have a unique curriculum based on “chief complaints”. Any thoughts on these two curriculum options and how learning / step preparation is the same or different?
Everything I've seen or heard about board scores is that curriculum really doesn't matter. Have a feeling we could all lecture standing on our heads and your board scores will still be the same.
You have to think about how you will be interested in these curricula, because as an adult learner your learning style is the key thing to consider.

as an adult learner your learning style is the key thing to consider.
This reminded me of another thing I should have said to OP...find out how much stuff is mandatory at both schools during preclinicals. You want the least mandatory amount of stuff possible so you can study how you want to. Team based learning and/or an innovative curriculum sound fun on interview day, but when you have 800 Anki reviews and 5 hours of lectures per day to watch, you want as much unscheduled time as possible.

Also, find out what their strategy is for Step 2 CK dedicated time and how much time you get for away's in fourth year.

• Love