Thoughts on Diversity Essay for Secondary Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coollime21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new member to SDN and this is my first post! Its so exciting! Anyways, I applied for 2018 cycle (M.D.). I need some ideas about what to write for my diversity essay. I am an American citizen (my dad is from California) who was born and raised outside of US. I came to US to go to college when I was 17. Graduated with Psychology major. I am bilingual, know ASL at intermediate level, and French at beginner level. I have clinical and non clinical experiences both in and outside of US. I believe that I would be considered as a diverse student. I am thinking about mentioning my language and cultural diversity. Can you give me any ideas as to how I can connect my diverse background to what I can contribute to medical schools as a "unique" candidate?

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Step One is to read the stuff on this thread: A Compilation of Essential SDN Wisdom

Step Two is to read times when someone similar has asked a similar question. Here's one: Struggling with Diversity Essay read Goro's answer. Search the forum for more answers.

Step Three is to understand what they want. It isn't a sufficiently diverse class photo. Languages are already covered on the AMCAS. Everyone has clinical and nonclinical experience. What makes you special? It isn't having been born in another country--it's what you do with it.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
First off, welcome!

I think you should start with a search for related threads and see what you can come up with. Some common advice is that the essay isn't to explain your ethnic background necessarily, but to tell a school what you add to a class. This can be through diverse experience, background, talent, anything. See this post from yesterday about a similar topic:

The “diversity” prompt for secondaries (as in "How will you add to the diversity of our class"?) is NOT about your ethnic background. It’s about what unique thing do you bring to the entering Class? Think of it this way: if I asked your three best friends “what’s the coolest thing about you?” what would they say?

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users