Thoughts on Michigan's new postbacc program – MEDPREP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosoraptor92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I majored in the humanities at UM and graduated magna cum laude / Phi Beta Kappa in May of 2015 with a 3.9 GPA. Recently, I was accepted to Michigan's new postbacc pre-med program, MEDPREP. My decision to pursue a career in medicine came late in the current admissions cycle, so UM is the only program to which I applied.

This is a very new program. If I accept, I'll be joining its second-ever cohort of postbacc students without any of the linkages and historical matriculation stats of well-established programs like Bryn Mawr, Columbia or WashU. On the positive side, I get the sense that Michigan is working hard to establish this program by providing students with abundant research and volunteering opportunities, plus frequent interaction with current medical school faculty.

Any advice on how to think through this decision? I could hold off and apply to some more established programs next cycle, but I'm also eager to get started. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to their incoming cohort as well. I have some reservations about the program as well, but am feeling it out as it goes and talking more to the director to put some feelings at ease.
I get the feeling that they are really trying to make the program something great, which is always reassuring.

I can share my own process in acceptance, although I am OOS so that had a huge factor with whether or not I'd accept:
1- Tuition
2- Academic advising/tutoring/support
3- Timeline for completion
4- Glide year assistance/ med school app assistance

But in the end you know yourself best!

I was just invited to interview for the Michigan MEDPREP program. Did either of you end up attending? Any insight you could offer. I also have some reservations about the program due to the lack of information out there

Any post-back affiliated with a U.S. medical school will always be ideal and for the most part credible-especially a strong program like UM. Worst case scenario: you get a rigorous education and establish rapport with well-respected academians and adcom reps.