Thoughts on Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologyreviews2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF vs. Hopkins vs. Penn vs. Brigham, any thoughts on ranking these?

Members don't see this ad.

All are top names and will provide great training. Locations obviously vary greatly. UCSF is the best academic name. BWH is the most cush.

Your first decision is east or west coast. Interesting to note that there are no UCSF grads currently at BWH, Penn, or Hopkins for radiology residency (or MGH for that matter). In contrast, UCSF radiology has residents who went to HMS, Penn, and Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your first decision is east or west coast. Interesting to note that there are no UCSF grads currently at BWH, Penn, or Hopkins for radiology residency (or MGH for that matter). In contrast, UCSF radiology has residents who went to HMS, Penn, and Hopkins.

UCSF students are weak?

From the 2015 UCSF Match List:

Radiology - Diagnostic

UCSF , CA
Stanford , CA
Harbor-UCLA , CA
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital , CA
U of Washington , WA
MGH , MA
Maimonides Medical Center , NY
Cornell , NY

Or everyone just wants to go to California and then never wants to leave.
I'm not sure how I feel about the fanaticism about California. Housing is expensive, it's spread out so you have to drive everywhere, it has earthquakes, it has drought, it doesn't have seasons, it has high income tax rates, when people don't like you they're passive aggressive rather than straightforward, etc. People in Cali feel like they're the best part of the country in the same kind of slimy way people in NYC think they're the center of the world. They're kind of blinded to the rest of the country.

Choose based on location. If you know you want to stay in NE after you are done, go to MGH, BWH or other strong programs in NE. If you want to stay in California, definitely go to UCSF, Stanford or other local strong programs.

Politics are very local. When it comes to job hunt or CHANGING JOBS the most important factor is who you know and who knows you. There are very few UCSF or Stanford graduates in private practices in Boston and there are very few graduates of MIR or MGH in private practice in SF or LA or SD COMPARED to graduate of local programs.

I'm not sure how I feel about the fanaticism about California. Housing is expensive, it's spread out so you have to drive everywhere, it has earthquakes, it has drought, it doesn't have seasons, it has high income tax rates, when people don't like you they're passive aggressive rather than straightforward, etc. People in Cali feel like they're the best part of the country in the same kind of slimy way people in NYC think they're the center of the world. They're kind of blinded to the rest of the country.

Then you live somewhere else. No brainer.

I don't say it is better or worse than Texas or Ohio. But if you don't like it, then choose a different location. As a person who has lived in most parts of the country in my life, I can tell you that high expenses and the "center of word" attitude exist in most large metropolitan coastal cities.

After 3-4 years of working in private practice with radiologist income, your priorities will change. The income tax that you pay in California is not as important as living in a place that you like it. Expensive housing can work in your favor, believe it or not. People including me who bought a house 5 years ago in California have benefited a lot from the booming housing market in the last few years. Not having seasons in only correct for the southern and not northern part of the state and anyway it means NO STROM and NOT DAMN COLD WINTER.

Have never lived in California myself, so can't comment on how it compares to other places. Many people who grew up or moved to California end up never leaving is the only point I was making.

I am just thankful that there are people who think like you, because otherwise only the best of the best could break into CA

After California, I would say the next toughest markets to crack are Boston and NYC (these are very difficult as well). If you are dead set on staying in CA, go to UCSF/Stanford/UCLA/UCSD. If you are dead set on staying in Boston, go to MGH/BWH. Cornell/NYU/Columbia for NYC.