• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Thoughts on these Western programs

po' boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2001
Portland, OR
  1. Attending Physician
    Hi all,

Could anyone share information on these four programs? Which would you choose and why?

Denver
    Stanford
    OHSU
    UCSD

Yes, I've done searches for past posts, and yes, I've interviewed at these places and have my own thoughts. I'm just looking to see what other people have heard or noticed about these programs. Please, no flames, or if you really must flame, PM me. I'm hoping that this board can be a source of cooperative information, as it has always been for me. Thank you all in advance.

po'

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Sep 5, 2004
    Chicago
    1. Attending Physician
      I wish stanford was in downtown SF.... Palo alto is too suburban for me and IMO there's too much commuting. Otherwise, it seems like a decent curicullum, with a fair amount of elective time for a 3-yr program.

dlung

Postprelim intern oranges
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 10, 2004
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        I can't believe their resident salaries are so high. It's not fair. :(

Since I'm procrastinating with my presentation on British Anti-Lewisite, I'm going to write some stuff.

How the Stanford Cardinal Mascot (the most viscious-looking tree I've ever seen) came into existence is the best story ever. So, a long time ago, the Stanford mascot was an indian or something. Realizing that this was stupid and generally not nice, they trashed it. In the process of trying to figure out a good replacement mascot, being in a bright anti-conformist culture, the students decided to go for the most anti-mascot they could think of, which was... a tree. :D

The Stanford marching band is the funniest ever too. I believe they're banned from Notre Dame for a while 'cause they all wore pope hats there once. :laugh: My ambulance co. used to staff the Cal-Stanford football games -- that year the cheerleaders dressed up as cop-themed hookers, completed with fish net stockings, short leather-looking skirts, handcuffs, short bleach-blond wigs, and caps. :laugh:

on a serious note, you can PM me about UC San Diego. I'm here now for tox which means I've interacted with several of the faculty, fellows, and residents.

About the Ads

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 5, 2003
          What does everyone think of the following programs-I am having a really tough time deciding:

LA County/USC
          Maricopa-AZ
          UC Irvine
          UCSF-Fresno

I loved all of them! Someone help. Am looking for a good program, I dont care about 3 yr vs 4 yr, that will prepare me well, and hopefully end up with a good job in Southern Cal.

Thanks for your advice.

dlung

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 10, 2004
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
            Methuselah said:
            . Similarly, UCD gets tons of trauma experience. Most of the attendings were pretty decent with the exception of one cantakerous old cuss who shall remain nameless. Sacramento isn't terrible, but it wouldn't be my first choice of locale. OHSU is in a great city, but the program in my opinion leaves some to be desired, namely very little trauma and marginal pediatrics experience. In short, I'd go Denver, UCD, OHSU.
            [/QUOTE]

Do you mean Davis or San Diego? If you mean San Diego, I'm doing non-EM rotations here right now and I get the opposite impression.

dlung

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jun 10, 2004
            1. Fellow [Any Field]
              joaquin13 said:
              What does everyone think of the following programs-I am having a really tough time deciding:

LA County/USC
              Maricopa-AZ
              UC Irvine
              UCSF-Fresno

I loved all of them! Someone help. Am looking for a good program, I dont care about 3 yr vs 4 yr, that will prepare me well, and hopefully end up with a good job in Southern Cal.

Thanks for your advice.

Those are fairly different programs--location-wise. I rotated at LAC and if you don't mind the work-conditions, you'll be a freakin' stud coming out of there. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

I've met a ton of the faculty, med students, and some pre-meds at UCI and it seems like a pretty happy place, but it's definitely not a LAC, Maricopa, or Fresno.

po' boy

10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Jan 13, 2001
              Portland, OR
              1. Attending Physician
                I meant San Diego, and would like to hear thoughts about that program (re: trauma especially).

Hasn't anyone heard anything about Stanford? Seemed like a really strong program with only a couple downsides (12 hour shifts, significant commutes) but an amazing curriculum. Am wondering why it's not on more people's radar. Thanks for your thoughts, especially methusalah. Keep 'em coming.

dlung said:
                Those are fairly different programs--location-wise. I rotated at LAC and if you don't mind the work-conditions, you'll be a freakin' stud coming out of there. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

I've met a ton of the faculty, med students, and some pre-meds at UCI and it seems like a pretty happy place, but it's definitely not a LAC, Maricopa, or Fresno.

hello23

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Sep 28, 2004
                  USC/LAC is known for not having enough teaching or supervision...very poor ancillary support....It's pretty chaotic for both patients and residents...but I totally agree wih others, if you can survive that type of environment, you should come out very strong

UCI...very opposite to USC...one of very cush program in so cal...but I hate the fact that we got interviewed by a nurse who told me that the reason for the nurse interview is to screen out people who don't work well with nurse...because the tension between nurse and resident are kind of on the bad side.

UCDavis, I think, it's the strongest of all three you mentioned.. Full department within hospital and med school...awesome training from what I have seen...very well established...but they have been looking for the dept chair for a long time...but I don't think that affect the residency...it's not like the pd is changing.

UCSD...just enough trauma to get RRC approval

UCSF/Fresno= only if you like 1-4 year AND Fresno.

TylerDurden

15+ Year Member
                  Jul 27, 2003
                  1. Attending Physician
                    From what I hear most residents at Stanford think all the positives outweight the commute and longer shifts. And they get paid significantly more than most other programs in California, possibly because they get support from Stanford and SF General.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Jun 5, 2003
                      any other thoughts on LA County or Maricopa? I just got an email from LA County saying that they are adding 7 new faculty, very impressive! They hope this will help with increased resident supervision, which apparently is one of the negatives on the LAC/USC program.

hello23

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Sep 28, 2004
                        I got that email too...but they didn't mention who these 7 faculty are...where they are from, etc...seems a little bit fishy....but I guess more is better...anyway...but I hope none of them is newbie faculty who just graduated from somewhere...

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.