Thoughts on this food donation delivery activity as a main source of non-clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been volunteering as a "Food Rescue Hero" since 2020 (albeit a 6-7 month break because of a clinical job). It's a food donation delivery gig. I use my own car to drive to food donation sites (grocery stores, restaurants, etc.), and then drive to drop-off centers, which vary from women's shelters, youth centers, community tables, to food banks in the OC community. (within the same day). These trips are on average ~20-25 miles. (some are less, at around 10).

I was looking for another volunteering gig, but it's been very unstable (some programs shutting down until further notice due to delta, etc.) trying to find something consistent. I have been able to find a grocery distribution activity, but it's incredibly physical and I'm finding it difficult.

I'm looking to just have all my non-clinical hours from this Food Finders activity. It's flexible, and I find it rewarding. Here's a link to the site: Food Finders - Rescuing Food and Reducing Hunger

This is something I'll most likely continue to do regardless of how applying to med school turns out.

What are your thoughts on it? I just hope the activity doesn't seem too "easy" because it's mostly driving (I do load/unload the donations myself). Should this be something I just dedicate all my volunteering time to instead of trying to find something more "in-person"?

Members don't see this ad.

You are giving your time and the skills you have (driving and toting) and providing help to people who could not do this themselves. That said, sometimes volunteer experiences that help you get to know people and their circumstances is better for YOU and your education as these people, or people like them, may someday be your patients.

Reactions: 5 users