Thoughts on this study approach for Step 1 (Kaplan + UFAP. Missing any HY recommendations?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tympany

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scheduled Step 1 is roughly in 4 months and I don’t know nearly enough for a lot of systems in First Aid. Particularly Biochem, Neurology, Cardio, Pulm, MSK, Heme.

I was thinking of focusing my studies using Kaplan for the general info, Pathoma for pathology, and then First Aid and Uworld after I get a better understanding of everything. I wish I could just do FA, but I don’t think I know the basics enough. Plan is doing 1 system a week.

My concerns are if this will this be sufficient enough? Also, I’m wondering if I’m missing anything in Kaplan or any other HY resources. Kaplan is a little hard to navigate since it’s not organized by systems like First Aid. It seems like for most of the systems, I could mainly focus on the the Kaplan physio videos?

If you could check out my potential study resources, and critique or add any other HY resources, I would really appreciate it.
I’m thinking something like (Sorry if I’m being completely dense in my study plan):

1) Biochem: Kaplan Biochemistry book/videos + uworld and FA
2) Neurology: Kaplan Neuroscience + UFAP (does Kaplan Neuroscience cover the majority of Neurology on the boards?)
3) Cardio/Pulm: Kaplan cardio and pulm physiology (sections 4-7 in their physiology section) and UFAP (same question; is Kaplan Physio + UFAP enough for cardio and pulm on the boards?)
4) MSK/Heme: Not to sure what Kaplan videos correlate with these. +UFAP of course.

Will probably read BRS physio too.

Members don't see this ad.

Try not to miss the woods for the trees.
Remember to focus on understanding the concepts and not the resources.
FA is an excellent guide but you have to use other resources to get the thorough understanding required for this test.
Different resources works for different people e.g. some people are visual learners ans some learn better by reading.
So, choose your resources based on what has worked for you in the past.
DO NOT cram too many resources into your schedule and try doing as many questions as possible. Maybe do another QBank in addition to UW.

My advice:
Read FA > test your understanding by doing questions on that topic > Read/Watch Video on your weak topics using whatever resource you are comfortable with.
Take an NBME to gauge your progress > Rinse and repeat.