Thoughts on west/southwest pathology programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shr121314

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to hear some opinions on the relative strengths of west/southwest path residency programs, and particularly the following programs in terms of AP training (as a component of AP/CP residency) - UNM, UW, UTSW. In particular I wonder which have the sort of faculty that can impart the gems of diagnostic pathology that senior residents, fellows, or practising pathologists most benefit from.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did a heme path fellowship at UTSW (which is a stand-out division IMHO). Overall, the residents I worked with seemed to have a good solid grasp of AP. As a fellow I didn't rotate through the different AP divisions, but we were consulted on a lot of cases from surg path and cytology and the AP attendings were obviously knowledgable and very easy to work with. CP seemed unusually strong, which in my experience is not the rule at most places. Really strong training in TM/coag (I did one month as a fellow). The culture there is very resident friendly. The resident schedules were better than where I did residency and the residents had lots of elective time. At least in my division, the attendings went out of their way to teach/help the residents (the residents asked if they could get a board review, so the attendings stay late a few nights each month and host a board prep). I think you could do a lot worse, but there are a lot of great places to train in the west/southwest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a resident at any of the stated programs, but I did interview at UNM and UW.

UNM seemed to have solid general training, with the standouts being heme and forensic path. I think their molecular was supposed to be solid as well. From what I recall, the AP and CP training were integrated, which in retrospect would be a plus IMO. The COL is great with excellent outdoor opportunities. Full disclosure, I will be going there for a FP fellowship.

The UW to be sure had more of an academic feel. Definitely more of an emphasis on subspecialization, which is not a bad thing, just different. The AP and CP are separate, which does have advantages, but I am not a huge fan. There is a large variety of fellowships, including FP. The location can be a large plus for some, others may hate the rain.

I cannot comment on the day to day issues either program has, hopefully current residents will chime in or PM you. I will say that I ranked both highly and would have been happy at either. Also, think about where you want to end up, as moving institutions for fellowship can (will) be a pain. Fellowship time is where you make job connections, or so I am told. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to share your experiences/understanding - it all helps. I guess when you get down to a tight decision it might indicate that all the options are of pretty similar quality, by and large. Would anyone disagree?

Last edited:
I would say they are overall of similar quality but may be better suited for you depending on your interests. Any idea of what fellowship you want to do? Shooting for academia or PP? Or the dark side, FP? Also, how far are these programs away from you ultimately want to end up? I would venture that they have similar regional name recognition, but nationally I am not sure.

Certainly UW and UTSW have a broader range of fellowships. That said, what UNM offers appears to be in areas of strength (which happen to be areas of interest to me).

I'm still keen to hear of any final opinions on whether any out there feel there are substantial differences in the quality or reputation of the UNM, UW and UTSW AP departments. Or is it a case of much of a muchness?