Thought's Please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before the fall semester starts, I was thinking of starting my Personal Statement. As I was reading about PS and how to begin, I had a sudden thought that I wanted feedback on.

Advanced warning, this is going to sound unusual but it's just something that popped into my mind the other night.

What do you all think of starting a PS off with an obituary? Or a Legacy Will/Last Lecture type of opening?

Does anyone know of anyone who has done this?

Last semester I took a Lifespan Development class. And part of our last assignment was to write our own obituary. My obit is not long, or boisterous or anything like that. It's just my personal sincere thoughts on how I would like to be remembered, not recognized; as a person committed to a life of service to others.

So with that said, what do you think?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually like the idea of opening with your obit. Of course I know nothing about personal statement guidelines and, thankfully, won't have to worry about that for a few years.

I think it will work because it shows where you want to be, instead of just telling them where you have been and where you want to go.

Based on my knowledge of personal statements, I don't believe there is a hard rule that you have to write the entire thing in first person. Giving it a narrative might set you apart from the competition. Then again, I repeat lol, I don't know anything about what is accepted/frowned upon in relation to a PS.

I think it could work. It's like an extreme version of those secondary essays that ask you for "a day in your life" 10 years from now. Except yours is more like 60 years from now!

Members don't see this ad :)
It might work, but my gut reaction is that this is the wrong venue to try it. The PS isn't a creative writing exercise, and what you don't want is for your adcom readers to remember you for the wrong reasons. Just explain why medicine and what clinical/service experiences you have to back that up. Unless you're a master writer (and maybe even then), trying to be super creative is likely to get you into trouble.

I like that you're starting your PS early and think you should just start writing now and see where it takes you. What really helped me was I typed out in BIG GIANT FONT "WHY MEDICINE?" at the top of my page and responded with whatever came to mind. Don't worry about having a "hook" or thinking of specific examples to draw the reader in.

I was a victim of re-hashing my resume/activities section for so long and had no idea how to address it until I did just that^^.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
I like that you're starting your PS early and think you should just start writing now and see where it takes you. What really helped me was I typed out in BIG GIANT FONT "WHY MEDICINE?" at the top of my page and responded with whatever came to mind.

I was a victim of re-hashing my resume/activities section for so long and had no idea how to address it until I did just that^^.

Good luck! :)

:thumbup::thumbup: great idea

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get more.

I also have a journal entry, that I wrote back when I decided to pursue medicine as a nontraditional student back in 2008/09 which talks a little about why medicine. But to me, it's a little cheesy to include in a PS.

Anyway, I am not a creative writer, but I do journal a lot when I am stressed. I don't like to share my thoughts or feelings with people so I just write them down. I've been and still am going through a lot in my life, but I learn from everything; and I write most of it down.

Just wanted to give you a little more info to work with.

Thanks again.