Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afro5692

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, congratulations to those of you that have received acceptances! I am currently a teacher, but have decided to make a career change. Through my few years of experience, I have concluded that I am more passionate about helping people, rather than 'forcing' students to accept my help (if that makes sense- those of you who may have experience in education might agree). GPA stats are in my sig. I have taken courses in bio, physics and chem, but they were just general ed requirements for my major. I teach a science-type course, so have a ton of sciences, just not the right ones! Graduated college in 3 years by taking 22+ credits per semester. Anyways, I am pursuing an informal post-bacc at the nearby university, which also happens to house one of my top-choice dental schools. I have outlined my plan of attack for the prereqs I have remaining, but wanted to see what your thoughts were, first!

Summer 1 Session
-Gen Chem 1
-Gen Bio 1

Summer 2 Session
-Gen Chem 2
-Gen Bio 2

Fall Semester
-OChem 1
-A&P
-Physics 1
-Some kind of math review tutoring (I took college alg and stats a few years ago, so mostly refresher)
-Take the DAT (hopefully the only attempt I will need, but leaves enough time for retake?)

Spring Semester
-OChem 2
-Cell Bio
-Physics 2
-Retake DAT (if necessary)

Summer
-Apply!

Fall Semester
-Biochemistry
-Interviews (hopefully!)

Again, this is totally informal, so I am looking for any feedback- seriously...is it crazy? Do you recommend any other courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like a great plan! Very balanced course load as well so it should be manageable.

Only thing is most schools require labs along with the classes so you'll need to fit those in somewhere but they might be built into the class already.

Sweet! Thanks! Do you think I should take any additional upper levels?

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem and Physio were extremely helpful. Some schools also require Micro so look out for that. Not sure how much help anatomy is though, not taking that until next semester.

If you haven't already, start shadowing and building up a list of EC's. You'll also need at least 2 letters of rec from science professors along with one from a dentist, so try to get to know your teachers when you take their classes.

I think your schedules look great as well. The only remaining class I would add is Genetics, and I would personally recommend taking this before taking biochemistry since for me at least, the first 4 weeks of biochem covered stuff that I already did in genetics.

I don't know whether A&P is a one semester course. It was a two-semester class for me.

Oh and I agree, microbio is required at some schools, so I would add that to the list if you want to be more flexible during the application process. I am taking that class right now and it's not really a big deal, so you can throw it in anywhere in your schedule as long as you have the pre-req for it done :)

If you aren't working and can truly commit to a winter DAT, looks good. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with a DAT in the early summer.

Do you think the winter DAT may be too stressful with the courses and a part time job? I figured it may be better since ochem, chem and bio would be fresh?

I'll definitely add genetics and micro.

Since I'm out of school, my EC days are a little over. I'm still a member of an organization, and was heavily involved in ECs in my undergrad (president of one club, vp of another, and student body president my senior year). Also served a year as an officer for a state youth organization during my freshman year of college. Should I try to tack on some others that are more predent/dental service related while I'm back in school? Can you even join clubs as a non degree seeking? Ha!

Do you think the winter DAT may be too stressful with the courses and a part time job? I figured it may be better since ochem, chem and bio would be fresh?

I'll definitely add genetics and micro.

Since I'm out of school, my EC days are a little over. I'm still a member of an organization, and was heavily involved in ECs in my undergrad (president of one club, vp of another, and student body president my senior year). Also served a year as an officer for a state youth organization during my freshman year of college. Should I try to tack on some others that are more predent/dental service related while I'm back in school? Can you even join clubs as a non degree seeking? Ha!
You're right to take it when fresh, but I don't advise cramming. You could drop a course and take it the year after applying, or even that summer.

My ECs had virtually nothing to do with college.

Reactions: 1 user