Thread closures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD vs. DO, etc, threads - close or no?

• Yes - close them immediately.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • No - leave them open.

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to ask my colleagues if they think that immediate thread closures in this forum regarding MD vs. DO, etc., and suggesting doing a search on this beaten-to-death topic is something people agree on, approve of, and want to see happen more often.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and want to allow people to express their opinions as freely as possible.

However, these MD vs. DO threads started here seem to be evenly split between people who seem to be trolling, and others who are genuinely interested, but should be searching for past discussions to answer their questions.

What do people think? Is this appropriate? Or overbearing?

I'd also like to encourage people to either not respond if it seems like a troll, or at the very least, politely direct them to do a search on the subject before asking any questions are not answered after such a search. I think we can reduce the amount of flame wars, and still allow people genuinely curious about osteopathy to find out more.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as the search function is working, let them look at past thread...the horse won't get any deader by beating it some more. :thumbup:

Some are truly curious, so I say leave em open to see where they go. For the outright hostile and worthless threads just link em to another worthless thread that dragged on for a while. They all sound and end the same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
While search functions are nice, they don't always serve the purpose. I don't think we should close threads simply because they have been done over and over. If that was the case SDN would merely be a warehouse of information that you just had to do a search to get previously talked about subjects.

The debates and posters opinions are what makes SDN special. The same topics do make you think and sometimes you can pick up things you didn't think about before. Plus, since SDN gets new users everyday, by closing these threads, it makes the newbies think their opinions on hotly debated topics don't matter.

I have been here a looong time, and have seen many a topic on the same subjects. That's fine with me. I like reading them to see if things have changed or if opinions are the same.

Where would we stop if we started closing threads...... "what are my chances, I need to shadow a DO, is it too late to apply", etc.......?? I have seen all these threads and still want to help those who post them and try to answer them all even though I have answered the same threads over and over through the years.

Just my opinion. :)

I agree with all to some degree.... leave em open so that it in fact is no "dead-er" and infact will allow more newbies to find them and comment, possibly ask a new question, but likely ask the same old question... I think the DOMD questions are just speed bumps... you dont have to read them if you dont want to...

just thought

I don't think they should automatically be closed. Some people are new to SDN and have genuine questions about the md/do debate. I think the threads should be closed only if they turn into flame wars or are truly trollish.

There's no reason for anyone, newbie or not, to start a new thread on something already discussed. If they have something to contribute to the discussion they can post on the old thread, bringing it up on the list and people can read what they have to say, or answer their question, without wading through the same stuff over and over again.

When has a DO vs MD thread ever actually ended up in debate? I say close md vs do threads and tell them to do a search.

Amy B said:
While search functions are nice, they don't always serve the purpose. I don't think we should close threads simply because they have been done over and over. If that was the case SDN would merely be a warehouse of information that you just had to do a search to get previously talked about subjects.

The debates and posters opinions are what makes SDN special. The same topics do make you think and sometimes you can pick up things you didn't think about before. Plus, since SDN gets new users everyday, by closing these threads, it makes the newbies think their opinions on hotly debated topics don't matter.

I have been here a looong time, and have seen many a topic on the same subjects. That's fine with me. I like reading them to see if things have changed or if opinions are the same.

Where would we stop if we started closing threads...... "what are my chances, I need to shadow a DO, is it too late to apply", etc.......?? I have seen all these threads and still want to help those who post them and try to answer them all even though I have answered the same threads over and over through the years.

Just my opinion. :)

well put. :thumbup:

Like I said, the problem isn't people bringing up old issues - the problem is them starting new threads, when they could just add a post to an old thread and bring it up the list of threads.

cooldreams said:
well put. :thumbup:

Agreed, but my focus here was specifically MD vs. DO threads, not the nuts and bolts of applying, shadowing, etc.

The poll shows pretty much an even split. Not going to do anything unless there's a huge majority one way or the other.

However, if the rest of us decide that threads should stay open, I would ask that if it looks like a troll right off the bat, that we all refrain from posting and simply report it to me, or at the most redirect them to search on the issue.

If the interactions are legit, leave them open. Afterall, it is a legtimate topic of concern - one I, myself, pondered a great deal before I applied to medical school. The best way to make any decision is through education & research. I think the more senior SDN people, esp those who are residents & attendings physicians are a substantial resource for people also questioning MD vs DO.

So, I say as long as thread remains a legitimate series of interactions, leave it open. But, if & when it descends into a flame-war, close & delete it.

Leave em open unless they get seriously messy and the TOS violations become rampant. This is America, free speech and all :). If people want to look like idiots, then let them. The trolls will make themselves evident.

Well, it's been about a week and the poll reflects a 2-1 ratio in favor of leaving MD vs. DO posts up.

I bow to the collective will of my colleagues ... ;)

However, I do ask that if the the thread seems to be the work of a troll, or it begins to degrade into a flame war, that you refrain from adding to the fire, and PM me or any mod that is online at the time, and ask that action be taken.

Thanks for the participation!

Status
Not open for further replies.