Thread for Canadian Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting a thread for Canadian Applicants for 2012 admission cycle.
Please fill free to post any information useful for Canadian applicantS!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully there are not too many of us. Thats all.

I am confused as to how we submit our Canadian DAT scores. Do we simply input them in the AADSAS application form or do we have to get the Canadian Dental Association to send them to AADSAS or do they send them individually to every school? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused as to how we submit our Canadian DAT scores. Do we simply input them in the AADSAS application form or do we have to get the Canadian Dental Association to send them to AADSAS or do they send them individually to every school? :confused:

individually to each school

Do it quick cuz it takes so many days to get to schools of ur choice -_-

Have any of your Canadian transcripts been received by AADSAS yet?

I sent mine in on June 2nd, but they're STILL not received. I'm pretty sure the Canada post strike happened AFTER mine were sent, so I have no idea why they haven't been received yet.

I'm considering express mailing them again.

Have any of your Canadian transcripts been received by AADSAS yet?

I sent mine in on June 2nd, but they're STILL not received. I'm pretty sure the Canada post strike happened AFTER mine were sent, so I have no idea why they haven't been received yet.

I'm considering express mailing them again.

which city are u sending from? UTSG i'm sending from but they still haven't received it.... im gonna express mail too : (

I sent mine from UTSG regular mail last week and it arrived already. Still have two other transcripts from other universities coming in but postal strike is gonna hurt.

How are you guys sending in your checks/2x2 pics? are you guys just mailing it or express mailing it? Im afraid to send anything cuz of the postal strike... just really lame

Just out of curiosity, any UT ppl applying?

are you guys just mailing it or express mailing it?

Strike or not, send everything by express/courier. In the world of rolling admissions every day sooner you get your application complete the better. Don't bother applying to the schools that don't have a recent history of accepting Canadians. It's a waste of money.

Good luck Canucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If two dentists are just as qualified, and you had a chance to go to the ugly dentist or the HOT dentist, which one would you go to? Exactly.

How serious are you? I thought we are applying to professional schools, not dance colleges.

Last edited:
How serious are you? I thought we are applying to professional schools, not dance colleges.

Ha, I was kidding.

They want you to at least look professional and not like a slob. They will find out in the interviews, but some schools just want to do that pre-screening so you don't waste a plane ticket.

What schools did you guys end up deciding to apply to. This is my list right now. Any comments/suggestions?

1. University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
2. Western University of Health Sciences (WESTU)
3. University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
4. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
5. Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois
6. Indiana University (IND)
7. University of Louisville (UL)
8. Tufts University (TUF)
9. Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
10. University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)
11. University of Michigan (MICH)
12. University of Minnesota (MIN)
13. Creighton University (CRE)
14. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
15. New York University (NYU)
16. University at Buffalo (BUF)
17. Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU)
18. University of Pennsylvania (PENN)
19. University of Pittsburgh (PITT)
20. The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
21. University of Southern Nevada, Utah Campus (USN)

What schools did you guys end up deciding to apply to. This is my list right now. Any comments/suggestions?

That's a lot of schools. What are your GPA, DAT and ECs like?

I have like 10-12 schools. I didnt apply to #s 21,19, 17,16,14, 7,4, and 1 on ur list.

I have like 10-12 schools. I didnt apply to #s 21,19, 17,16,14, 7,4, and 1 on ur list.

Add Louisville. They just expanded to have 80 OOS seats. A Canadian friend got in last year with 22AA, 3.2 GPA.

My EC's are good as are my LOR. DATS are 20/19/19 and gpa is 3.2-3.3ish, hence my huge list of schools! are any of these not known to accept canadians?

Edit: and louisville is on my list already AlbinoPolarBear...lucky #7!!

...lucky #7!!
You guys are so cool.Thanks, i will add #7 for sure. I dont know if the other ones accept canadian students though!!!
P.S. I hope we can do some root canals together soon.

Any one wrote cDAT?

damn my transcript is not there yet

You guys are so cool.Thanks, i will add #7 for sure. I dont know if the other ones accept canadian students though!!!

laaaawll:laugh:

g'luck cowboys and cowgirls =)

hahah mee too! and yup i wrote the cDAT!! my transcript was sent by courier today ill keep you guys posted as to when it get received by AADSAS.

Anyone have any idea how to get your cDAT scores sent from the Canadian Dental Association to your schools ur applying to?

hahah mee too! and yup i wrote the cDAT!! my transcript was sent by courier today ill keep you guys posted as to when it get received by AADSAS.

Anyone have any idea how to get your cDAT scores sent from the Canadian Dental Association to your schools ur applying to?

my transcript just got received and sent it Jun 3. My school sent by regular mail but not canada post

I sent my cDATs through the cda website, you can order the scores to be sent to each school. I had already ordered mine to be sent to the states but i'm now wondering how they're gonna match it to my AADSAS ID #? :/

Whats harder, the CAN DAT, or the US DAT... CAN doesn't have organic, which is huge, like crazy huge...but maybe the other sections have harder questions??

I'd rather have Ochem, its pretty darn easy. I am writing my american DAT in 3 weeks.

I'd rather have Ochem, its pretty darn easy. I am writing my american DAT in 3 weeks.

Ditto. I would rather do OChem and Math than risk the soap breaking in half on the way to evaluators.

My EC's are good as are my LOR. DATS are 20/19/19 and gpa is 3.2-3.3ish, hence my huge list of schools! are any of these not known to accept canadians?

Edit: and louisville is on my list already AlbinoPolarBear...lucky #7!!

Yeah, I would apply to a lot of schools with your stats.

Some schools require a certain amount of shadowing hours. How many hours do you have?

I just noticed that Penn, which is alot of ppl's #1 choice, has the least strictest admission requirement (besides higher GPA stats)...Irony I would say.
Also Detroit Mercy requires highschool transcripts. Did anyone send that in yet? if so how/when? did you get a confirmation email?

Yeah, I would apply to a lot of schools with your stats.

Some schools require a certain amount of shadowing hours. How many hours do you have?

I have a ton, 500+ I've been shadowing since the summer of my 1st year of uni!

So, do we just go on the CDA site and get our scores sent from there? How does it match or AADSAS ID# to that? Im confused.

Edit: I went to the CDA website and its called the "DAT Transcript" right? Wow this is pretty expensive! $25 for the first copy then $15 for each additional one!!

Last edited:
I just noticed that Penn, which is alot of ppl's #1 choice, has the least strictest admission requirement (besides higher GPA stats)...Irony I would say.
Also Detroit Mercy requires highschool transcripts. Did anyone send that in yet? if so how/when? did you get a confirmation email?

i've been sitting staring at Penns supplemental questions and wondering if I should still apply :/

for HS transcript i had to trek all the way to the middle of nowhere records centre and had them sent. I don't think they will confirm. I sent the money order at the same time and will confirm by calling DM later

Also Detroit Mercy requires highschool transcripts. Did anyone send that in yet?

you got to be kidding me? high school? that was 4-6 years ago! As time passes, this whole process get stranger and stranger.

why? how messed up is it

from what i've heard people's essay responses have been pages and pages and i'm not sure if its gonna be worth it for a school that has limited international seats

hey fellow canuck here,

i writing my cdat in November... is anyone else writing it then??

do i have a change for 2012 cycle?
stats: science gpa 3.78 and overall gpa 3.54:)

I had a 4.0 and 4.33 for two years...

I applied to 21+ schools just cause my dat was late

hey fellow canuck here,

write American DAT. By the time you get your cDAT results in your hands, 99% of the seats will be filled. Good luck

hey fellow canuck here,

Dude, apply to western, they take your 2 best years, and they are okay with you applying in November. That's your best chance to get into dental school

I have a ton, 500+ I've been shadowing since the summer of my 1st year of uni!

So, do we just go on the CDA site and get our scores sent from there? How does it match or AADSAS ID# to that? Im confused.

Edit: I went to the CDA website and its called the "DAT Transcript" right? Wow this is pretty expensive! $25 for the first copy then $15 for each additional one!!

That's a lot of hours haha, you'll look good with schools who like lots of shadowing hours like nyu, vcu and amw. I didn't want to go through all of your schools, but for canadians, check to see if that school:
1. has high out of state acceptance rates
2. you're within 0.2 of average accepted gpa
3. you're within 2-3 points of average accepted DAT AA

Otherwise, it's just a waste of time and money. for example, you included columbia, which wants only 22+ DATs, so I would say it's unlikely you will get an interview. We are already at a disadvantage, i wouldn't suggest anyone throw money down the sink, but if you want to throw a hail mary out there... your call really..

Hey AlbinoPolarBear thanks for the advice ill definitely look into that before submitting. What school is amw? :confused:

from what i've heard people's essay responses have been pages and pages and i'm not sure if its gonna be worth it for a school that has limited international seats

I was accepted to penn. My supplemental application was about 3 pages total. I wrote a couple sentences for the first question and then about 3/4 page single spaced for each other question. It took me about 5-6 hours to do it. Its worth it to give penn a shot because it is a great school. Just get it done and you will be glad you did if you get an interview.

By the way, there were about 3-4 Canadians out of the 15 people that interviewed with me.

Generally which schools are Canadian friendly? I was planning on applying to Tufts, but apparently it's close to impossible for us.

Is everyone couriering their supplementals?
I am debating whether I should wait until the strike ends.

Lol, I've never heard of Midwestern Arizona referred to as amw. They don't take the Canadian DAT, so they're a*sholes.

My bad. MWU is what it's usually called.
Didn't know they didn't take cDAT. I wrote the American DAT so I wouldn't know.