Thread for Canadian Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Darn it. I got my TD cheque returned to me in the mail today... I guess I'll have to try again w/ a money order...

Did you send a bank draft (certified cashier's cheque) or a personal cheque?

Presumably to be safe, send a certified bank draft. Yes, it will cost extra. Columbia's website specifically says Canadian money orders are no good. I would imagine that other schools may have a difficult time with them as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you send a bank draft (certified cashier's cheque) or a personal cheque?

Presumably to be safe, send a certified bank draft. Yes, it will cost extra. Columbia's website specifically says Canadian money orders are no good. I would imagine that other schools may have a difficult time with them as well.

I sent a personal cheque :( I guess that's where I fail... but USC cashed my personal cheque already and had no problem.. I guess I'll make the huge investment and get myself a certified cashier's cheque :laugh:

I sent a personal cheque :( I guess that's where I fail... but USC cashed my personal cheque already and had no problem.. I guess I'll make the huge investment and get myself a certified cashier's cheque :laugh:

It's unfortunate. That and the additional international student application fees some schools have, plus the sending of our DAT scores from the CDA... it all adds up to a surprisingly expensive application process! I think I'll be about $2500-3000 in the hole... this better go well, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wonder why canadian schools wouldn't accept aDAT as med schools do with MCAT... it would make the process whole lot easier and faster : (

So I just wrote the dat today after a good two weeks of studying, I got my unofficial scores 21pat/24rc/22aa, my gpa is greater than 3.9. I will be submitting application tomorrow, transcripts should be at aadsas within the week, Lors are in. Now iam wondering if should follow through or apply next year cause it seems im pretty late to the game. I have gone through a bazillion threads and looks like after july 25 chances for pre-dec interviews begin to drop. I would like to get pre-dec interviews because I will be half-way across the world in the middle of nowhere after december. Thanks for your comments, wish everyone the best.

So I just wrote the dat today after a good two weeks of studying, I got my unofficial scores 21pat/24rc/22aa, my gpa is greater than 3.9. I will be submitting application tomorrow, transcripts should be at aadsas within the week, Lors are in. Now iam wondering if should follow through or apply next year cause it seems im pretty late to the game. I have gone through a bazillion threads and looks like after july 25 chances for pre-dec interviews begin to drop. I would like to get pre-dec interviews because I will be half-way across the world in the middle of nowhere after december. Thanks for your comments, wish everyone the best.

You have high stats. Apply!

Hey guys so I just submitted today to the following schools:

BU, tufts, u of p, pitts, penn, michigan, mercy, temple, maryland, case, nova, nyu, western, and midwestern.

GPA >3.9 , aDAT: Pat21/AA22/RC24/TS22

Any thoughts on my chances? ( i really need pre-dec interview or its game over for me, its the price I got pay for going to third world countries and helping put in sanitary water wells, schools etc..., something I would not miss for the world lol)

Should I apply to more schools?

Also do we have to send DAT scores or does aadsas do that?
For the supplementary fee do we send that right away or do we wait for verification to be complete?

Thanks for your help guys.

you will definitely get into some dental or even medical school with those stats,sooner or later...but i can assure u it is too late for you to get a pre dec interview. So far, Case and Midwestern have filled up all of their pre dec spots and it will be the same for the other ones. if you submitted today, your application will be done and ready for review in sept, meaning more than 5000 ppl are ahead of you. Pray and if it is your destiny to get one, you will.

Thank you for your quick reply MAdental. I hope everything works out, or else it will be very hectic 6mnths for me. I will pretty much be staying in a tent for 6 months, I hope, I pray there will be a computer (with internet) within a 10 kilometer walking radius, and I hope I can manage to squeeze in a post-dec (if i get one) out of 25 hour work day. I will run 10km everyday if I have to check my email. This is really gonna be something, atleast I have a headsup of whats comin my way and can plan a little bit. It would have been nice to be expectin pre-dec interview, but, anyways thanks your comment(s), I wish everyone the best.

Good luck. I am sure you will get in somewhere, dont stress about it.

I just noticed that Penn, which is alot of ppl's #1 choice, has the least strictest admission requirement (besides higher GPA stats)...Irony I would say.
Also Detroit Mercy requires highschool transcripts. Did anyone send that in yet? if so how/when? did you get a confirmation email?

Hey how do you know Penn's specifics?? What do they focus on ??

This is sort of off-topic, but I noticed that some people in the thread said that they attended UTPDS events. I'm the Events Director for UTPDS and just wanted to say that we're planning on having some interview seminars in the fall for folks who are preparing for American interviews. :) Hope to see you all there! And good luck!

Temples supplementary app states "checks/money orders must be drawn in united states fundas with the banks pre-printed information having a U.S Address if not they will be automatically returned"

Has anyone sent in their fee already? From which bank?..I did all my other ones through RBC and they were fine thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
having a U.S Address[/B] if not they will be automatically returned"[/I]

Has anyone sent in their fee already? From which bank?..I did all my other ones through RBC and they were fine thus far.

I have a feeling they stopped accepting Canadians; otherwise, they should KNOW not all Canadians have US bank account in US.

I have a feeling they stopped accepting Canadians; otherwise, they should KNOW not all Canadians have US bank account in US.
You would need a US account to apply to US schools if you intend to actually attend a US school.

They better accept Canadians. I'm desperate, so I went down to the states to open an American bank account.

yikes...I don't think you need to go down to the US to open a bank account...
i.e. If you get a certified cashier's check in US funds from TD bank, there is a US address on it...

So i have to make a bank account in the states to be able to pay this fee!?!? :confused:

No. US International money orders are drawn on funds held within the United States. Just purchase an order or draft from your bank in US dollars (you may need to open a U.S. account) and not from the post office.

I was able to avoid opening an account by simply having my mother write ke a corporate cheque in US dollars. I then converted this to all the drafts I needed.

All of the money orders I have sent so far have been in US funds from RBC..this will work right?

All of the money orders I have sent so far have been in US funds from RBC..this will work right?

Yes this will work. The US bank adress is on the rbc money orders. Somewhere in NY if I remember correctly.

This is sort of off-topic, but I noticed that some people in the thread said that they attended UTPDS events. I'm the Events Director for UTPDS and just wanted to say that we're planning on having some interview seminars in the fall for folks who are preparing for American interviews. :) Hope to see you all there! And good luck!

Ahh! another u of toronto student thinking that toronto is the center of canada. :)

Really? Could this be a personal preference thing? Are there some students who prefer sim labs?

Thanks for sharing your opinions man!

Yes, definitely personal preference. Many people liked it. The class was probably split. I don't know.

Ahh! another u of toronto student thinking that toronto is the center of canada. :)

Lol wha'? No! They said they were from U of T and were in the Predental Society. That's us! And I don't think Toronto is the greatest or anything. Actually the longer I live here the more I see its crippling infrastructure issues. I want to live in Vancouver pretty bad though :oops:

I just got the application complete e-mail from Louisville today. I had all my stuff sent in July 4th, including my DAT scores. Anyone else receive it today or earlier?

Yes, definitely personal preference. Many people liked it. The class was probably split. I don't know.
Hmm this interests me, I'm gonna ask the dental students on my tour. Thanks Contach!

ps. Toronto is not the centre of Canada!??!?!?

=P

did any of my fellow Canadians receive an interview yet? :xf:

Did anyone here apply to LLU? Did you do an "evaluation of international transcript"? I'm kind of confused as to what I need to do...

Lol wha'? No! They said they were from U of T and were in the Predental Society. That's us! And I don't think Toronto is the greatest or anything. Actually the longer I live here the more I see its crippling infrastructure issues. I want to live in Vancouver pretty bad though :oops:

City planning-wise Toronto is lightyears ahead of Vancouver. Vancouver is a very small city compared to Toronto... atleast for now...

I got interviews at NOVA and UCONN. Any Candians hear from these schools or any others yet?

Be prepared for the Floridians at Nova to comment on the 'harsh' Canadian weather. Think of something interesting to say when the topic comes up, and especially when they ask you about the heat in Ft. Lauderdale.

Hmm this interests me, I'm gonna ask the dental students on my tour.

Great idea! Ask the faculty too if the introduction of simulation labs is evidence based. But try not to come off as a know-it-all.

Care to elaborate? This seems interesting. Forgive me for my ignorance.

There are very few residency spots in Canada. Many of them require work experience before you apply. While American residency spots like people who've worked, it is not necessary, and a lot of people manage to get in right out of dental school. There are a lot of american residency spots that won't look at you if you are from a Canadian Dental school, or a foreign dental school for that matter.
A Canadian who goes to American schools will have less debt because they only get themselves into so much debt. Banks will only give you $200k, and the canadian govt/province gives you a louse 10k/year in subsidized loans. You are often in a better place to specialize.
It is also my opinion that students at Canadian dental schools are smarter than those at American dental schools. Thus it is easier to be in the top, or near the top at an American dental school. This will ultimately help you specialize. A lot of students coming out of American dental schools will be in tremendous amounts of debt, and will not be willing to add to that debt by enrolling in specialty programs.
Also, do a search in these forums for posts by DrBadVibes. Oh, he may have made the posts on premed101 (google it).

congrats! do you mind sharing your stats? when were you notified?
waiting sucks...

3.47cGPA/3.34sci/4.0post-bacc but only based on 2 credits lol
AA21/TS21/PAT21/RC22/carving9 x__x
100 hrs shadowing, and a diverse array of ECs
still need to get another LOR in, i'm surprised BU offered me an invite without all my letters

i received the invite email aug18
good luck!

Hi guys, I am a Canadian applicant applying to American dental schools. I am a bit confused regarding something and I was hoping someone could clarify this:
I know on the ADDSAS application it says we need to send in our Canadian DAT scores to each school we apply to. However, the dental schools that got back to me regarding missing items only asked for either a missing supplementary application or fee, none of them mentioned the official DAT scores. Does this mean I don't need to send in my Canadian DAT scores or are they waiting for my American DAT scores, which I am planning to write at the end of September? Any input will be greatly appreciated :)!

Hi guys, I am a Canadian applicant applying to American dental schools. I am a bit confused regarding something and I was hoping someone could clarify this:
I know on the ADDSAS application it says we need to send in our Canadian DAT scores to each school we apply to. However, the dental schools that got back to me regarding missing items only asked for either a missing supplementary application or fee, none of them mentioned the official DAT scores. Does this mean I don't need to send in my Canadian DAT scores or are they waiting for my American DAT scores, which I am planning to write at the end of September? Any input will be greatly appreciated :)!

Hey, I believe most (if not all) schools that accept the Canadian DAT require an official score report, so it would be a good idea to request your transcript from CDA asap. But if you are planning on using your American DAT scores instead, then there is no point wasting money sending in your Canadian DAT scores. Hope that helps! :)

Hey, thanks so much for the reply :), I requested them right now, man I should have done this before, this will probably put my application on hold for a few weeks now (N). I do plan on using my American scores but I was thinking as long as they have something on file atleast they will review my application. Do they actually take more than two weeks? On CDA site that Canada Post takes 10-12 business days within Canada alone.

Hey, I believe most (if not all) schools that accept the Canadian DAT require an official score report, so it would be a good idea to request your transcript from CDA asap. But if you are planning on using your American DAT scores instead, then there is no point wasting money sending in your Canadian DAT scores. Hope that helps! :)

Hey, thanks so much for the reply :), I requested them right now, man I should have done this before, this will probably put my application on hold for a few weeks now (N). I do plan on using my American scores but I was thinking as long as they have something on file atleast they will review my application. Do they actually take more than two weeks? On CDA site that Canada Post takes 10-12 business days within Canada alone.

I'm not sure how long exactly it will take, because I requested my transcript in June, so delivery time was likely affected by the Canada Post strike. But according to CDA, transcripts are mailed out on a daily basis. Mailing time to the States usually take around 2 weeks. I'd contact schools in two weeks to ask them if they have received your transcript. Most of them are pretty good about getting back to you. :)

Can we make a list of the schools sending out interviews to Canadians?

Upenn
BU
Minnesota
Nova
Uconn

Is that it so far?

Columbia no longer accepts Canadians - not officially, but looking at the last two years, they haven't accepted a single Canadian and there were applicants who met or exceed their criteria.

3.47cGPA/3.34sci/4.0post-bacc but only based on 2 credits lol
AA21/TS21/PAT21/RC22/carving9 x__x
100 hrs shadowing, and a diverse array of ECs
still need to get another LOR in, i'm surprised BU offered me an invite without all my letters

i received the invite email aug18
good luck!

A friend of mine at BU said they went over his letters during the interview. So you still have plenty of time! and good luck!
mine is on Aug 14 ; )

Im a Canadian applicant as well. I still have to send in the supplemental app to BU. How long after you submitted the supplemental app did you receive an interview e-mail?

For those applicants from university of Toronto, how do you fullfill 2 semesters of inorganic/general chemistry with lab? Just CHM139H1 + CHM220H1? or CHM139H1 + CHM238Y? or CHM139H1 + BCH370H1 (insisting it's chemistry course...)?
I'm confused, please help me out!

Hey everyone, glad there's a thread made for Canadians :)

I'm thinking to apply to Detroit Mercy and that's the only school on my list. my GPA is not very grade, I stand at an A- at U of Windsor and I already have my Bachelor of Science degree.. I'm hoping I would have a good chance if i do well on the american DAT :idea:

by the way, what's a supplemental app??? is this a special thing for Canadians applying???