Thread for folks planning to attend Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Szkwicz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After spending a little time browsing through several pages of old threads, it appeared to me that several SDNers are thinking of, or planning on attending Wayne State in the fall.

I'm getting all set to go to Wayne at the start of August and thought this might be a way for those of us who are going there to get to know each other a little. Plus maybe we can keep each other posted on fun and important things...such as when financial aid award information, and registration materials are coming out.

So, if you're going to Wayne...drop a line and say hi! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Have you found a place to live? I'm going to be living in Farmington Hills, so I'll have quite a drive every day. Did you get the invitation to the Tiger game?

I have found a place to live...I got a studio at Lafayette Towers downtonwn...it's a nice place, and it seems that a large number of medical students live there. Plus the rent is pretty cheap. I wanted to be really close.

I heard nothing about a Tiger's game...when is it? Is it something for all of the incoming first-years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi-

I just got my acceptance to Wayne State yesterday. :) However, I'm hoping to be taken off the waiting list at U of Vermont because it's much closer to home, but I haven't been accepted at UVM yet so as of now I'm going to Wayne State...

It doesn't seem like many people here are talking about/going to Wayne State, am I wrong? I have no idea where I will live yet... I haven't had much time to think about it and the idea is kind of overwhelming because I don't really know much about detroit. So if you guys have any thoughts/advice on where to live, and on going to WSU, I'd appreciate it!! :)

Szk, I got an invitation from some student group inviting me to a Tiger game which would also serve as a get-to-know-you kind of event. I'm not going to be able to go, so unfortunately, I didn't save the invitation, but if you're interested, the student life office might have some information.

Jedi--congratulations on your acceptance. For your sake, I hope you end up getting into Vermont, but it's nice to have an acceptance either way. I'm not really familiar with the Detroit area all that much. Most of my years have been spent in the Saginaw area and in Ann Arbor.

I've decided on Farmington Hills, even though it's 15 miles away because it's convenient for my husband's job, and we have school age kids. I wasn't eager to put them in the Detroit school system. If I didn't have kids, I probably would consider one of the downtown highrises. Some of them are really nice and conveniently located.

Hey Laura, thanks for the info. :)

Downtown high rises sounds like a good idea for me... I'd like to be close to the school but still in a nice (safe) place where there's also stuff going on...

Do any of you know if there is a website or email list where WSU students are advertising for roommates, etc? It's so weird to suddenly find out that you're moving to a new city and starting school all in one month!! Overwhelming... but I'm trying to deal. :wink:

Jedi--
Give this website a try. There's a summer contacts section of people who may be able to give you advice concerning housing.

<a href="http://www.med.wayne.edu/senate/2005.html" target="_blank">wayne state class of 2006 info.</a>

I just found an information sheet I was sent a couple of weeks ago about the white coat ceremony and orientation, etc. and there is a number on it for assistance in housing and roommates. It is (313) 577-1023

Originally posted by Szkwicz
So, if you're going to Wayne...drop a line and say hi! :D

I'm going to Wayne State, so... Hi! Living in Royal Oak, btw.

Thanks for the info Laura :) I'm going to check out that site right now, and call the number tomorrow. I haven't been able to get on this site all week... I'm glad I finally got on!

Orientation is the 12th, right? When are you all moving to Detroit?

Jedi--

Orientation starts August 5 and classes start the 12th.
Family day is the 10th.

My family is moving from East Lansing to Farmington Hills on August 1.

Oh, the 5th, that's right. I can't believe there's a whole week of orientation, that's kind of nice though...

Just wondering...
Have any of y'all received your financial aid award notification yet? I recently received registration information and the like, but even though they've told me that finaid info is on its way, this is getting extremely late.
Anyone else beginning to wonder how the bills will be paid?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything about financial aid, but I'm sure I applied much later than you...

I read something from the financial aid office that said we can feel free to call them and they'll discuss with us what we might expect to receive. So... you can try calling them and see what they say...

Hey, has anyone received any registration materials yet. Also, Laura you mentioned a letter about a white coat ceremoney and orientation could you tell me the details of this letter. I dont think I have recieved it or perhaps I have but am thinking of a different letter.

Thanks

And hope to meet you all in 2 weeks.

I got a newsletter style page about a month ago on blue paper with a lot of topics on it. It just gave the dates for the welcoming ceremony (which is the white coat ceremony), beginning of classes, how to change your address, check on financial aid, requirement for physical, phone numbers for student organizations, and links to the student website. Then last week, I received a whole packet of material with forms to fill out: physical exam, vaccinations, parking permit, student ID, data sheet for registration, and a letter explaining when registration is according to your last name. There was also an invitation to a picnic on belle isle, and a RSVP slip for the welcome ceremony. If you want details on any of this, or you have a fax machine, let me know, I'll send it to you.

I pm you Laura.

p.s Thanks

What exactly is the White Coat ceremony? I've heard about it but have never known exactly what it is...

I called Dawn Street at the Admissions Office to see if it was something my family would enjoy attending, and she said yes. She said there would be a welcoming ceremony, a tour of the school and a lunch.
When I was looking at the website a couple of weeks ago, I saw a newsletter which had a picture of last year's welcoming ceremony. It looked like all the students were gathered in an auditorium, having just received their white coats. I doubt that there's anything much to the ceremony, but at some schools, the students also take an oath (similar to the modern day version of the Hippocratic Oath).

Interesting... so that's when everyone actually receives their white coats, makes sense. ;) I wonder what the rest of orientation will be like... they didn't send a schedule or anything, did they? All I know is that it starts the 5th and goes through the week. I wonder if any of the current Wayne State students could tell us more details... it's surprising that orientation lasts so long, but I'm glad since we can kinda ease into it.

Have you guys recieved orientation materials, I have recieved registration materials but nothing about orientation activities. Is there going to be any sort of orientation stuff or just plain registration.

Thanks

i did not recieve orientation info either. i called the student affairs office and the lady said they sent a 1 page letter out w/ the details of orientation. I told her I never got it. Sounds like a few people didnt recieve it.

She said the orientation schedule is as follows:
Monday -> 1-5 pm.
Tuesday - Friday -> 8:30 - 4 am I think.

Also, breakfast and lunch are served for free on tuesday thru friday.

She also said orientation materials will be given when you walk in the door. Orientation is in Jaffar Hall.

+pissed+

Originally posted by joeswoosh
i did not recieve orientation info either. i called the student affairs office and the lady said they sent a 1 page letter out w/ the details of orientation. I told her I never got it. Sounds like a few people didnt recieve it.

She said the orientation schedule is as follows:
Monday -> 1-5 pm.
Tuesday - Friday -> 8:30 - 4 am I think.

Also, breakfast and lunch are served for free on tuesday thru friday.

She also said orientation materials will be given when you walk in the door. Orientation is in Jaffar Hall.

+pissed+

I also didn't receive an orientation letter. Does anyone know for sure when and where we are supposed to report to Monday??