Threat of automatic pill dispenser???

Started by pakcw
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pakcw

Keton
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While I was working at Rite Aid, the employer placed this giant big automatic dispenser machine. Pham tech type -> machine automatically pull the drug and count them. All pharmacist did was replacing the medication into the bottle. That lighten the work-load of pharmacist a lot.
While 60% of pharmacists work in community pharmacy, any conern that employer will cut the no. of pharmacist.
Now a day better and better machine is coming up. LOOK ALL THIS INCREDIBLE TECHNOLOGY!

Any common for this?
 
What if the machine decides to rise up against its human oppressors and starts giving everyone the wrong drugs ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bananaface said:
I wonder if anyone realizes that these things count 1 Rx at a time and each pill takes 1 Mississippi.

They basically keep you from getting cranky about having to count to 350.

I recently visited a pharmacy where they had this huge machined about 8ft tall and 15ft wide. It spat out all the pills for each rx entered in the computer in a matter of seconds. It was quite impressive.
 
Jaquabeem said:
I recently visited a pharmacy where they had this huge machined about 8ft tall and 15ft wide. It spat out all the pills for each rx entered in the computer in a matter of seconds. It was quite impressive.
Eh, then I think the techs should worry more than the pharmacists. The machine just counts, it doesn't verify or counsel or smooth out customer service issues.
 
Machines still make errors so of course they still need to be monitered. Wouldn't want a technical error and have it dispense the wrong drug by accident and risk a patients life.
 
soso809 said:
Machines still make errors so of course they still need to be monitered. Wouldn't want a technical error and have it dispense the wrong drug by accident and risk a patients life.
Yup, and techs (and anyone else) can still fill a slot/cell with the wrong med.
 
Jaquabeem said:
I recently visited a pharmacy where they had this huge machined about 8ft tall and 15ft wide. It spat out all the pills for each rx entered in the computer in a matter of seconds. It was quite impressive.
We had the "Pharm Assist" at one site I worked at. It was lame.

Machines are tools, not replacement workers. Even if things could be counted in no time, that would not impact pharmacist job security.
 
we just got one in our pharmacy about 6 months ago and we hate it. it breaks tablets & sometimes crushes them & once it dispensed ambien instead of lexapro. we're constantly having to watch it to see what its going to dispense next & we always are having to baby it (adding labels, adding vials, adding drugs etc) recently it malfunctioned overnight and we had to spend 2 hours on the phone trying to fix it in the morning when we were down a tech. plus the fact that i can count 5 scripts in the time it does 1.
 
Have you ever seen the really big mail order pharmacies & their machines? They are huge & there are many, many, many of them.

Walgreens, Kaiser, VA (hey - Kwizard!!!) all use them. They work great in these settings. They process large volumes of medications & times is not an issue since the rx has to be processed for billing & mailing.

Its amazing for these large operations. But...no threat to me or those I work with. I actually don't like working with them....but I do see their place.
 
The CVS that I worked at had a ScriptPro. While it was annoying to babysit and could jam sometimes, it really was a lifesaver - we did ~2400 scripts/week, and having the machine count out all the hydrocodone/amoxiciilin/etc. saved us a lot of time. We would have had to have another tech on hand during the day without it.

So maybe these machines are a threat to techs, but I can only see them helping retail in the long run. The pharmacist still has to verify the script and make sure that the machine did its job correctly.