???three years undergrad left, will I need an SMP???

W

WWU_Viking

I started two years of undergrad at a CC and ended with a 2.9 GPA-had bad study habbits, but am ready to get all A's at the university to which I transfer, coupled with shadowing, pharmacy exp, and volunteering at an adult day care clinic I hope I can get into med school eventually. I'm also going to take excess credits in the summer to pick up a minor that I like and just have more grades on my transcript.

I'm applying my last year of undergrad and have considerded doing an SMP during the year long gap. I have also considered not doing the SMP and puting my Biology/Anthropology BS to work somehow during this year long gap.

I haven't calculated "theorectically" what my GPA will be by the time I apply. Do you think I'll need an SMP during gap year if I get all 3.7-4.0 grades from now one (I'm taking ochem again at the university, got B- grades but want to take it again at a 4 year). I will be on a quarter system. If I take summer quarter, a total of 11 quarters will be added to my transcript for AMCAS to see (and love, hopefully).

I'm working this summer to save money and have also obtained an 8hr/week campus job as well.

I have an old edition of EK1001 for gen chem and am also starting to study REALLY early. I want to get a really high score.

I'm just not sure to even apply to the SMP or not during my last year of undergrad. If I don't get accepted the first time apply, I just think that the SMP will be the best way help out the second time...AND...doing the SMP during the gap year proceeding undergrad will prevent another year long gap.

Can a person ever be rejected from an SMP program because maybe that adcom thought their stats were "okay, and SMP not needed."
Any thoughts?????

Dr 14220

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2005
Status
Other Health Professions Student
theres no way you're serious

Singing Devil

Displaced Southerner
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Status
See, this is how pre-meds get a bad name.

OP
W

WWU_Viking

Well I didn't know people would think that. I was just concerned about my situation.

daeojkim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Seriously, I would not worry much.

The good thing is that you have decided to turn around and be serious about studying. Do not think about SMP or even the possibility.

If you do very well the next two years and explain in your application that you have become serious and matured after first year, it will look positive.

For now, just concentrate on what's in front of you. Looking back what you did will only make you worry more and affect tasks that you need to do now.

Good luck!

OP
W

WWU_Viking

daeojkim said:
Seriously, I would not worry much.

The good thing is that you have decided to turn around and be serious about studying. Do not think about SMP or even the possibility.

If you do very well the next two years and explain in your application that you have become serious and matured after first year, it will look positive.

For now, just concentrate on what's in front of you. Looking back what you did will only make you worry more and affect tasks that you need to do now.

Good luck!
I actually have three more academic years left, not two-till I apply.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
we talked a couple times before in PMs. You seem to be characteristically nervous, like many premeds are. Just take it easy, take a deep breath and try to do as well as you possibly can in the coming years. you should not even consider an SMP until your last year as as UG.