Time article on medical billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh boy he's stirring the pot!

Thanks for the article.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it so interesting that there is no uniform price tag on healthcare. I mean different health networks are no where close to each other. Also their is no way insurance companies are paying out the big bucks on those treatments. They haggle and refuse to pay for "experimental" treatments all the time. It also seemed like he was saying Medicare pays out X amount only then later implied that medicare is paying the full amount on these cancer bills, which isn't true. I just don't know about this whole issue both sides only present the extreme cases. Now I think it is crap that a hospital wants money upfront for treatment as it would be much more compassionate to treat first then bill and negotiate the prices and payments later. I am surprised hospital haven't connected with banks to offer financing for treatments. " 90 days same as cash." No credit, Bad credit you're approved at University Hospital."

If banks started financing treatments, we'd be in a bigger financial crisis. Its not as if the person will be able to pay back the amount as he/she can't do so already.

I feel like this article is spot on, I mean I see it everyday - doctors in the ER covering their asses by doing unnecessary CT scans. And its something that perhaps won't change as long as we have people suing each other.

If banks started financing treatments, we'd be in a bigger financial crisis. Its not as if the person will be able to pay back the amount as he/she can't do so already.

I feel like this article is spot on, I mean I see it everyday - doctors in the ER covering their asses by doing unnecessary CT scans. And its something that perhaps won't change as long as we have people suing each other.

They aren't doing it just to cover their asses. At least in the peds ER the parents are demanding it. My mom (ER doc) was telling me how she finds herself now saying something along the lines of, what can i do to make you satisfied with this experience? Press Ganey scores rule all

Don't be so quick to jump on docs for covering their asses, one day you are going to be in that position and you are going to have to worry about those 1% of patients that needed that scan. I mean think about it a scan for somebody could save their life while for most they find nothing. You make it seem like Docs fear lawyers more then they fear missing a diagnosis.

It is also a big assumption that a person can't pay the bill,( or even worse if you are implying that most people are too lazy to even try). We already have systems in place for extended bill pay it just commonly requires court settlements and bankruptcy. What if the bill was formatted based on income including negotiated discounts just like the court settlements or how insurance companies haggle? So a person that makes 20K per year could have a bill reduced to a payable amount without having to go to count and bankruptcy. Yes it may take this person 10 or 20 years to payoff the full amount in some cases but the point is it gets paid and is open to renegotiation upon refinancing of any kind. Its like insurance because again the financing company will put out an offer of X amount and the hospital will reduce the bill to fit that amount. I believe most people will make their best effort to pay these bills if they can fit it in the budget.
Just a thought.

I'm a writer for TIME and I need to capitalize on the class warfare already present.

Look at me, I'm bitching about hospital billing (and exec compensation) while negating to mention the fact that hospitals don't expect nearly the amount they bill...that's why they bill that way!

Has the guy ever shopped for a car? You want 30k for that car? I'll give you 20k. Obviously your offer isn't accepted...it's a starting point for negotiations.

Want to control healthcare costs? Stop smoking, start exercising. end of story