"New bipartisan bill in Congress would require residency programs to equitably assess MD and DO candidates"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sn00pygrrl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They present a solid argument from a minority perspective, citing data that 36% of PDs never interview DO candidates, yet these programs all receive federal funding. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't hold your breath. Can't see how it would be enforceable
When you interview zero DOs, have all DOs at the bottom of your rank list and match nobody with a DO, it'll force them to change

Reactions: 2 users
As with any bill congress puts forth (if it even passes), there will be loopholes.

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't this just shift the tables on who it is harder to match for and make it tougher for MDs?

Weaker applicants (seems to be the consensus generally on here-- probably not due to ability as much as lack of resources) competing for half the spots, and an easier exam (Also having seen on here) being seen as equivalent?

Wouldn't this just shift the tables on who it is harder to match for and make it tougher for MDs?

Weaker applicants (seems to be the consensus generally on here-- probably not due to ability as much as lack of resources) competing for half the spots, and an easier exam (Also having seen on here) being seen as equivalent?
How are they weaker applicants if they did as well as an MD student in medical?

How are they weaker applicants if they did as well as an MD student in medical?
I guess I am confused at what this bill is suggesting. Is it suggesting that "DO and MD applicants will be looked at from an equal standpoint" or "xyz schools must accept _____ percentage of DO students and _____ percentage of MD students". After looking into the bill it sounded like the latter.

The FAIR Act requires federally funded GME programs to:

• Report annually the number of applicants for residency from allopathic and osteopathic medical schools and how many such applicants were accepted from each respective type of school and;
  • Affirm annually that they accept applicants from osteopathic and allopathic medical schools, and that if an examination score is required for acceptance, both the COMLEX and USMLE licensing exams will be equally accepted.

If congress agrees that residencies should be 25/75 DO/MD students (as that is the current distribution of students), then you have MD students with higher Step scores and more research (according to NRMP) competing solely against one another for spots, and vise versa for DO students.

I guess I am confused at what this bill is suggesting. Is it suggesting that "DO and MD applicants will be looked at from an equal standpoint" or "xyz schools must accept _____ percentage of DO students and _____ percentage of MD students". After looking into the bill it sounded like the latter.

The FAIR Act requires federally funded GME programs to:

• Report annually the number of applicants for residency from allopathic and osteopathic medical schools and how many such applicants were accepted from each respective type of school and;
  • Affirm annually that they accept applicants from osteopathic and allopathic medical schools, and that if an examination score is required for acceptance, both the COMLEX and USMLE licensing exams will be equally accepted.

If congress agrees that residencies should be 25/75 DO/MD students (as that is the current distribution of students), then you have MD students with higher Step scores and more research (according to NRMP) competing solely against one another for spots, and vise versa for DO students.
You're adding in demands and information that aren't in the bill. There's no imaginary quota system here, just the requirement to treat applicants fairly, whatever that means. All I'm seeing is that it residencies treat applicants fairly whether they are do or md.

A residency can easily just say "yeah we interviewed DOs but we found better candidates over here in the MD pool"

Last edited:
This is just another useless bandaid to stick onto the massive elephant in the room: that there’s zero practical value in having two separate medical degrees in the US, and that the AOA is an obstacle to equity among medical professionals.

Reactions: 11 users
I kind of feel like this is a misappropriation of the term "equitable." I also think there is a logical fallacy behind simultaneously trying to say that applicants should be considered the same, while at the same time extolling how OMT is super important and the need to continue making a separate licensing exam (because $$$).

However, if the end result is that strong students at DO schools get a more fair review of their application, that is probably a net good. I'm sure a fair number will get squeezed at the ranking stage because of the general prestige factor of training which will never be eliminated entirely, but there may also be some students who get ranked to match based off of a stellar interview who otherwise never would have been considered. So on the whole, aside from creating more busy work for programs, this is probably a good thing.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MDs aren't even equitably assessed against one another at many more competitive programs. Shinier credentials are given a rather hefty amount of weight if you're from a highly ranked powerhouse applying to a competitive field or a top program in IM. The idea that an act of the government can make things less discriminatory between those with different degrees when equity doesn't even exist between those with the same degree is just foolish. If they were to somehow require DOs to be taken on some sort of quota basis it would likely result in said quota physicians being put through the ringer by PDs resentful they were forced to accept them, making them "prove" themselves to be deserving of a spot the PD doesn't believe they deserve. I've known a couple of PDs that took residents under pressure for various reasons in the past and it has never ended well for the residents or programs in question.

Honestly the best way for stigma to end is to either merge the two pathways or let it fade with time rather than government intervention. Many places that would never have touched a DO for residency in the past have become far more accepting of them as faculty over time. As DOs become colleagues in a post-GME merger world at these institutions it will likely reach the point that it almost seems ridiculous to filter individuals on degree alone. However, the names of the schools attached to those degrees will likely still have quite a bit of weight so DOs will probably end up in the tier of low-ranked MD schools in that regard.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
When you interview zero DOs, have all DOs at the bottom of your rank list and match nobody with a DO, it'll force them to change
How can you objectively say they were ranked incorrectly? As an example, when you're a research-heavy program and you've got a pile of applicants who have worked with world-leading researchers at the top of your list and a bunch of people from DO schools with far less robust research credentials at the bottom, how could that be viewed as objectively improper given the mission of a research-driven program?

Ridiculous.

So what now Mass General Hospital’s medicine residency will consist of only UCSF/Hopkins/HMS grads plus grads from the latest expansion campus at a school where the name doesn’t even match the location?

All this with a pass/fail step 1 and (probably) step 2

Just lol

Ridiculous.

So what now Mass General Hospital’s medicine residency will consist of only UCSF/Hopkins/HMS grads plus grads from the latest expansion campus at a school where the name doesn’t even match the location?

All this with a pass/fail step 1 and (probably) step 2

Just lol

It's not asking for quotas, and any kind of quota system would probably be shut down.

A bill to equitably evaluate Amerian/US citizen IMG who are descriminated against eventhough they have an MD degree is up next. LOL

• Haha
You know the rotation sites are not the same. And they aren't competing with MDs for grades. Are you a do?
I agree that not all rotation sites are made the same. But, some do you schools are definitely better than others., also dear students are by Nature forced to seek out better rotation sites in their fourth years, so when they do their additions, and do it wisely they get a upper hand over say people who are at the brand new schools

PhD with 20+ years of teaching experience and 12+ in listening to my wise sdn clinician colleagues.

As I have said previously, the workings of this sort of Bill are impractical

I agree that not all rotation sites are made the same. But, some do you schools are definitely better than others., also dear students are by Nature forced to seek out better rotation sites in their fourth years, so when they do their additions, and do it wisely they get a upper hand over say people who are at the brand new schools

PhD with 20+ years of teaching experience and 12+ in listening to my wise sdn clinician colleagues.

As I have said previously, the workings of this sort of Bill are impractical
Yes do students have to seek them out. I get requests all the time at my private practice. But MD students don't have to waste time on that and have many hospital rotations with supervision from physicians who have time to supervise appropriately.

Do students have to take what they can cobble together.

Yes do students have to seek them out. I get requests all the time at my private practice. But MD students don't have to waste time on that and have many hospital rotations with supervision from physicians who have time to supervise appropriately.

Do students have to take what they can cobble together.
How do they standardize grading if students find there own rotations?

How can you objectively say they were ranked incorrectly? As an example, when you're a research-heavy program and you've got a pile of applicants who have worked with world-leading researchers at the top of your list and a bunch of people from DO schools with far less robust research credentials at the bottom, how could that be viewed as objectively improper given the mission of a research-driven program?
Sometimes, but every time? You're just assuming it's impossible that any DO can have robust research credentials, but then we could extend the logic to ranking MD applicants. You'd always have to rank everyone based on their stats. Besides, most people (MD or DO) don't really have any significant research

Sometimes, but every time? You're just assuming it's impossible that any DO can have robust research credentials, but then we could extend the logic to ranking MD applicants. You'd always have to rank everyone based on their stats. Besides, most people (MD or DO) don't really have any significant research
It is obvious that the bias has something to do with the quality of the training. It has been discussed on here ad naseam that only handfull of DO schools will meet LCME standards. We all know what a resource-rich, mentoring-rich, guidance-rich, etc., etc., etc. school environment can do for its students. All the DOs need to force the AOA to pressure COCA to bring the schools up to LCME standards. Stop opening more new DO schools (especially for profit schools) in an empty field in the midle to nowhere with ****ty training rotations.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
It is obvious that the bias has something to do with the quality of the training. It has been discussed on here ad naseam that only handfull of DO schools will meet LCME standards. We all know what a resource-rich, mentoring-rich, guidance-rich, etc., etc., etc. school environment can do for its students. All the DOs need to force the AOA to pressure COCA to bring the schools up to LCME standards. Stop opening more new DO schools (especially for profit schools) in an empty field in the midle to nowhere with ****ty training rotations.
This makes too much sense, therefore they won't do it. :lol:

They present a solid argument from a minority perspective, citing data that 36% of PDs never interview DO candidates, yet these programs all receive federal funding. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

It’s not like DOs are a protected class. Why should PDs be forced to interview/consider them? It’s like saying programs should be required to consider low tier MD graduates as strongly as they consider HMS graduates. The only way to do this would be to blind school name but then it would be impossible to sift through the volume of applications

LCME standards has heavy influence on research being conducted at the institution. While there are some DO schools with bad rotations, to label it a majority would be ludicrous. You keep perpetuating old stereotypes

If programs will interview DO's just to comply with this law but not actually seriously consider them, I rather this not be a thing and I save some money on applications.

Some programs take DOs for auditions but refuse to interview/rank them, that **** drives me mad and is name and shame worthy.

It’s not like DOs are a protected class. Why should PDs be forced to interview/consider them? It’s like saying programs should be required to consider low tier MD graduates as strongly as they consider HMS graduates. The only way to do this would be to blind school name but then it would be impossible to sift through the volume of applications
This could end up being like the Rooney Rule. Who knows? DOs are certainly a minority. Over 1 million MDs and about 150,000 DOs. Accept federal funding accept the govt rules. I just thought it was an interesting approach. DO discrimination is a thing. One out of 3 PDs dont interview DOs. 30% of the programs arent HMS tier programs. Personally, I see it as a gesture and not going anywhere.

Why not put DO and MD Medical Schools and residency programs under the same accreditation boards? That would eliminate all of the issues here.
If that is not wanted then DO’s and MD’s can only apply to DO or MD residencies, respectfully. Those that feel OMT is a critical component of health care can continue this into residency and apply these techniques in their specialty as i am sure few allopathic residencies dedicate much time to OMT.

• Love
Why not put DO and MD Medical Schools and residency programs under the same accreditation boards? That would eliminate all of the issues here.
If that is not wanted then DO’s and MD’s can only apply to DO or MD residencies, respectfully. Those that feel OMT is a critical component of health care can continue this into residency and apply these techniques in their specialty as i am sure few allopathic residencies dedicate much time to OMT.
Becau$e 💸 you 💸 di$regard 💸 the 💸 o$teopathic 💸 philo$ophie$ 💸 if 💸 you 💸 do 💸 that 💸

• Haha
I thought it was interesting in an interview, one of the reps sponsoring the the bill mentioned he wanted to do this to increase the number of primary care docs available in rural areas and DOs will fill this void. Which indicates to me a misunderstanding of the process because it seems like most of our first reactions was how prestigious institutes and specialties don’t take many DOs, but he seemed to believe that DOs are not getting residencies at primary care facilities.

Reactions: 4 users
It always confuses me. You chose DO education but still want MD residencies? Why not stay in your prescribed tract?

It always confuses me. You chose DO education but still want MD residencies? Why not stay in your prescribed tract?
There is no such thing as MD residencies, which was mainly pushed by MDs. All residencies are owned by both MD and DO. Otherwise I'd gladly stay in my prescribed tract

There is no such thing as MD residencies, which was mainly pushed by MDs. All residencies are owned by both MD and DO. Otherwise I'd gladly stay in my prescribed tract
is there an ownership of residency programs? If there is, I would like to hear more. ACGME sets the standards for training that res programs have to meet in order to be an accredited ACGME residency program. The ACGME residency programs (majority funding from publics sources/minority from private sources) are run by hospitals. The hospital take on the ownership role for the program. if the hospital is a teaching hospital for, or affiliated with, a med school, there is a nexus interms of who owns/operates the program.

is there an ownership of residency programs? If there is, I would like to hear more. ACGME sets the standards for training that res programs have to meet in order to be an accredited ACGME residency program. The ACGME residency programs (majority funding from publics sources/minority from private sources) are run by hospitals. The hospital take on the ownership role for the program. if the hospital is a teaching hospital for, or affiliated with, a med school, there is a nexus interms of who owns/operates the program.
Ownership as in the board overseeing ACGME residency programs by compromise of MDs and DOs includes both of them

Great idea. MD programs discriminate against so called over represented groups. So many DO's have better scores and experience than MD's.

• Haha
Ownership as in the board overseeing ACGME residency programs by compromise of MDs and DOs includes both of them
How does this board own the residency programs? I thought they set and govern training standards with an overwhelming majority of MD votes.

How does this board own the residency programs? I thought they set and govern training standards with an overwhelming majority of MD votes.
DOs hold 30% of the board votes. Also once you’re in residency you will see just how much ACGME controls residencies. There is nothing a program fears more than a site visit

30% will yield the same result as 0% when anything is put to a vote. Yes ACGME is powerful, but how programs are to assess candidates for residency interview and ranking are outside of the ACGME swim lane, unless we are talking about URM diversity.

30% will yield the same result as 0% when anything is put to a vote. Yes ACGME is powerful, but how programs are to assess candidates for residency interview and ranking are outside of the ACGME swim lane, unless we are talking about URM diversity.
I’m not commenting on the overall topic of the thread. Honestly I think programs should be free to recruit whatever candidates they want.

I’m just addressing your comment on how ACGME doesn’t own the programs. Trust me, they do. They can swim in whichever lane they decide to swim in.

Results as 0%? Only when you think in a single dimension. As soon as the in-group that's 70% starts to fracture on certain issues, they need to gather votes from the 30%. If they consistently **** of the 30%, they can't hope their own special projects to be taken seriously

Does opening more DO schools aka more DO docs, get them more seats at the voting table eventually? I wonder.

I will say, I do think the DO bias is unnecessary and frankly dumb. But everyone who applied DO knows what they are getting themselves into.

I applied broadly to both knowing damn well the hurdles I would have to jump over as a DO if that was where I was headed.

If you don't want the hurdles, Don't apply, it's simple.

I will say, I do think the DO bias is unnecessary and frankly dumb. But everyone who applied DO knows what they are getting themselves into.

I applied broadly to both knowing damn well the hurdles I would have to jump over as a DO if that was where I was headed.

If you don't want the hurdles, Don't apply, it's simple.
Many who complain about DO bias weren't competitive to be accepted at MD schools. Yet, as @Goro says, they think they will hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer and match a competitive residency. They think they will excel in med school when they didn't in undergrad. This can happen occasionally, but is far from frequent. To get accepted at a competitive residency it requires a competitive app for that specialty. Boards, class rank, LORs,research, etc. DOs are sadly not interviewed 36% of the time. With more new MD and DO grads, programs will be increasingly more competitive. When applying, understand the game as it changes frequently. Apply to specialties and programs where your stats are competitive and have a Plan B. Its not all gloom and doom, it just keeps getting harder.

Many who complain about DO bias weren't competitive to be accepted at MD schools. Yet, as @Goro says, they think they will hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer and match a competitive residency. They think they will excel in med school when they didn't in undergrad. This can happen occasionally, but is far from frequent. To get accepted at a competitive residency it requires a competitive app for that specialty. Boards, class rank, LORs,research, etc. DOs are sadly not interviewed 36% of the time. With more new MD and DO grads, programs will be increasingly more competitive. When applying, understand the game as it changes frequently. Apply to specialties and programs where your stats are competitive and have a Plan B. Its not all gloom and doom, it just keeps getting harder.
It's not even about hitting it out of the ballpark. Many times people get looked over just because of the degree all things else being equal. Sometimes someone with a degree from a high pedigree school will be given more leeway. The entire point of equity is to be treated the same when being the same

Just looking at Gas this year. USMD with 250s only need to apply 40 programs give or take. USDO with same scores are applying too 70-80+.

Also the 40+ USMD are applying to have some UCSF tier programs that won’t even look at DOs with the same scores.

I’m sure USMD extracurricular are more impressive that USDO, im assuming primarily research which is likely a huge deal for UCSF tier programs but… I’m sure if a DO had MD level research and scores, they still won’t even be considered.

J)cgrg
On the bright side, ever since the merger, we've seen DOs match into uber-specialties that would have been unimaginable pre-merger. The glass door keeps getting kicked in more. And according tot he PD survey, more are willing to interview and rank DOs each year.

Yes, there will always be residencies that refuse to consider DOs. Although I note that the infamously elitist NYU Internal Med program has a DO, and a Chief Resident, yet!

Scroll down to Dr Kassapidis