Time for a controversial subject-LONG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRae

DrRae
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this subject came to mind after a fellow "animal rescuer" chewed me out for supporting breeders and the exotic animal industry. The posts are below. What are your views?
1 (Her post) HOW CAN PEOPLE KEEP ON BREEDING ANIMALS DOMESTIC OR EXOTIC WHEN THERE ARE SOOO MANY UNWANTED AND ABUSED ANIMALS IN THIS COUNTRY THAT NEED GOOD LOVING HOMES??? MOST OF THESE PEOPLE DO NOT GIVE A RATS A** WHO BUYS THESE POOR CREATURES. WILL THEY BE EATEN? WILL THEY BE LOVED? WILL THEY HAVE PROPER FOOD AND SHELTER? WILL THEY BE "PUT DOWN" IF THEY DON'T BEHAVE LIKE HUMANS?? WILL THEY BE BEATEN AND TORTURED IF THEY ANGER THE A**HOLE THAT OWNS THEM?? WILL THEY BE TRADED OFF FOR ANOTHER ANIMAL WHEN THE IDIOT WHO BOUGHT THEM IS TIRED OF THEIR NEW TOY??? WHO KNOWS WHAT KIND OF LIFE MOST OF THESE HELPLESS CREATURES WILL HAVE TO "EXIST" IN????? SOME PEOPLE WILL TREAT THEM GOOD AND LOVE THEM, BUT WILL TRADE THEM OFF OR SELL THEM TO "A GOOD HOME ONLY" PLEASE PEOPLE!! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING! IF YOU WERE LOOKING FOR A NANNY FOR YOUR CHILD MOST OF YOU WOULD VERY CAREFULLY SCREEN THE PERSON AND BE AS NOSEY AS POSSIBLE ABOUT WHO THEY ARE AND HOW THEY TREAT KIDS ...RIGHT!! DID YOU EVER THINK THAT SOME OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE "HAPPY TO GIVE YOUR NO LONGER WANTED ANIMAL A 4-EVER HOME" ARE REALLY ANIMAL BROKERS WHO WILL SELL OR TRADE YOUR PET TO ANYONE WHO HAS ENOUGH MONEY! AND THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT LOVE TO EAT ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF EXOTICS! I'M NOT SAYING NOT TO FIND A HOME FOR YOUR "UNWANTED" ANIMAL, BUT YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAUTIOUS ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GIVE THEM FOR FREE OR CHEAP. AND JUST BECAUSE A CHILD LIVES IN THAT HOME DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A GOOD HOME. UNSUPERVISED KIDS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MANY CASES OF ANIMAL INJURIES (FROM VERY SMALL KIDS TO TEENS) WHERE ARE YOUR HEARTS PEOPLE?? OR DO YOU EVEN HAVE ONE! THIS SITE IS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR UNWANTED AND RESCUED ANIMALS, NOT BREEDERS SELLING ANIMALS AND IT'S FULL OF THEM. HOW ABOUT TAKING YOUR FAMILY TO THE ZOO OR WILDLIFE PARK INSTEAD OF GOING OUT AND PURCHASING AN EXOTIC PET? YOU WILL NOT ONLY HAVE A GREAT TIME BUT YOU WILL BE SPENDING QUALITY TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY AND THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT! ME AND MY HUSBAND BUY AN ANNUAL PASS TO THE LOCAL ZOO HERE EVERY YEAR. WE ALWAYS HAVE AN AWESOME TIME AND STAY FOR HOURS. WE VISIT EXOTIC ANIMAL RESCUES AND WILDLIFE PARKS ETC.. WE HAVE SO MUCH FUN EVERYTIME. AND THAT'S THE KIND OF STUFF YOU NEED TO HELP YOU BOND WITH EACH OTHER DEEPER, AND BE HAPPIER PEOPLE! ALSO YOU WILL BE HELPING TO SHUT DOWN THE EXOTIC ANIMAL BREEDERS/BROKERS!! THIS IS AN INDUSTRY THAT MUST BE STOPPED!! THIS WOULD ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR SO MANY FOSTER HOMES AND RESCUES. MOST OF THESE PLACES ARE ALREADY FULL AND HAVE TO TURN ANIMALS AWAY EVEN THOUGH THEY WANT TO BE ABLE TO HELP THEM TOO. IT IS HEART BREAKING FOR THEM AND ALL OF US WHO REALLY CARE ABOUT THE ANIMALS. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF PURCHASING AN EXOTIC ANIMAL OF ANY KIND, I PLEAD WITH YOU TO PLEASE RECONSIDER! OH AND ON A DIFFERENT NOTE. YOU CANNOT CALL YOURSELF AN ANIMAL LOVER IF YOU AT ANY TIME GO OUT AND FOR YOUR OWN PLEASURE HUNT AND KILL ANY KIND OF ANIMAL! ANYONE WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO GO TO THE STORE AND BUY FOOD AND STILL HUNTS AND KILLS ANIMALS IS A COLD BLOODED MURDERER AND NOTHING LESS!!! OH IT'S A SPORT RIGHT? BULLS**T!!! IF YOU HANG OUT WITH SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS OR MARRY SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS YOUR JUST AS GUILTY AND YOU CANNOT CALL YOURSELF AN ANIMAL LOVER. AS YOU CAN SEE I AM VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT PROTECTING ALL ANIMALS. FROM THE TIME I WAS BORN I HAD TO WITNESS MANY KINDS OF ANIMALS BE MURDERED FOR NO REASON. IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO KILLS OR ABUSES ANIMALS IT IS YOUR DUTY AS A HUMANE TO TURN THEM IN!! AND NO I AM NOT CRAZY AND I AM NOT A VEGETARIAN. I AM A WOMAN WHO LOVES ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL!
2 (My post)I too see the destruction that breeding can cause. I personally do not breed. I work with many rescues, helping in anyway I can. But while we appreciate your concern for the animals, the fact that a person breeds does not mean that they do not care about the ones that are homeless. Many good breeders also work with rescues, fostering or transporting to new homes. The altpet.net site is not only for unwanted animals, but also for breeders. Also one of the advantages with exotics is that for most of them you must have a USDA or state license to own them, and the breeders on the site will not sell to someone without it. I do not believe you are crazy, and I do believe you are an animal lover. However, remember you will win more flies with honey than vinegar, and rather than screaming at people for actions you believe to be wrong, why not politely inform them of the other side of the story. Just a thought....
3 (her reply) I have been involved in MANY rescues myself (exotic
and domestic) and have seen first hand what breeders are responsible for. IT STARTS WITH THE BREEDERS. THE ANIMAL NEEDING HELP WOULD NOT EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! How can you claim to be an animal rescue volunteer and still agree with all the breeding?? I have personally rescued over 12 dogs and 3 cats and 1 snake and to many birds to remember off hand.(And
have had to spend more money than you could believe on their medical care alone) Also I have been a volunteer at 3 shelters in my state. Any true animal lover or volunteer etc.. would love to see the exotic animal breeding industry shut down. Or are you afraid that you will be out of a job?????? If
you actually believe that breeders will not sell to people without a license then you are to IGNORANT to have a conversation with me regarding animal
rights/welfare!! And if you read the posting rules on that section of
the site it clearly states that if you are a breeder, to post in a different section. I have read EVERY SINGLE post there and most of those people are EXACTLY the type of people I described and worse! There are few of those types of people whom you can use the ole honey trick with by the way!

Here's my view on the whole issue....
1) We should support quality breeders of QUALITY animals, and close down backyard breeders by introducing better cruelty laws, and having all kennels register with the state. All sales of animals should be regulated/registered, and "kennels" which do not follow the rules should be shut down, fined, and/or put in jail.
2) People are not born knowing how to properly take care of themselves. They are taught over their lifetime. In the same way, people are not taught how to care for their pets. Education is the only way that we are ever going to get ahead of the overpopulation issue, and other animal related issues.
3) I do not believe that it should be wrong to own an exotic animal. Once again, exotics require attention that most people ae unaware of. Educating them about proper diet and care.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't agree with people owning exotic animals. I think that wild/exotic animals should basically be left alone, so that they can have the life that comes naturally to them. I believe that in an ideal world, the only time wild/exotic animals should be in captivity is when it is for purposes of conservation, i.e. to reestablish the wild population.

That being said, I'm aware that people are going to continue to own exotic animals, and believe that it is their right. I don't think that is ever going to go away. Since that is the case, I think we do need to focus, like you said, on making sure that breeders are responsible and that the animals are being treated humanely and with the utmost care. I agree that breeding practices need to be regulated (both for breeding exotic and domesticated animals) and that irresponsible breeders need to be shut down. I also agree that people who are going to own exotic animals (and any kind of animal) need to be educated on how to keep their animals healthy and happy and give them the highest quality of life possible. I think it is only with a combination of education (on spay/neutering, on responsible care, etc) and by regulating breeding practices (and having larger penalties for violations of regulations) that problems like overpopulation will come under control.

Ok, hehe, now this is getting funny. I'm sorry. I just have to laugh b/c everyone wonders why animal rights is such a touchy subject. It's b/c people like this go nuts and give everyone a bad name. Last post, I promise ;)

(My reply to her last post)
I agree that the breeders are supposed to post in a different section, so are people searching for pets, and so are problem animals. Issues like this are why animal rights have such a bad name. There is a thing called tolerance. I believe that yes there are issues out there that we should pick a side, however the only way you are ever going to get anywhere with the animal issue is to educate, educate, educate. Not rant and rave, and put people down. It hurts your credibility. I personally have rescued over 150 animals from bad situations, and more when you count the rescues I have worked with. The number of animals you have saved has nothing to do with anything. A person who gives $1 to any animal related cause is a rescuer in my mind. People do not come in to the world knowing how to care for their pets. We must teach them. It's as simple as that.
BTW, what do you mean by I would be out of a job? I told you before, I do not breed, and if there was no reason to rescue that would suit me just fine.
One more thing you are forgetting-You mentioned that anyone who hunts, but can go to the grocery store and buy their food, could not possibly be an animal lover. I am vegetarian, however I would much rather have someone go and shoot an animal quickly, than put the animal through the torture of the slaughterhouse. Again, this doesn't help your credibility.

(Her reply)
"I am only going to tell you this one time. I just
checked my mail and saw the reply to my message. I
WILL NOT read it because as I stated before,"YOU ARE
TO IGNORANT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH ME ABOUT
ANIMAL WELFARE/RIGHTS" You are not an animal lover and I have no use for
you!! I sounded off after reading all the posts on that
site. You are wasting your time e-mailing me because this is
NOT my regular address and I will drop it and
disappear without anymore thought!!
I love how it burns you up that you will never be
heard by me!! MAKES YOU REAL MAD HUH YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX "

Members don't see this ad :)
DrRae- Why do u even try to hold some civil conversation with this person? She sounds like she has a stick up her a@@. I'm sorry and she sounds really immature. She called u an idiot and laffed. What a joke. She sounds kinda nutty in my opinion. But thats just me.
I guess my opinion is God put animals here for our pleasure. Yes I don't believe they should be tortured or put in pain for any reason, but I don't believe that ppl in other cultures or other places can't have exotics or eat them etc. I'm asian and I know alot of asians in CHina or wherever do eat dogs, cats etc. Its sick but that's their culture!

I personally own a turtle. I think I do a good job taking care of it. Its alot of work and he's not a cuddly animal. But I still enjoy owning him. I don't want to give him away. I don't think there's anything wrong with owning an exotic if u give them the proper care and love just like any animal. I only think u shouldn't own a wild animal like a tiger, elephant etc. Those are meant to only be left in the wild.

cliff_notes.jpg

(kidding)

;)

Sorry it's so long :) It was just funny to me and had to share. I'm not normally that long winded.
DrRae

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR DR RAE. That AINT EXACTLY EYECANDY OF A POST. +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

howarddean2004.gif

Dr. Dean-I'm confused. What are your thoughts on this subject? BTW, in case I have pissed anyone off with my views, I did not mean too. I am curious to everyone's thoughts on this subject. My issue was not with this particular person's views, it was with the way it was handled. I expressed my opinion, and she went nuts. I do not mind someone trying to get me to change my mind. After all, I am all for education, and being educated. My problem is when someone argues, and tells me I am wrong without having anything to back it up. So come on people, tell me what you think about breeders and the exotic animal industry. Let's get some disscussion going...
DrRae

Okay first of all I have to admit that I only scanned your post but I get the general idea of what was said. I have never thought of quality breeders as contributing to the over population of dogs and cats (how often can you go to an animal shelter and they will show you a $1,000 dog with papers). The people that are the problem are puppy mill owners and backyard breeders, you can't get rid of them by saying that honest breeders can't breed. That would be like if someone said that no one could drive a car anymore because SOME drivers are reckless. Those who are good should be allowed to continue and there should be people to look out for those who are not good (Animal Cops is one of my favorite shows). :)
As for exotics, I don't know a lot in that area, but I think it goes along the same lines. Some exotics can do quite well and live as happy a life as a domestic animal in a house. But there should be lots of regulations about who can own specifics types, what environment they will live in, and where they came from. (I sometimes wish there were more regulations on who can own domestic pets.)

As for the main point about how stubborn ignorant people are, I agree there are some people that there is no talking to. The worse ones are the ones who say "why can't you be more open minded" when they are the ones that don't listen to a word you say. I'm not sure there is anyway you can actually talk to them, you just have to stay logical in what you say and not get emotional even though it is very easy to get angry when people refuse to look at a situation from any point of view other than their own.

Yes, it is possible for someone to breed animals responsibly. This means taking steps to ensure that breeding is done only to improve the breed, spaying and neutering all non-champion-quality puppies and kittens before adoption/sale, and including a clause in the contract that states they will take the animal back at any time, for any reason.

A responsible breeder's animals will never contribute to the homeless animal crisis, and will never end up abandoned or in a shelter or rescue group.

Needless to say, there are far more irresponsible breeders than responsible breeders.