Time in service calculation for basic pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dEviantrAdiologist

Evacuation proctographer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been running the numbers on what to expect when I start AD next academic year and I appreciate all of the posts and comments people have contributed so far. One question I have is what is my 'start date' for time in service with regards to my situation below... I have seen discrepant posts regarding this issue..

Navy HPSP 4 years for medical school. 5 year civilian deferred radiology residency. 1 year civilian deferred fellowship. (I will probably be an O-4).

Now do I calculate my pay based on when I finished medical school (so 'over 6' on the basic pay scale) or will it be '2 or less' based on the fact I haven't done any significant AD yet? This difference turns out to be around 15k which is significant.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I've been running the numbers on what to expect when I start AD next academic year and I appreciate all of the posts and comments people have contributed so far. One question I have is what is my 'start date' for time in service with regards to my situation below... I have seen discrepant posts regarding this issue..

Navy HPSP 4 years for medical school. 5 year civilian deferred radiology residency. 1 year civilian deferred fellowship. (I will probably be an O-4).

Now do I calculate my pay based on when I finished medical school (so 'over 6' on the basic pay scale) or will it be '2 or less' based on the fact I haven't done any significant AD yet? This difference turns out to be around 15k which is significant.

thanks!

Should be O-4 with over 6. Beware they may pay you as O-4 with over 10. Be sure to save the difference because they WILL ask for it back.

Should be O-4 with over 6. Beware they may pay you as O-4 with over 10. Be sure to save the difference because they WILL ask for it back.

Thanks for the quick reply.... additional question somewhat related maybe. If my paybase starts after I finish medical school without doing AD yet, does my IRR timeclock start at that point as well? Or am I looking at 8 years to be served concurrently starting when I start AD next year?

It's hilarious thinking back to when I was sworn in and I thought I had done my research and really thought through things.... my naivete is *almost* embarrassing. Thanks for your help tho.

Thanks for the quick reply.... additional question somewhat related maybe. If my paybase starts after I finish medical school without doing AD yet, does my IRR timeclock start at that point as well? Or am I looking at 8 years to be served concurrently starting when I start AD next year?

It's hilarious thinking back to when I was sworn in and I thought I had done my research and really thought through things.... my naivete is *almost* embarrassing. Thanks for your help tho.

Join the club as far as being naive.

Your IRR would have started upon graduation if you did a military residency. But because you deferred your eight years starts upon completion of residency.