Time off during undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetski123321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently a junior in college and I had to withdraw from all my classes due to overwhelming depression. I'm planning on taking some time off, getting my head back together, and going to paramedic school before finishing college. I have always wanted to be a paramedic and I think this will really help me to feel better.

Now if I want to go to medical school one day, would this look bad? I had to withdraw from all my classes and then I'm planning on taking nearly 2 years off from college.

Members don't see this ad.

No, this will not look bad depending on how you frame it. If you write about how you needed to mature and grow as an individual, and show that you were productive, this will be fine and the adcom's will probably see you as a well-rounded individual for it. I would not necessarily note that you withdrew due to depression, although it is unfortunate the adcom's also look at a person's emotional stability as a factor. Hopefully all works out well for you, and good luck!