Time Off, or No Time At All?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDPT2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently choosing between two programs, one of which starts immediately (during my last spring semester in undergrad actually), and the other leaves a 7-month gap time, starting the following January. Just wondering what kind of jobs students get or what people may do in waiting out an awkward seven months before entering a PT program... or, if starting right out of the gates with a summer semester of PT school has been a favorable experience for others. I know burnout is real, but my spring semester won't be very taxing. any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your mental strength and how rigorous your undergrad class work was

I think taking a break can be good for mental health though, taking time off from school just resting+working part-time.

But to be honest for me personally I wouldn't commit to a program straight out of undergrad, just personally.

If you're a 21/22 year old applicant you have about 60 years left to enjoy stuff above ground. Make whatever choice that gives you the most net happiness over those 60 years.
Personally, I couldn't handle 7 months of stagnation, I need to feel like i'm moving forward all the time or I get restless. But perhaps a break would help, especially if you have some long distance relocation to do.