Time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

junella,
i was in the same position a couple of years ago, and i played. i did things i never had time to do like read, travel, go to beaches and tan...i lived it up. i moved to san diego, found a great job doing research and did fun things on the weekend. my gpa was a 3.5...mcat avg=7. i think admiss.commitees look for individuals that are real and well rounded...so my advice is to PLAY..have fun.
good luck
adriana

I would do something health/science related that you enjoy. If you enjoy research, go for it. If you never did research before, why not try it to see what it is like. If you are going to take classes to boost your GPA, make sure you do really well cause if you do, it will only help.

I think it's a little bit early to start "playing." You don't want to send the message that you're a lazy bum to the admissions committee. "So, Junella, what are you doing now?" "Uh, I spend most of my day reading and I play tennis every other day." You can do all this stuff AFTER you get in but before that, you have to demonstrate that you have lots of interests, like to stay active (physically AND mentally), you get the picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I echo justwanna's sentiments on doing what you want now, but save the play for some other time. You're not in the very envious position of being able to play just yet.

Are you thinking about only applying to DO schools, or have you included MD schools as well?

From what I know, I think MD schools would be much more impressed with more scholarly pursuits (i.e., research, coursework, etc.) than other things. Not that DO schools don't also appreciate these things from applicants, but I've been told by the Director of Admissions of a DO school that they're looking for "human" applicants.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited July 30, 1999).]

I suggest you to take upper level science courses and "boost up" your gpa a little bit. Your grades are not bad but, to be more competitive, a higher gpa is better.

Good luck

Thanks for all your input!

Junella,

It depends on when the committee reviews your app for the interview, or when your interview is scheduled. Unless you are rejected altogether before the fall grades are in, then cleary your best option is to have transcripts sent directly to your schools. Don't send them to AACOMAS. What you would want to hope for is that your interview gets scheduled for early Jan. so you can play up the great scores you recieved! I will also echo "justwanna's" perspective... don't blow off an opportunity to get some serious patient contact, or to make yourself a more competitive applicant. I think you'll find that your whole scheme of getting into medical school will become very clear in the interview! (Unless you end up with sub-standard interviewers like I had at AZCOM)
smile.gif

Good luck with the MCAT!
BRAD

Hi Brad,

Tell me about your interview at AZCOM and more about that school. I thought it might be a good school since it is affiliated with CCOM.

Tej

Tej,

Post your address and I'll explain.

Brad

please dont waste your time taking grad courses. two or three a's in first year grad courses will not make your application rise up and levitate off the admissions desk. your ug gpa is set in stone. live with it. mine was practically the same from a less noteworthy school, and my mcats sucked! ALAS- I am a first year right now because I am a interesting person who has done interesting things in my life. Lesson learned...go do something that really makes the difference! something where you really stand out-and make sure aacomas or the schools gets notice of it!! something where the admissions folks will stand up and say "DAMN, i gotta talk to this person".