Time?

lovemydrhubby

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As DH enters his 3rd yr this July- I'm getting more anxious about his time committments. For the spouses- how demanding is the 3rd-4th year schedule? Will I ever see him? lol Maybe it just sounds like more that it really is to me...

Just wondering: what is the typical rotation schedule for a 3rd/4th yr med student?

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is about to enter his fourth year, and from experience, third year wasn't as bad as I had heard. It depends on the specific rotation of course. Surgery and Ob/Gyn were the most time consuming, with early hours and late evenings, but overall it wasn't too bad. He did have to do one month in a different town about two hours away, but if we had children he would have gotten that rotation much closer to home. Some rotations were not at all time consuming and he would be home before me - I work M-F, 8-5 and some sections of even the harder ones were easy. I know this isn't very specific but I would definitely not worry about it because the schedule changes so frequently and flexibility is key. Here is his schedule -

Internal Medicine - 8 wks.
Pediatrics - 8 wks.
Surgery - 8 wks.
Christmas break
Psychiatry - 6 wks.
Ob/Gyn - 6 wks.
Family Practice - 4 wks.
Geriatrics - 4 wks.
Neurosurgery - 4 wks.

It really depends on the school and the rotation. Some months will be q3 and a little harder to manage, but he's likely to have some outpatient months too.

Congratulations!