Timeline Advice - possible to matriculate at 26?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sndalt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With a recent graduation from undergrad in Sociology (3.6 GPA), I will soon be entering my Masters of Public Health program at Oregon State (fully covered). I am 22 years old, and will graduate with my MPH at 24. I hope to start my post-bacc immediately after that.

I don't have any science pre-reqs for medical school, but pursuing this is something that I need to do and I am working hard to make that happen. I am coming to you guys because I want to know if it would be possible for me to matriculate at age 26 (2 years after I graduate from my masters program).

I know that most students in my position need a full two year post-bacc followed by a gap year. I really want to eliminate this gap year. If I take a few classes at Oregon State alongside my masters (they are all fully covered) could I possibly matriculate into med school at age 26? Or is this too brief of a timeline to get everything done? I will be taking most of my difficult science classes in the two year post-bac period following my MPH, but I want to get a start on my pre-reqs here with a few of the less-intensive classes.

Tried to keep it short but TLDR; **** the gap year, can I matriculate at 26?

Sean

Members don't see this ad.

To the people who get upset when the old-timers around here complain about appropriate use of the search function not being utilized, or just spending some time reading through some recent relevant threads to whatever your question might be, I would like to enter this as Exhibit A for the prosecution.

OP, of course you CAN matriculate at 26. There is no statutory limit to doing or not doing a gap year. However, you have no idea about 1) how you'll perform in your science pre-reqs, or 2) how you'll perform on the MCAT. Without that information, no one can give you an actual answer, because although you could get accepted at 26, you might not. Life is a game of probabilities.

Reactions: 3 users
I am actually in a similar situation, except I am working on an MSW. I would say that assuming you are not working full time and you are just a full time student, it is feasible to take prereqs alongside your MPH coursework. Even if you were to take 1 pre req per semester in addition to your masters coursework, that alone could shave a year off your total post-bac timeline.

EDIT- Just remember though that you're still young and this isn't a race. Do well and remain flexible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working part time - 20 hours a week as a graduate assistant. I won't be taking a course my first semester because I don't want to jump into things too quickly, but possibly next term and every term after that. And maybe I will have more room in my last semester to load up, that would be nice. Are you taking undergrad courses along with your MSW?

Are you taking undergrad courses along with your MSW?

Yes. I'm taking one because I'm loaded up on the grad side (17 hours). Next semester I'll be at 14 hours so I may take prereq two classes.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are worried about time, why are you getting another degree? Your MPH won't mean a thing if you get D's in your required science courses for med school, then you will be farther away from matriculating....even OLDER!!!

If you are worried about getting older, stop aging. But since you can't do that, do the best you can in your required science courses, because THAT and MCAT scores are two major factors influencing when you go to med school.

BTW you still have clinical work, volunteering, shadowing, letters of recommendation to obtain.

Your question about matriculating at 26 with a Sociology undergrad degree depends on MCAT and sGPA, LORs, ECs, clinicals. Did you see anywhere that having a MPH makes you more attractive as an applicant? Being a Physician involves much more than collecting college degrees. Even getting accepted to medical school is only PART of the equation.

How well you interact with patients, staff, other Physicians (and non-physicians) are all going to play an important role in determining your success....and that's not something they can "teach" you...those are life skills developed over TIME....something you are battling against due to the nature of your post!

My advice: Don't let the battle over time come around and bite you in the backside. Do the best you can and place less emphasis on how many trips around the calender you make!.....best of luck.

Is this a serious question?

The goal is to get A's and get into med school. If you can do that quicker that's great. But most would be better off extending things rather then rushing them. The biggest mistake people make in this process is rushing things. I've seen people take on too much, do poorly, and not get into med school. I've seen people take the MCAT without enough prereqs under their belt and not get in. I've seen people go abroad to try and "save a year" only to end up losing multiple years externing and repeating prelim years. It's not a race. do what you need to to do well and get in. If that means a gap year or extended course work, so be it -- it's irrelevant in a 40 year career.

Reactions: 1 users
As a current MPH student, depending on the focus of your MPH, I'm not sure I'd advise taking science pre reqs alongside MPH courses and 20hrs a week of work. I think you're not going to do something justice there. Especially a semester where you have courses like epidemiology or biostats. You could possibly do them during the summer between year one and two, but most people use that time to get practical experience out of their MPH.

If you plan to actually use the MPH with your medical degree you're going to want to build practical skills outside of just taking the minimum required courses, doing things such as internships, field experiences, other projects, etc. These are also things that could be mentioned on a med school application.

For example, I'm in Epidemiology and did my field experience in the emergency dept of a county hospital. I did clinical research screening patients for studies, informed consent, then data collection, and chart reviews. So if you plan it well, you can kill two birds with one stone and do stuff that will be beneficial for both med school applications and your MPH, like nonprofit volunteering or clinical research.

Now if you aren't planning on using the MPH along with your MD, then maybe getting that degree is not the best use of your time.

It's important to realize that medical training is a marathon, not a sprint. It can be very draining, so I would advise you to not try to pile everything on in a short amount of time and kill yourself in the process before you even apply. Try to make the most of it and enjoy wherever you're at on the journey as well. I've had a great time in my MPH program and wish I'd had the opportunity to take it a bit slower and not cram it in with working 40 hours a week on night shift, volunteering, commuting long distance for class and other stuff. There are some great opportunities to explore, so give yourself time for that.

Dude, just take the gap year and enjoy it. You're going to put yourself on way too high of a stress level by trying to cram in all the extra courses, and might harm your GPA in the process. The chance for an extra year to enjoy in your 20s a gift, not a curse.

Thank you all for the great points. I think I'm rushing because one of my buddies got in straight out if undergrad. This mindset is not healthy like many of you suggest.

I love the field of public health so I won't drop out of my MPH program. It is also completely paid for, so that's a plus. Don't care if it doesn't help me get into med school or not, that's not why I pursued it.

Like many of you said, I think I would be better off taking my pre reqs following my graduate program and using these next two years to get clinical and shadowing experience (which I have been doing by volunteering at the local hospital).

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated

Looks like we might have "saved one" here......glad to help!

Saved one....as in....pointed someone in the right direction with advise.

If it helps, I'm 40 and finishing up a master's in bioethics that I will need to be done before matriculating in med school (I don't apply to med school until next summer). People have asked why I bothered doing the bioethics masters, and it's because I'm really interested in it. It won't matter for my med school apps really, because graduate GPA isn't really factored in, but I looked at dual programs and figured this would leave me with more med school options if I get the bioethics degree done first. If your MPH is paid for, just enjoy getting it. Worry about the post bacc classes after you're done. You're still super young and I personally think the more you live, the more developed a candidate you will present when you submit your md app.

Just a thought: why not get the pre-reqs done now and aim to go to a school with an MD/MPH program? I go to a school which allows you to complete an MPH within the 4 years of medical school (coursework and research mainly being in summers). The fact that you have it fully paid for might not mean much in the grand scheme of things if you do the MD/MPH at institution(s) with low tuition because the two years you are about to spend in MPH school would be two years that you could potentially be making attending salary.

Another thought: Is there any way to defer the MPH? Maybe then you could do the pre-reqs first and then spend your application year(s) doing your MPH?

Take your time and do things the right way. Don't rush and stress yourself. It's not a race. I'm 33. You're younger than I am, what's the difference between matriculating at 26 vs 27?

I think part of the reason why I want to stay and get my MPH (besides my interest in PH) is also for the experience. I'm young and at a fun and spirited large university that I haven't experienced before. I hear graduate school is a lot of fun, and that's been true so far (one week in). I can slowly start my pre reqs while I am here and finish them after I'm out in less than two years. I'm thinking this program will be a great life experience for me and I am hoping to enjoy it.

These forums have helped me understand that I don't need to rush. I'll get there and matriculate at a decent age. Somewhere around 26, 27 or 28 which I am fine with. I have met with a pre med advisor here on campus and have discussed logistics. Helped me feel much better about my plan. Thank you guys for your support as well!