Timeline to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the recommended timeline to apply to dental school, what's covered on the DAT, and when it's best to take it and to apply. Also, do you have to complete all pre-reqs prior to taking the DAT? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

turtmd said:
What is the recommended timeline to apply to dental school, what's covered on the DAT, and when it's best to take it and to apply. Also, do you have to complete all pre-reqs prior to taking the DAT? Thanks

o Investigate Dentistry as a Career.
Visit this web site at: http://www.dent.unc.edu/careers/

o Visit dental offices to shadow dentists.

o Visit dental school websites to learn what is required for admission.

o Determine when you can complete these requirements.

o Visit www.adea.org to view AADSAS application requirements &
instructions in May of your junior year.
You must file the application electronically.
Apply to more than one school.

o Take the DAT as soon as you complete the required coursework.

o Decide on recommenders to write letters of support.

o Keep application up to date; submit new grades.

o Carefully comply with the follow-up instructions of each school.

- You need to have usually 2/3 of your pre-reqs done before you can apply but this varies from school to school

- Check out what is on the DAT at www.adea.org (look to take it end of May, you got loads of time.

- Basically get everything done by June for the 2007 cycle and GET YOUR APP IN EARLY, it makes all the difference.

turtmd said:

Most schools start reviewing applications and offering interviews around the end of August/beginning of September and as I'm sure anyone here can tell you, AADSAS takes FOREVER so it would be best to submit early...sometime in June or July. It's probably a good idea to take the DAT in the early summer before you submit your application. The DAT has SAT level math, reading comprehension, gen bio, gen chem, organic chem, and the dreaded perceptual ability test. You don't need all the pre-reqs to take the DAT, but it would be very helpful to at least have taken gen bio/chem/and ochem first. Also, Kaplan puts out a very good review book...go to walmart.com and buy it, you won't regret it. It also has some good info about applying to dental school, so get it and read it over as soon as possible so you have an idea of whats coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info. But I don't think I can have everything done by June so I can start on 2007 :( ; I have an AA degree in Liberal Arts, but I haven't taken most of the pre-reqs. I'm took Chm I and Physics I and Lab I, now I am taking CHM II, Chm lab I. I work full time so it's really hard for me to take more classes...I was thinking of taking BIO I, Lab I and Chm II lab during the Summer I, and bio II lab II during summer II. Can I still take the DAT and apply with these courses? :scared:

Rajan247 said:
o Investigate Dentistry as a Career.
Visit this web site at: http://www.dent.unc.edu/careers/

o Visit dental offices to shadow dentists.

o Visit dental school websites to learn what is required for admission.

o Determine when you can complete these requirements.

o Visit www.adea.org to view AADSAS application requirements &
instructions in May of your junior year.
You must file the application electronically.
Apply to more than one school.

o Take the DAT as soon as you complete the required coursework.

o Decide on recommenders to write letters of support.

o Keep application up to date; submit new grades.

o Carefully comply with the follow-up instructions of each school.

- You need to have usually 2/3 of your pre-reqs done before you can apply but this varies from school to school

- Check out what is on the DAT at www.adea.org (look to take it end of May, you got loads of time.

- Basically get everything done by June for the 2007 cycle and GET YOUR APP IN EARLY, it makes all the difference.

Hmm, i think you would be setting yourself up for failure. Take the classes and do well in them, and once you have your bio, chem and ochem taking the DAT will be a breeze. With what you suggested you wont have ochem which you need for the DAT. I dont know too many people who can learn ochem on their own but it is possible. Giving yourself the extra time to get shadowing and leadership skills boosted up giving you the best chance for a one punch, one knockout attempt.

I would make sure you have the prereqs for the schools you want to apply and focus on those. Lay out your plans in excel sheet. What school do you go to? I got some time, i'll give you hand setting up stuff if you need. Maybe there is away once you consider it all

raj

Thank you! I am currently going to the University of South Florida. The only two schools in Florida for dentistry are University of Florida and Nova.

Rajan247 said:
Hmm, i think you would be setting yourself up for failure. Take the classes and do well in them, and once you have your bio, chem and ochem taking the DAT will be a breeze. With what you suggested you wont have ochem which you need for the DAT. I dont know too many people who can learn ochem on their own but it is possible. Giving yourself the extra time to get shadowing and leadership skills boosted up giving you the best chance for a one punch, one knockout attempt.

I would make sure you have the prereqs for the schools you want to apply and focus on those. Lay out your plans in excel sheet. What school do you go to? I got some time, i'll give you hand setting up stuff if you need. Maybe there is away once you consider it all

raj