Timing, Classes, Pre-reqs, Cats, and Bacon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alsaire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so admittedly that title was just there to catch somebody's eye, which I hope it did :p.

In any case, my question *does* concern the first two items in that title. For background, I just graduated and I'm going to be attending Georgetown's SMP next year. However, at the same time I'm applying for the current med school cycle with what I have now to see how I can do. The only problem is that I have 2 pre-reqs that I were not able to finish because I wasn't able to fit them into my schedule (damn you public schools with your millions of students competing for the same spots!).

The 2 pre-reqs I don't have finished are: 1 quarter worth of english, and 1 quarters worth of Life Science/Biology. The english requirement is pretty much cut and dry, although I am slightly confused as to what counts as english.

Question #1: At my school, they put a "W" at the end of what they consider writing classes, but I took a Classics course(that didn't have the "W" posted at the end) that had intensive reading and writing involved, would schools count that Classics course as writing?

Question #2: Since we go by the quarter system, I technically already have 3 quarters (a full year of LS, with LS2, LS3, and LS4), which is what most schools require, but I'm lacking LS1, which is ecology/evolution (and my pre-med advisor says I apparently need)...so do I need this?

and the last, and probably most important:
Question #3: If I end up needing to take both of these courses, I was thinking about doing it through my school's extension program next summer. If I apply this cycle right now, and tell them I'm planning on taking those two courses (1 quarter of English and 1 quarter of LS), would they be okay with it? Or would they count me as not having completed my pre-reqs and throw my application away?

I appreciate anybody and everybody who is willing to read through this rather long thread and give me a definitive answer on this, as I have asked around before, and nobody really responded with relevant information. Thanks everyone! And I hope to be attending a med school with you fine folks next year :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes, even without the "W" designation they would likely figure it out. Even if they don't, however, you can easily explain this to them if it were to actually become a problem (i.e., as you're about to matriculate and they notice that you haven't completed your pre-reqs). Keep a copy of the syllabus or make sure your professor is reachable in the event you need some "back up." If you're overly concerned, you should talk to the schools specifically see what they think. I think most schools think of things like British Literature, American Literature, etc. when they think of "english," however, if your classics course was essentially reading texts and writing papers/discussing passages, I don't see why it wouldn't be counted towards your english requirement.

2) If you were a biological sciences major, you'll more than likely be fine without that first quarter of courses as you'll get "credit" from an upper level biology class. You should contact schools about this specifically just to make sure.

3) Yes, that would be fine (with the exception of schools that require you to complete your pre-reqs before applying; I think there are one or two schools that have this requirement).

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Yes, even without the "W" designation they would likely figure it out. Even if they don't, however, you can easily explain this to them if it were to actually become a problem (i.e., as you're about to matriculate and they notice that you haven't completed your pre-reqs). Keep a copy of the syllabus or make sure your professor is reachable in the event you need some "back up." If you're overly concerned, you should talk to the schools specifically see what they think. I think most schools think of things like British Literature, American Literature, etc. when they think of "english," however, if your classics course was essentially reading texts and writing papers/discussing passages, I don't see why it wouldn't be counted towards your english requirement.

2) If you were a biological sciences major, you'll more than likely be fine without that first quarter of courses as you'll get "credit" from an upper level biology class. You should contact schools about this specifically just to make sure.

3) Yes, that would be fine (with the exception of schools that require you to complete your pre-reqs before applying; I think there are one or two schools that have this requirement).

By one or two schools, do you mean one or two schools that you've applied to, or one or two out of the entire medical school list?

and for 2), I'm actually a biochemistry major, so I've taken bio-related classes, but none of them have anything to do with evolution/ecology. Do adcoms care at all about whether or not I take that? Or do they just care about me getting in my year of biology, disregarding whatever content it was?

And Aiyatuc, cats and bacon for everyone if I get accepted! I promise

now with cats and bacon!

cat_not_enough_bacon.jpg

Cats-and-bacon09.jpg

By one or two schools, do you mean one or two schools that you've applied to, or one or two out of the entire medical school list?

It's one or two out of the entire medical school list.

I came for the bacon, I stayed for the memes.

Nick pretty much nailed it though. If you are truly uneasy about the class-qualification, just shoot the school an email or call them, they are usually quite receptive and informative.