timing of application and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anne12573

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I have a question that perhaps someone more knowledgable on the subject can help me with. I'll be applying this application season and want to submit my application to AMCAS as early as possible (June 1). I took the MCAT in April 1997, and for a very small number of schools, my score will be considered "too old" this year. My plan was to take the August MCAT this year to be able to provide a non-expired score to those schools, but I don't want to hold up my application to schools for whom this issue isn't relevant.

So my question: can I submit my AMCAS application June 1st, notify those specific schools that I am aware that my MCAT score is too old and let them know that I will be retaking in August, then release my August MCAT scores when the time comes. I am aware that a released MCAT score will go to all schools on my AMCAS application, including schools for whom my 1997 score is still valid. I'm thinking that this is okay, as people taking the August MCAT must submit their AMCAS application prior to getting score their score results. I'm not worried so much on the quality of the score, just the feasibility of the timing.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any insight into the mystery that is med school applications.

Members don't see this ad.

If you check the box on the AMCAS application stating that you will writing in August, then all the schools that you apply through AMCAS will wait for your August set of scores.

I tried calling a few schools to tell them that I want to use my old scores, but they said "Tough... You shouldn't have checked the box."

An alternative is to not check the box, write the damn test and then your scores should be sent to all the schools that you have applied to.