Timing the application to medical school and Teach For America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroDevil

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In searching previous threads I wasn't able to find a clear answer to my question, which is as follows: when do people who do TFA typically apply to medical schools? Next year I'll be a senior, but I'm not applying this cycle. My original plan was to apply the summer after I graduate, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to interview later that year due to my teaching responsibilities. Do most people who do TFA that haven't applied and been accepted their senior year end up applying after their two years are over?

Thanks for any insights.
 
I have a friend who's waiting until she finishes TFA before applying; her reasoning is that she can't imagine doing secondaries and interviews while teaching because it's SO stressful! Also, you do get a set number of sick days and from what I've been told it's not enough to do interviews. But again, this is a secondhand account so maybe someone with a firsthand experience can chime in.

In searching previous threads I wasn't able to find a clear answer to my question, which is as follows: when do people who do TFA typically apply to medical schools? Next year I'll be a senior, but I'm not applying this cycle. My original plan was to apply the summer after I graduate, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to interview later that year due to my teaching responsibilities. Do most people who do TFA that haven't applied and been accepted their senior year end up applying after their two years are over?

Thanks for any insights.
 
I'll give you some perspective...I took the MCAT and applied to medical school during my second year of TFA. I applied again the following year. I would not have applied as a teacher in retrospect because it was incredibly stressful and I was only able to go to 5 interviews (not enough sick days).

Your best bet is to apply your senior year and defer OR apply the year after you finish TFA.

PM me if you have more specific questions.