Tips for Class of 2020!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing similar threads in previous years, so I decided to keep the tradition going.

Current dental students, what recommendations/tips/advice would you give to a future D1? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

#1 advice: travel while you have the time. time becomes more valuable as you are farther along the process of life.
- spend time to get to know your classmates when school starts. having a support group is more valuable than spending 24-7 studying. Also, you may get great study guides/info for exams through that. great ROI

Reactions: 5 users
Take the summer to relax. If you are employed full time during the summer, consider taking a few weeks off prior to the semester starting. It may be the last time you have that opportunity for quite some time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Invest in something that will help you stay reasonably comfortable while studying. For example: if you like studying at home, maybe invest in a good/comfortable/ergonomic desk chair and external monitor to hook your laptop to. If you like studying in the library, comfortable noise-blocking headphones.

Reactions: 6 users
If you think you may want to specialize in the future, keep those grades as high as you can. Get involved in student government and other groups at school. Take time to do research during the school year or summer. Shadow the residents to get an idea of each specialty. You will have to put in A LOT of work for this. Keep in mind that everyone wants to specialize when they start out, and this desire doesn't last much longer than the first semester. Only the very (and I mean VERY) determined will get there.

If you know you don't want to specialize, congratulations! Dental school is going to be a breeze! Settle for Bs and your dental school experience will be much more enjoyable than the gunners.

Reactions: 2 users
Forget hand-note taking, make all your notes electronics.
Lab/projects: get them done ASAP, but don't work when everybody is working on the project (if 10 people are waiting to use a machine, you are wasting your time).
Get good connections with upperclassmen: they will give you tips on improving handskills, may introduce you to a faculties in case you are interested in specialties; may hand out notes that are well made.
Get a good bed, live close to school.
Exercise regularly (at least 3 times a week). Even if you think you are busy with school. Trust me on this. 30 min work out is better than none.
Stay out of drama, go under the radar and graduate.

Reactions: 15 users
-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Stay out of drama, go under the radar and graduate.

What kind of drama? LOL I remember someone told me that dental school is a lot like high school in a way. I guess it's true haha

Study smarter not harder. Talk to many upperclassmen to find out what's actually useful and what's not.

Reactions: 1 user
Travel. Go on a cruise or something.

Lots of sex

Reactions: 9 users
D2 chiming in. I'll second the notion to lay low, avoid drama with classmate and faculty, and pick your battles carefully.

Other than that, enjoy the ride! In 10 years time, this experience will be as trivial as high school.

Start practicing crown preps early, otherwise by the time you are good at them the fixed pros class is over and you'll still get a bad grade.

GET INVOLVED!

Classes and course load really isn't quite as terrible as you may have heard in undergrad. Is there still a lot of work? Heck yeah but its really manageable. I have found dental school to be of the best time of my life because I've been really involved in school events, volunteering, doing things outside of class with classmates, and joining clubs such as ASDA and the local 'fraternity.' There are plenty of classmates stressing out over everything and stay in there little personal bubble, but I've noticed that all of the students who make an effort to do other things than school are 10x happier and doing just as well scholastically than the ones who stress out and lose sleep staying up until 3AM studying.

DON'T LET DENTAL SCHOOL DEFINE YOU

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PS: ASDA is my #1 recommended way to get involved in the school. I'm only half-way through my first year and I've already spent a week in Seattle and Dallas for ASDA districts and nationals and had a time of my life at both. You meet dental students from all over the country and attain invaluable info from conferences and speeches that they don't teach you in dental school.

Reactions: 4 users
Some good advice here. But another point worth mentioning is try not to let others stress you out. You are in a class full of bright individuals. Do your own thing and stick with study habits that work for you. Some people will study for five nights to get an A, where others only need to study for one night. As for myself, I cram, but I'm pretty good at it. So at the beginning when I heard people talking about studying every night, it got to me a little and stressed me out. It made me question my abilities to cover the amount of material in the time I was giving myself. But now when I hear people stressing about a test the following week, I just tune it out. I continue to do what works for me and I'm very satisfied with my grades.

Another thing. In pre-clinic when working on projects, don't let the work speed of others affect you. I always feel behind in lab because people around me get things done much faster. But after discussing practical grades, I usually do better than them. So just do you and go in on weekends to practice if you feel you need it to gain some confidence. Confidence means a lot in dentistry.

Reactions: 13 users
Bumping to the top for C/O 2021!

Such great advice.

Reactions: 3 users