Tips for first time interviewing with PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc2000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be interviewing with a PI involved in research regarding public heath and how social demographics can influence healthcare. I was wondering if any of you have tips for me in regards to our meeting?

Members don't see this ad.

He’ll definetly ask why you’re interested in his research, what your schedule is like, and what your strengths and weakness are. Nothing that you wouldn’t be asked in a typical job interview.

Just watch some interview videos on YouTube and see how they would apply to your case.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
So I am going to be interviewing with a PI involved in research regarding public heath and how social demographics can influence healthcare. I was wondering if any of you have tips for me in regards to our meeting?
From personal experience, I would also suggest getting comfortable with anything that the PI has published and currently working on to build upon why you are interested in working in their lab. Also be clear with what you expect to gain from this experience and why you believe working with them will benefit both of you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From personal experience, I would also suggest getting comfortable with anything that the PI has published and currently working on to build upon why you are interested in working in their lab. Also be clear with what you expect to gain from this experience and why you believe working with them will benefit both of you.

Totally agree, just want to add that it's ok to not totally understand everything that they do. Ask those questions from an informed position and try not to act like you do know everything about their research. I've found that in research PI are usually very understanding that you are new to the world and it is a big learning curve. Learn as much as you can, ask good questions and if you and the PI dont get along from there , then trust me it was a good thing you didnt get the job!
Research is 25% impact/area of interest and 75% fit with the team for a good experience.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with what everyone else has said. To add, I think you should have some concrete examples of times that you've demonstrated:
1. Time Management
2. Critical Thinking
3. Success in managing multiple tasks at once
4. Team Player

I find that in research, these are the most important skills to have because there's so much day-to-day stuff on top of the science and you really need to be able to get that out of the way to focus on your research.

In general, I would say just read up on the topics and issues that they are studying, and also the research going on at the institution in general and be able to talk about it in layman's terms. No one expects you to be an expert but it shows that you've come prepared and are interested. Also this goes without saying but be super nice to everyone. I feel like 80% of my job is sending emails and working with others and I find that dealing with someone who has a less than friendly personality can really throw off your groove.

Reactions: 1 user

I second what everyone else has already said, but I would also familiarize yourself with health disparities research as that seems to be the area that the PI is contributing to. Having a little understanding of that area of research and why it's important will go a long way if you just get to talking. I've done some health disparities research myself and had mentors that did, and that group of individuals tend to care personally about their work for whatever reason, so it might leave a good impression for you to know why the health of different groups is important.

That being said, they know you know next to nothing (depending on your educational level or experience) so they shouldn't grill you too much. They just want to know if you'll be able to understand the science behind what they do, follow orders, and not annoy anyone else too much in the lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I got the position!!

Reactions: 5 users