Tips for meeting with pre-med admissions counselor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali_NP_to_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a meeting on Wednesday with an admissions counselor at one of the med schools I'm interested in applying to in the future (next cycle or the year after, TBD). It's my first in-person interaction with an admissions counselor for med school. I have no idea what to expect. I need some opinions:
1) Should I approach this as a casual meeting or more formal (ie. professional attire, etc.) - It might be worth mentioning that I'll be driving straight from work (NP job) in LA traffic and I will have limited (if any) time to change out of my scrubs/do hair/makeup/etc.
2) I have a list of questions I plan to ask, but what are some important questions you guys would recommend asking?
3) Besides transcripts, my list of questions, and resume (?) is there anything else I should bring with me?
4) Is this an important interpersonal connection to make in terms of my future application? Do applications tend to ask anything along the lines of "Have you met with an advisor from our school"?
5) Should I schedule a follow-up meeting in a few months to discuss my progress? Or is this annoying/too eager?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I highly doubt that your attire will make an impact one way or another but I would wear professional attire. If nothing else, it shows that you're taking this person's time seriously.

3. Bring something to take notes with. Taking notes during a meeting/interview demonstrates interest and being coachable. Additionally, be prepared to answer any questions the counselor might have.

5. During your meeting, you can ask the counselor if you can follow up regarding progress later on. I don't think this is necessary you will either have made progress or not.

Just a general thing, make sure you send a follow up "thank you" email later that day or the next day. It may seem silly/strange but it makes a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a meeting on Wednesday with an admissions counselor at one of the med schools I'm interested in applying to in the future (next cycle or the year after, TBD). It's my first in-person interaction with an admissions counselor for med school. I have no idea what to expect. I need some opinions:
1) Should I approach this as a casual meeting or more formal (ie. professional attire, etc.) - It might be worth mentioning that I'll be driving straight from work (NP job) in LA traffic and I will have limited (if any) time to change out of my scrubs/do hair/makeup/etc.
2) I have a list of questions I plan to ask, but what are some important questions you guys would recommend asking?
3) Besides transcripts, my list of questions, and resume (?) is there anything else I should bring with me?
4) Is this an important interpersonal connection to make in terms of my future application? Do applications tend to ask anything along the lines of "Have you met with an advisor from our school"?
5) Should I schedule a follow-up meeting in a few months to discuss my progress? Or is this annoying/too eager?

Those were the days. I have nothing but fond memories of my doing exactly what you are about to do. Have fun. When you become a MD, you will relish your journey more so

1. Professional. Dress to impress. They will not forget you if you look frumpy or like you are doing an after work drive by visit. They are making time for you. Do likewise if you are serious.
2. Open ended questions, ones tailored to their SOM mission statement, names of faculty who you should meet, etc
3. Great energy, enthusiasm and a can-do tude
4. You are an NP. You know how interpersonal skills make or break a meeting.
5. Kill them with kindness to the point where they would love to see you again

Im a bit jealous because looking back, those were truly fun, spontaneous, exciting days. Let us know how it went!

cheers

Reactions: 1 users