Tips for Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyborgNinjaX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really bad at reading comprehension on standardized tests. I am extremely worried about the one on the DAT. I was wondering what I can do to ensure that my reading comprehension score is better if possible.

What I have done in the past is to read through the passage in its entirety but that takes too long. I have tried to read the questions then look at the passage but then the thing is that I scramble around WAAY too much.

HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

CyborgNinjaX said:
I am really bad at reading comprehension on standardized tests. I am extremely worried about the one on the DAT. I was wondering what I can do to ensure that my reading comprehension score is better if possible.

What I have done in the past is to read through the passage in its entirety but that takes too long. I have tried to read the questions then look at the passage but then the thing is that I scramble around WAAY too much.

HELP!

To do well on the reading section, you should not read the paragraphs in depth too much, but skim through each paragraph and find any words that stand out, dates, names of people, etc. and write them down i.e. (P1 Louis Pasteur, Staphylococcus aureus, 1918), etc. Do this for each paragraph. When you go to answer the questions, you should have an idea of which paragraph each question is coming from and you can refer back to that paragraph for the answer. This may sound confusing, but with some practice, reading comprehension will become much easier. Hope this helps!