1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Tips for Reading Comprehension

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by CyborgNinjaX, Jul 17, 2006.

1. CyborgNinjaX

CyborgNinjaX Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am really bad at reading comprehension on standardized tests. I am extremely worried about the one on the DAT. I was wondering what I can do to ensure that my reading comprehension score is better if possible.

What I have done in the past is to read through the passage in its entirety but that takes too long. I have tried to read the questions then look at the passage but then the thing is that I scramble around WAAY too much.

HELP!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PSUforever

PSUforever Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    To do well on the reading section, you should not read the paragraphs in depth too much, but skim through each paragraph and find any words that stand out, dates, names of people, etc. and write them down i.e. (P1 Louis Pasteur, Staphylococcus aureus, 1918), etc. Do this for each paragraph. When you go to answer the questions, you should have an idea of which paragraph each question is coming from and you can refer back to that paragraph for the answer. This may sound confusing, but with some practice, reading comprehension will become much easier. Hope this helps!

4. dcare4all

Pre-Dental
    *** please ignore. I meant to create a new post...