Tips for Securing a job as a new grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the end of my CA2 year is approaching and I am starting to look aggressively for jobs. I am in a large southern city and would like to stay and work at one of the hospitals in the 'burbs. I actually start an elective rotation at my hospital of choice at the end of this month, but I don't know how to tactfully approach them that I want to work there. I have heard through other connections that they have 3 locums guys that they are looking to consolidate to one long term permanent spot. These 3 guys have been locums there for >3 years. I am hard working, easygoing/adaptable and generally well liked at my program, which is a well known program in my state and region. What are some things that you would want otherwise out of a new grad looking to join your practice? Do yall have any tips on how I should begin discussions with the group? I planned on starting the discussion maybe in my last week of my month long rotation there at the end of the month but wasn't sure if that was best.

There are three other hospitals in the area that are also quietly hiring. They are all smaller groups that have been together for a pretty long time. One of them is a pseudo trauma center that I have repeatedly been told to avoid. The other is highly seeking a regional fellowship trained person, and has been for >1 year, but hasn't found anyone yet. My regional training is strong in residency and I have no desire to spend another year getting better at what i'm already good/fast at. Because of my spouse's job I am quite limited geographically. I want to work hard and be exposed to a little bit of everything (except transplant, I got enough of that in residency and I don't want an academic job) out of residency.

Members don't see this ad.

"hey are y'all hiring?"

The amount of twang and drawl in the "y'all" is what will determine whether or not they will hire you. Good luck!

In all seriousness if you're competent and likable they should be begging you to stay instead. Also the 3 locums guy long term seems like a red flag. I would still do some due diligence on the groups that you're told to stay away.

Reactions: 11 users
"hey are y'all hiring?"

The amount of twang and drawl in the "y'all" is what will determine whether or not they will hire you. Good luck!

In all seriousness if you're competent and likable they should be begging you to stay instead. Also the 3 locums guy long term seems like a red flag. I would still do some due diligence on the groups that you're told to stay away.

I really appreciate the input. One of the locums is cousins with my attending/mentor. He said that the locums guys all started within 3 months of each other and are at the end of their career. None planned to stay longer than a year but they have all enjoyed working there and stayed. They are late enough in their career that they enjoy the freedom with locums and don't want to be tied down. I'm expecting that 2 of the 3 will just retire if their contracts aren't renewed if a permanent position is created.

We have the occasional resident from my program do this elective rotation, and all of them love this hospital. Almost no one from my program is actually from this city, but they have all told me if they planned on staying in this area to practice they would sign a contract with that hospital immediately.

I'm going to look into the trauma place I was told to stay away from. I was told this by two attendings that used to work there. Both lasted less than a year. Both independently told me that the culture was atrocious and their practices/standards are way out of date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you look into a place that multiple people told you to stay away from?

You don't need a regional fellowship. If you have had good regional training in residency you can pick up basically anything, especially if you have great partners.

Why would you look into a place that multiple people told you to stay away from?

Because in my area I essentially have 2 or 3 real options. While it's definitely not my first or second choice I should at least keep my options open at this time. And I agree on the fellowship. But that place appears to not be budging. From what I hear, their ortho volume isn't even that high.

Because in my area I essentially have 2 or 3 real options. While it's definitely not my first or second choice I should at least keep my options open at this time. And I agree on the fellowship. But that place appears to not be budging. From what I hear, their ortho volume isn't even that high.

It’s a double edged sword. If you looked and interviewed then reject them, your chance of going back may not be great, especially you’re really bound geographically. Some of the most malignant places have the most face to save.

If you only have 2 or 3 options maybe time to look little further and have more options....

Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate the input. One of the locums is cousins with my attending/mentor. He said that the locums guys all started within 3 months of each other and are at the end of their career. None planned to stay longer than a year but they have all enjoyed working there and stayed. They are late enough in their career that they enjoy the freedom with locums and don't want to be tied down. I'm expecting that 2 of the 3 will just retire if their contracts aren't renewed if a permanent position is created.

We have the occasional resident from my program do this elective rotation, and all of them love this hospital. Almost no one from my program is actually from this city, but they have all told me if they planned on staying in this area to practice they would sign a contract with that hospital immediately.

I'm going to look into the trauma place I was told to stay away from. I was told this by two attendings that used to work there. Both lasted less than a year. Both independently told me that the culture was atrocious and their practices/standards are way out of date.

Sounds like you did enough due diligence. Keep in mind there are things beyond your control: local market forces, surgeons leaving, etc. The next big thing that might help is have anyone willing to vouch for you make a call. Your residency should have enough attendings with connections to this practice if you are so close.

Best of luck!

The job market is pretty okay right now. I would take advantage of it if you can and don't stick with garbage if you don't have to. Don't get stuck with a poor work environment and be unhappy for 30 years just to pull a paycheck if you don't have to.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone had any success with reaching out to a recruiter with a dedicated email address? Maybe there are other options in my area that I just don't know about.

Has anyone had any success with reaching out to a recruiter with a dedicated email address? Maybe there are other options in my area that I just don't know about.
In my job hunt I created a dedicated email address AND a google voice number. And boy oh boy am I glad I did. Once those things get out there... things don't stop.

In my job hunt I created a dedicated email address AND a google voice number. And boy oh boy am I glad I did. Once those things get out there... things don't stop.
How did you find recruiters to reach out to?

for your job of interest just show up and work hard everyday. Stay quiet but pleasant and do what’s asked of you. Find out who the president is or who the people are in charge. On your last week there state your interest in working there and ask if you could apply. Have some reccs lined up that will vouch for you.

if you are interested in finding/looking at other practices then your best resource will likely be recent grads. Ask around and get in touch w them if desired. I’m sure they’ll help you if they can.

These guys will take a 5 figure cut from you. Do you think it's worth tens of thousands of dollars to look on google maps for hospitals in your general area and asking for the anesthesiologist in charge?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These guys will take a 5 figure cut from you. Do you think it's worth tens of thousands of dollars to look on google maps for hospitals in your general area and asking for the anesthesiologist in charge?

I don't think that's worth it, no. You probably won't be surprised to hear that these aren't really things that are commonly taught in residency these days. Especially in the age where everyone is doing a fellowship. I am the lone person in my class entering private practice after residency.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I really appreciate it.

I don't think that's worth it, no. You probably won't be surprised to hear that these aren't really things that are commonly taught in residency these days. Especially in the age where everyone is doing a fellowship. I am the lone person in my class entering private practice after residency.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I really appreciate it.

Just cold call everyone you can find on google maps. There's a website that has a list of hospitals but I've forgotten what it is.

Op, location, money, lifestyle.

If you already have one factor fixed, which makes the job hunting easier. If you want to stay in the city where you are, then, by all means look within the city, the suburb of the city. Draw a circle, let’s say 20 miles of where you want to be, and see which hospitals are there, and start calling. Recruiters do the same thing, they may just cold call for you, so potentially save you some time. But as a ca3, you “should” have all the time in the world to do some homework and your time, quite frankly isn’t worth a whole lot right now. Look on the hospital website, you may actually find a few people that you may already know.

Recruiters have their places, if you are moving to a new city you have no connections, you’re too busy, or you really have don’t know where to start. You’re ahead of the curve already by start planning now. (There are more dedicated agents or agencies that would charge you 6-10% of your first year salary).

Last word of advice, most people’s first job won’t be their last. There are very few prefect first job......

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Op, location, money, lifestyle.

If you already have one factor fixed, which makes the job hunting easier. If you want to stay in the city where you are, then, by all means look within the city, the suburb of the city. Draw a circle, let’s say 20 miles of where you want to be, and see which hospitals are there, and start calling. Recruiters do the same thing, they may just cold call for you, so potentially save you some time. But as a ca3, you “should” have all the time in the world to do some homework and your time, quite frankly isn’t worth a whole lot right now. Look on the hospital website, you may actually find a few people that you may already know.

Recruiters have their places, if you are moving to a new city you have no connections, you’re too busy, or you really have don’t know where to start. You’re ahead of the curve already by start planning now. (There are more dedicated agents or agencies that would charge you 6-10% of your first year salary).

Last word of advice, most people’s first job won’t be their last. There are very few prefect first job......

Good luck.

The only caveat is that some groups will not work with a recruiter and will not talk to anybody presented by a recruiter.

I went through this recently. I’m a first year attending. Def put your best foot forward for the upcoming rotation. If it comes up in casual conversation, make your interest in joining clear and ask who would be the best person to talk to. If it doesn’t come up by the last week, then chat with the attending in charge of the rotation about your interest and how to proceed.

In residency I asked every attending I worked with at my home site, if they had any connections in the area I wanted to end up. They would make the introduction via text or call and I would follow up. This is how I ended up getting my job. Cold calling & gas works also produced interviews... it gets tough once you start getting interviews to predict when the offers will come though. It is a fun and exciting time! Good luck

The only caveat is that some groups will not work with a recruiter and will not talk to anybody presented by a recruiter.

True that. And a lot of times the recruiters actually never get to the hiring partners. Our admins basically just give them the run arounds.

When you say I am doctor IMGASMD and looking for Dr. President or Dr. HiringLeader. Can still open doors.

True that. And a lot of times the recruiters actually never get to the hiring partners. Our admins basically just give them the run arounds.

When you say I am doctor IMGASMD and looking for Dr. President or Dr. HiringLeader. Can still open doors.
Instead of giving them the runaround, why not just tell them directly that you do not deal with recruiters. The recruiters are just trying to etch out a living and a lot of new grads don't have a clue or connections. Why waste people's time? Just to **** with them for ****s and giggles?

Instead of giving them the runaround, why not just tell them directly that you do not deal with recruiters. The recruiters are just trying to etch out a living and a lot of new grads don't have a clue or connections. Why waste people's time? Just to **** with them for ****s and giggles?

I didn’t make the rules. I guess this what happened in the past. I don’t even think it’s a explicit directives from the hiring partners, it was more of the admins experiences when she passed the information to the hiring partners.

The preconceived notion of someone who needs to use a recruiters, there is some blemish somewhere along the line probably is in play here too.

May not be the answers/explanations you wanted. But my point still stands, if op wants a job enough, he/she/they should consider do the leg work hirself.

“Etch out a living” should really mean “leech off your earnings”. They’re not salaried people; they’re telemarketers who are skimming off the top and contributing to unnecessary expenditure. With that said, wasting their time is likely wasting lead time they could use on other potential physicians, making their ROI low. Do that enough, and they will soon become unprofitable.

“Etch out a living” should really mean “leech off your earnings”. They’re not salaried people; they’re telemarketers who are skimming off the top and contributing to unnecessary expenditure. With that said, wasting their time is likely wasting lead time they could use on other potential physicians, making their ROI low. Do that enough, and they will soon become unprofitable.
I can’t stand half of them and I am a locums. However, no need to give people the runaround. Be direct and let everyone move on.

As a recent grad, I have found recruiters completely useless. Cold calling/emailing a place is way more likely to yield results.