Tips for success!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissCutie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting an SMP in 3 weeks and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on how I can do well in the program. Any study tips that work well for people? This is my last chance, and I really dont want to screw it up!

Members don't see this ad.

MissCutie said:
I'm starting an SMP in 3 weeks and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on how I can do well in the program. Any study tips that work well for people? This is my last chance, and I really dont want to screw it up!
Find your optimal study time frame i.e. that vital four-hour block of the day in which you learn best, be it morning or evening. Myself, I'm morning. So I get up at 6:00 AM and wash my face and am at my desk within a half hour. For the next 4 hours, my concentration is undivided. I make rhetorical questions for myself as I go through whatever text I'm studying. This makes it more fun and makes the material my own. YOU MUST MAKE THE MATERIAL YOUR OWN i.e. you should, after about three days of overlapping study of the same material with new, peripherally-related information, be able to explain any and all aspects of the topic to a total layperson in your own words. For test-taking time, which is what is most important, give yourself like three weeks in advance for a typical midterm. Pace the study so you KNOW EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to know, and from SEVERAL DIFFERENT ANGLES/ASPECTS. The only way to do this is to find the optimal time-of-day-block I mentioned and stick to it.

MissCutie said:

An important thing is repetion as well. On Day -1 (day before lecture) read through the syllabus and go through the powerpoint. On Day 0 (day of the lecture) go to class and absorb what is being taught. If you are already aware of the topic, it will enable you to stop taking notes on points that are already mentioned and take notes on things the professor has shown to you in a new light. Spend time with a book if necessary to clear things up further. On Day +1 (day after lecture) go through the syllabus again, writing up an outline or notes in the margin, or whatever works for you.

Make sure to look at the material in a different way each time. Definitely stay on top of the material. Never say, "I'll just do this on the weekend," because you will not. Tests come fast and furious in an SMP/medical school and you will not be able to carve out a huge chunk of time just to study for the exam. The only way to do it is to stay on top of the material. Also, don't be too quick out of the gate, an SMP requires stamina, it is a marathon. Pace yourself.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
jklasser17 said:
An important thing is repetion as well. On Day -1 (day before lecture) read through the syllabus and go through the powerpoint. On Day 0 (day of the lecture) go to class and absorb what is being taught. If you are already aware of the topic, it will enable you to stop taking notes on points that are already mentioned and take notes on things the professor has shown to you in a new light. Spend time with a book if necessary to clear things up further. On Day +1 (day after lecture) go through the syllabus again, writing up an outline or notes in the margin, or whatever works for you.

Make sure to look at the material in a different way each time. Definitely stay on top of the material. Never say, "I'll just do this on the weekend," because you will not. Tests come fast and furious in an SMP/medical school and you will not be able to carve out a huge chunk of time just to study for the exam. The only way to do it is to stay on top of the material. Also, don't be too quick out of the gate, an SMP requires stamina, it is a marathon. Pace yourself.

Good luck!

I noticed both you and the previous poster mention looking at the material at different angles or in a new way. Could either of you clarify that? I can't really see learning the Kreb's cycle 6 different ways. Are the exams (at BU anyways) more straight forward (i.e. how much atp is produced..etc) or do they give you a more hypothetical situation where you need to really creatively apply what you know?

Thanks for the tips so far and to the OP for posting this. :thumbup:

Lbgem said:
I noticed both you and the previous poster mention looking at the material at different angles or in a new way. Could either of you clarify that? I can't really see learning the Kreb's cycle 6 different ways. Are the exams (at BU anyways) more straight forward (i.e. how much atp is produced..etc) or do they give you a more hypothetical situation where you need to really creatively apply what you know?

Thanks for the tips so far and to the OP for posting this. :thumbup:

I really appreciate that you guys responded! I too am wondering about what you mean by different angles. Do you mean different ways of explaining things? For example, different texts will explain a concept differently, so it's good to be able to find ways to explain them differently? Speaking of different textbooks, do you ever benefit from using supplementary texts?

Thank you again for the responses!

MissCutie said:
I really appreciate that you guys responded! I too am wondering about what you mean by different angles. Do you mean different ways of explaining things? For example, different texts will explain a concept differently, so it's good to be able to find ways to explain them differently? Speaking of different textbooks, do you ever benefit from using supplementary texts?

Thank you again for the responses!

A test will never just ask you to memorize the syllabus. You must be able to apply the concepts and salient points in the syllabus to the question at hand.

I often will you use some supplementary materials in order to gather what the main topics are for the course. The teacher will typically have a list of what has worked for other students in the Intro portion of the syllabus. For example, for histology there is a great website from the Univ of Western Australia that quizzes you on histology questions. I find it to be a great way of testing my histo knowledge; especially, because it is not like looking at my slides over and over again. It may be a different cut, a different stain, etc..., so it helps to see the same thing in a different way. You could just memorize your slide, but that would not help you on the exam; you need to be able to apply the key indicators to help draw a conclusion.

Most of the reviw books are pretty good, such as the Board Review Series, (and something else I cannot remember right now but am sure someone can tell you). They are a good way to highlight the key topics again and rejuvenate the old memory. Studying with others is also helpful as they may see a concept in a totally different light and help increase your knowledge.

Good luck!

If you need other people to give you study tips at this level of education you should go into nursing.

Sundarban1 said:
If you need other people to give you study tips at this level of education you should go into nursing.

The title says TIPS FOR SUCCESS. not "teach me how to study". It like advice how to maximize your study. MS2's tell MS1's advice on how to get the grades its no different. Chill man, it seems you need a puppy.

mochief2000 said:
The title says TIPS FOR SUCCESS. not "teach me how to study". It like advice how to maximize your study. MS2's tell MS1's advice on how to get the grades its no different. Chill man, it seems you need a puppy.

Unfortunately, he does have a point man. At this point in the game, if nothing is working, something must be wrong.

Sundarban1 said:

For me it's not so much getting advice on HOW to study as much as thoughts/experiences from the people that have been in the program and in my position. Everyone has their own method of note cards, study times, etc., but difficulty of classes, type of exams, recommended texts aren't things you're going to know before taking the class.

Almost everyone going into these academic enhancer post-bacs has something wrong with their GPA or would like to improve it. For me, this seems like my last chance to get it right, so if I'm being overly paranoid about doing my very best in the program that's why.

Each class is structured in a different way—some require you to know every detail, some to read the book/concentrate on lectures/etc, others the overall concept, some to absorb the information and be able to evaluate a situation based on knowing that information, etc.

Therefore, I think Misscutie and others (like myself) would just like to get the heads up on how we should go about studying for the classes in the program. It sucks to go in the program/class blind and then realize how to study for it after not doing so well on the first exam.

Also…just like one of you mentioned…postbaccs/masters are enhancer programs…so for some…though they just might have tried as an undergrad…they might not have had proper study habits or know the proper study tactics to excel. But now they want to change all that and start off on the right foot…and if that means asking how to study the right way—I commend them for asking. I think this is a valid thread on this forum.

Sundarban1 said:

Did someone not get enough hugs when they were younger? You shouldn't bash the nursing profession so easily. An appreciation for them should serve you well in the future.

Subdarban you should not be so quick to criticize. The SMPs are difficult. Many are the same as the first year of med school and others are close.Any tips from people who have gone through them should not be taken with a grain of salt. Perhaps if you listen, you could change that 'pre-med' to just 'med' but then again you joined in '04 so either you have way too much time on your hands or you just can't cut it and feel the need to cut others down.

Instatewaiter said:
Subdarban you should not be so quick to criticize. The SMPs are difficult. Many are the same as the first year of med school and others are close.Any tips from people who have gone through them should not be taken with a grain of salt. Perhaps if you listen, you could change that 'pre-med' to just 'med' but then again you joined in '04 so either you have way too much time on your hands or you just can't cut it and feel the need to cut others down.

Thanks a bunch for all of the insights everyone. And thanks to the rest of you for sticking up for me and the rest of us med school rejects ;-). No need to worry too much about Subdarban though. Come on now... He has over 1000+ posts. Most of us (hopefully) have better things to do with our time than sit around on SDN and insult people. Makes for a good laugh though, I suppose. Anyway, good luck to everyone, even you Subdarban! ;-) And if any of you have any more insights, please do share!