Tips on getting into UW Madison?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaliVera

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, a freshman Madison student trying to get the prereqs done so I can apply next year. My biggest concerns are GPA, mine is below the 3.5/6 average at 3.3, though this semester looks better; the next biggest concern is experience and letters of recommendation, I haven't really built a relationship with any of my professors and feel like just asking them would result in a hollow letter.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a student at Madison, but i got accepted into Madison. I went to a pretty big school for undergraduate tho. I can tell you how i got my letters. One is from my micro. bio professor (I went to her office hour). Another one is from my research professor (chemistry ). the third one is from my Asian study professor ( took 3 classes with him) ... Madison and my undergraduate are pretty well known schools, so don't worry too much about your GPA, I got in Madison with a 3.3.

Currently, a freshman Madison student trying to get the prereqs done so I can apply next year. My biggest concerns are GPA, mine is below the 3.5/6 average at 3.3, though this semester looks better; the next biggest concern is experience and letters of recommendation, I haven't really built a relationship with any of my professors and feel like just asking them would result in a hollow letter.
Hey @KaliVera - is this your GPA from your first semester of college? If so, your GPA is still pretty flexible - if you achieve a 4.0 this semester, that would bring your GPA up to ~3.65, and you can continue to improve it as a sophomore. Pharmacy programs also look at science GPA, so try to do as best you can in those classes.

The letters of rec and experience requirements fit nicely together as you can hit two birds with one stone. Pharmacy experience (as a tech or volunteer) is valued by pharmacy programs, and your supervisor(s) would be a great person to ask for a letter. Have you thought about working as a pharmacy tech, in a pharmacology lab, or in a clinical volunteer capacity?

You may also find opportunities on campus to get to know faculty in leadership positions, clubs, research projects, smaller classes, advising, etc. at your university, and those could also potentially serve as references.