Tips on Reading Science Passages and Test Taking Skills

Started by wheelin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wheelin

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am writing on Sept. 3rd and I just finished the AAMC FL and OG questions.

AAMC FL (Aug 18)
66% Chem/Phys
85% CARS
76% Bio/Biochem
90% Psych/Sosc

*I expected cars and p/s to be my better sections, still working through khan videos as my review for p/s and reviewing ek notes and supplementing with kaplan for physics/chem/bio/biochem review.

AAMC OG (Aug 21)
73% Chem/Phys
80% CARS
80% Bio/Biochem
80% Psych/Sosc

*I was not confident in bio/biochem, thought I did better in chem/phys than bio/biochem but results were different. Felt I did better in cars and p/s than results.

I plan on working through the Question Packs, doing a few more FLs for practicing the length and timing plus more targeted content review. I generally finish P/S with 10+ mins, CARS with 5+ mins and the other two sections just in time.

I find that the science passages--especially the bio/biochem ones tend to disorient me at times and basically I'm wondering what tips experienced test takers who have done well have for reading the passages more efficiently and getting a better grasp of things so I can get more questions correct.

I know practice is key, but what else has helped you? Is there anything in the way that you approach passages, etc.?

Thanks!