Tips on remembering appropriate antibiotic Tx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistiza

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just winding down studying before taking this monster of a test (in terms of subject matter). I'm having trouble keeping straight all of the standard antibiotic regimens.

Anyone have a good strategy for remembering these things? If not, there is that one page in First Aid which looks helpful. Or.. going into a Sanford's to try and figure it out.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

the way i did it was kind of like mental flashcards. or you can make actual flashcards. first you have to look up the info though, like on the john hopkins or sanford's guide. write it down on a cheat sheet. then on a different piece of paper, write the scenario and try to write down the initial abx off the top of your head. keep repeating this process a few times and you'll remember it better. or use real flashcards. but the trick is, some of the vignettes have certain issues, such as allergies or pregnancy or pediatrics, then you'd have to remember what the alternatives are :( some vignettes also ask about prophylaxis to close contacts or exposure. there is bound to be a question about a PPD result and whether it counts as a positive reaction depending on the patient's history, like an immigrant or something like that. for the CCS, i'm not sure how specific they want things. mine were fairly straighforward. if i didn't know the specific regimen, i just used broad spectrum abx that should cover the ddx.

Last edited: