Tired of reading that pharmacists "don't make much money"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's much easier and cheaper for men. Us women have to worry about the whole look...shoes, accessories, hair, makeup. Plus, different styles and brands fit differently. Not to mention matching blouses to skirts, slacks, suits, etc. It gets very expensive. I've spent thousands on clothes alone.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I agree with part of your statement and disagree with the other. It is definitely easier or more simple, but I don't know about cheaper. When a man dresses in cheap stuff, ie. suits, dress, shirts, slacks, shoes, you can tell. They look cheap and sloppy. You have to throw down some fairly serious cash for everything to really fit well and sit well.
My wife can hit up Marshalls and buy a $20 dress and rock it like it was a $300 dress with some nice shoes and some fake bling.

Now, with that being said, I man can have one really nice suit and just change the shirt and tie and it is like a whole other "outfit" (yes I said outfit, about as manlike as possible)

If a man is dressed professionly and is rocking a cheap watch and cheap shoes, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with part of your statement and disagree with the other. It is definitely easier or more simple, but I don't know about cheaper. When a man dresses in cheap stuff, ie. suits, dress, shirts, slacks, shoes, you can tell. They look cheap and sloppy. You have to throw down some fairly serious cash for everything to really fit well and sit well.
My wife can hit up Marshalls and buy a $20 dress and rock it like it was a $300 dress with some nice shoes and some fake bling.

Now, with that being said, I man can have one really nice suit and just change the shirt and tie and it is like a whole other "outfit" (yes I said outfit, about as manlike as possible)

If a man is dressed professionly and is rocking a cheap watch and cheap shoes, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I agree. I look good in anything! haha..j/p

But yeah, for women some of us can look good in anything so we can shop anywhere. I have dresses from $20 to several hundred dollars and they all look great.

Men clothes are expensive. I shop at Lacoste a few times for guys and I always end up spending a TON in there.

You argument is a good one; however, when you buy something at Marshall's, generally, it is of less quality. I pay for quality for a number of reasons with reason number one being life of the garment. Cheap women's shoes also stand out...at least I notice it :smuggrin:

I agree. I look good in anything! haha..j/p

But yeah, for women some of us can look good in anything so we can shop anywhere. I have dresses from $20 to several hundred dollars and they all look great.

Men clothes are expensive. I shop at Lacoste a few times for guys and I always end up spending a TON in there.

Like I said, I am careful about buying anything "cheap" from Ross/Marshall's. I find some great items there on occasion. Unfortunately, I have a thin build- long legs, llong arms, no hips, a bit busty, and broad shoulders for a girl. Guys jeans and pants fit me well. I have a hard time with dresses because I need the top bigger and the waist/butt smaller and that's hard unless I buy the bigger size and get it taken in (that's expensive too).

For shoes: I am flat footed so I need comfy shoes or I will be crying by the end of the day (not really, but still, it hurts!)

I agree that there is a clearer definition of "professional" for men but that makes shopping much easier, IMO. Slacks, nice shirt, jacket... you don't have to color coordinate as much. I can spend an entire day at the mall and only come out with a couple of outfits and no shoes or vice versa. Time is money! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said, I am careful about buying anything "cheap" from Ross/Marshall's. I find some great items there on occasion. Unfortunately, I have a thin build- long legs, llong arms, no hips, a bit busty, and broad shoulders for a girl. Guys jeans and pants fit me well. I have a hard time with dresses because I need the top bigger and the waist/butt smaller and that's hard unless I buy the bigger size and get it taken in (that's expensive too).

For shoes: I am flat footed so I need comfy shoes or I will be crying by the end of the day (not really, but still, it hurts!)

I agree that there is a clearer definition of "professional" for men but that makes shopping much easier, IMO. Slacks, nice shirt, jacket... you don't have to color coordinate as much. I can spend an entire day at the mall and only come out with a couple of outfits and no shoes or vice versa. Time is money! :smuggrin:

You are also right! For men buying clothes is MUCH easier and they do not have to worry about color coordinating as much etc. For women it takes much more time to find something and we have to pick and choose more.

However, overall I think men have to spend more money on clothes b/c clothes for men are generally much more expensive. I have bought clothes for men before and it always cost a lot of money.

You are also right! For men buying clothes is MUCH easier and they do not have to worry about color coordinating as much etc. For women it takes much more time to find something and we have to pick and choose more.

However, overall I think men have to spend more money on clothes b/c clothes for men are generally much more expensive. I have bought clothes for men before and it always cost a lot of money.

Did you buy their clothes at Bebe, too? :smuggrin:

I thought clothes shopping was easy. Then I realised I dress like a high school chemistry teacher.

Did you buy their clothes at Bebe, too? :smuggrin:

I thought clothes shopping was easy. Then I realised I dress like a high school chemistry teacher.

Haha...Nah, Bebe is FOR ME! :p

Men's clothes I usually go to Lacoste, Express, or Abercrombie. Men have it easier in picking out clothes but their clothes are very expensive. I haven't really seen any cheap men's clothes anywhere. Lacoste is proberly the best men's clothing store I would go there to buy clothes if I had a boyfriend. haha...

Wow, this topic got derailed badly. I guess I'll semicontribute. I think its definitely easier for us guys. Most guys don't give a lick about how they look unless its special occasions. One good suit, shirt, tie and shoes is all we need. The rest of the wardrobe can be 20$ shirt and pants with casual shoes. I can't speak for the more metrosexual men and/or muscle heads though.

Wow, this topic got derailed badly. I guess I'll semicontribute. I think its definitely easier for us guys. Most guys don't give a lick about how they look unless its special occasions. One good suit, shirt, tie and shoes is all we need. The rest of the wardrobe can be 20$ shirt and pants with casual shoes. I can't speak for the more metrosexual men and/or muscle heads though.

Lol, my wife buys all my cloths. She has a way higher fashion threshold than I do, ends up buying new cloths for me way before I feel the need. :D

72 after taxes? what type of 401k, retirement, dental, medical etc are you using for your wife and kids?

grossly high? have a child and you will think they are pretty accurate. babies are very expensive, diapers, food, rapidly changing clothing sizes

401k, retirement, dental, medical etc: These are not taxes and currently are all optional.

Federal Income Tax, State Income Tax, Social Security - These are things most people consider part of their "Taxes" although only the Federal and State really count.

For the record, Men's clothes are neither cheap nor easy to put together. If you are out of college and over the age of 25, people fully expect you to understand how to dress.

That means

2-3 Suits (if you wear them at least once per week) @ $200-$450 each with 1 replacement per year if you wear them often

2 pairs of dress shows ($100 each) 2 pairs of business casual shoes w/1-2 replacements each year

6-7 Dress Shirts @ $40-$100 each w/2-3 replacements each year

6-7 Ties @ $25-$50 each (If needed)

At least 1 watch you can't get at Macy's and costs more than $600.

And that's just to go to work each week.

Sure you can buy cheaper stuff, but when it comes to professional attire, cheaper stands out.

$600 for a watch? It will be a cold day in hell when I pay that much for a watch. :smuggrin:

Just another reason to love scrubs. If you are paying more than $50 for an outfit (shoes not included), you are doing it wrong. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
$600 for a watch? It will be a cold day in hell when I pay that much for a watch. :smuggrin:

Just another reason to love scrubs. If you are paying more than $50 for an outfit (shoes not included), you are doing it wrong. :thumbup:

You can always do what I did, hand-me down from my grandad. An expensive watch is an expensive watch regardless of how old it is;).

And regarding scrubs, I concur. I vote for scrubs to be the new business casual across all businesses.

I always wear Timex watches. They really do take a licking. I never have to baby it or take it off for any reason. People are usually distracted by my stunner engagement ring; no one would notice if I had a fancy watch (thanks, hubs!).

For the record, Men's clothes are neither cheap nor easy to put together. If you are out of college and over the age of 25, people fully expect you to understand how to dress.

That means

2-3 Suits (if you wear them at least once per week) @ $200-$450 each with 1 replacement per year if you wear them often

2 pairs of dress shows ($100 each) 2 pairs of business casual shoes w/1-2 replacements each year

Sure you can buy cheaper stuff, but when it comes to professional attire, cheaper stands out.
What pharmacists go to work in a suit? Unless you're in upper management or industry or something like that, it seems unlikely.

Ties are sort of like rabbits, if you don't pay close attention, they'll multiply rapidly. You can almost always count on one as a gift, so there's a few right there. Then you go and buy a shirt that's a slightly different shade than your older shirt, and now that tie doesn't match, so you get another one. Repeat that from wearing shirt + tie since high school, and you've got about 40-50 ties without really meaning too.

It seems like very few people in my generation wear a watch, even just as an accessory. Those who do still check their cell phone for the time though :laugh:

I've really enjoyed reading the various perspectives presented in this thread.
As someone with very, very minimal debt, it's been really helpful to read the financial wisdom of some of the more experienced members.

I'm just glad I'm not in that crazy 57% tax bracket that you described. I didn't think it existed, but hey, you're the expert.:confused:
Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy the benefits of personal tax incentives that lower our AGI, and help reduce our annual tax burden, as well as subsidize the cost of things like....oh I don't know, school? Additionally, we'll take advantage of those incentives that subsidize the cost of technologies and products that provide benefits to us and society which may have otherwise been outside of the consumer reach. Electric vehicles included.
Additionally, while I'm no moderator, I would hope that you try to be a little more respectful and adult rather than calling people "butthurt".:thumbup:
Please re-read the thread; I never mentioned tax brackets, making the rest of your post irrelevant.
Furthermore, I would hope that you try to be a little more respectful and adult rather than mocking their arguments with allusions to crayons.
Furtherfurthermore, I actually had the opportunity to attend a presentation by a CPA at my college of pharmacy. Can you guess what one of the points he touched on was? that's right, he explained why tax incentives aren't a good idea. Of course claiming things that you must spend money on is a good idea. Buying a house, or an electric car in order to claim it on your taxes, however, is laughable.
Finally, my "pick one" post may have been a bit on the crass side, but it was in good nature (and quite funny, if I may say so myself)

[ ] TOLD
[ ] NOT TOLD
[✔] CALIFORNIA TOLD RUSH OF 1849

I
Furtherfurthermore, I actually had the opportunity to attend a presentation by a CPA at my college of pharmacy. Can you guess what one of the points he touched on was? that's right, he explained why tax incentives aren't a good idea.

In the hopes of mirroring your methods of sending pointless and attacking threads, here is my response:

"Wowza's! A real CPA? OMG! Did you get his autograph?":laugh:

Ties are sort of like rabbits, if you don't pay close attention, they'll multiply rapidly. You can almost always count on one as a gift, so there's a few right there.

I can always count on Grandma giving me plenty of sweaters, but you don't see me wearing those around. ;)

That means

6 pairs of shoes? That's it?????? lol see but you can wear the same suit more than once a week. If women wear the same outfit multiple times, someone will notice. but yeah, men's dress clothes are expensive...casual clothes maybe not so much.Am I right? Seems like your jeans are much cheaper than ours.

Movado is the minimum. You can spend 800 for a movado but you will have to replace the battery in a few year and thats a hassle. Movados are for working college kids.

I would probably get either an Omega, Baume, Rolex, or Breitling. Its something you can pass on to your kids, no battery change needed, and never deappreciates in value.

When buying it, dont be afraid to ask for discounts. Even in Tourneu, you can get up to 30 percent off the sales price just by bargaining.

6 pairs of shoes? That's it?????? lol see but you can wear the same suit more than once a week. If women wear the same outfit multiple times, someone will notice. but yeah, men's dress clothes are expensive...casual clothes maybe not so much.Am I right? Seems like your jeans are much cheaper than ours.

lol. You can wear the suits like that, but they will wear down quickly. You usually want to buy an extra set of slacks with each suit so that you don't have to replace the whole thing when the pants go.

I guess men could go with Levi 501's, but personally, I prefer brands like Diesel or 7's. They're more expensive, but I only have to buy 2 pairs every 4 or 5 years. Diesels go closer to $200.

If anyone here doesnt know about the store called "Ross" , i highly recommend checking it out. Mens dress shirts for $5 , $1 pairs of socks, Ties are usually something like 2/$5 . I stocked up on 4 years worth of pharmacy school dress clothes (minus pants) for around $30. Unless you are working in a corporate environment, you are NOT going to be judged by how expensive your clothes look. Seriously. Patients just want their medication and want to leave , and coworkers just care that you are pulling your weight and can help them when needed. Personally I feel very weird paying 10x more for a shirt or tie than I need to to get by.

When it comes to job interviews, I like to buy an expensive suit and then return it the day after. This is one case where "dress to impress" may have an actual impact on your life. Unlike doing day to day pharmacist duties, in which case nobody is going to give a ^#$ about how you look if you are getting the work done.

Just my experience, then again, i'm from the midwest and have never been out of the midwest, so maybe the whole culture is different elsewhere idk

If anyone here doesnt know about the store called "Ross" , i highly recommend checking it out. Mens dress shirts for $5 , $1 pairs of socks, Ties are usually something like 2/$5 . I stocked up on 4 years worth of pharmacy school dress clothes (minus pants) for around $30. Unless you are working in a corporate environment, you are NOT going to be judged by how expensive your clothes look. Seriously. Patients just want their medication and want to leave , and coworkers just care that you are pulling your weight and can help them when needed. Personally I feel very weird paying 10x more for a shirt or tie than I need to to get by.

When it comes to job interviews, I like to buy an expensive suit and then return it the day after. This is one case where "dress to impress" may have an actual impact on your life. Unlike doing day to day pharmacist duties, in which case nobody is going to give a ^#$ about how you look if you are getting the work done.

Just my experience, then again, i'm from the midwest and have never been out of the midwest, so maybe the whole culture is different elsewhere idk

I was gonna say, you must have never been to scottsdale ;)

To each there own. Low quality stands out like a sore thumb. Shop smart and it won't break the bank.

For you, I would recommend shopping for and buying 1-high quality suit. If you're buying a suit from somewhere that lets you return it, it's not a very good suit - or you're not getting it tailored. Buy 1, take care of it, and it'll last you 10 years and will fit like a glove.

Lacoste has mostly casual clothes for men and they are very expensive IMO.

Movado is the minimum. You can spend 800 for a movado but you will have to replace the battery in a few year and thats a hassle. Movados are for working college kids.

I would probably get either an Omega, Baume, Rolex, or Breitling. Its something you can pass on to your kids, no battery change needed, and never deappreciates in value.

When buying it, dont be afraid to ask for discounts. Even in Tourneu, you can get up to 30 percent off the sales price just by bargaining.

I like Movado watches the best, but yeah I know men spend a lot on watches too. Rolex and Louis Vuitton are the only expensive brands I heard of...not a big watch person.

Guess watches are actually the best for your money. They are cheap and they last forever.

You argument is a good one; however, when you buy something at Marshall's, generally, it is of less quality. I pay for quality for a number of reasons with reason number one being life of the garment. Cheap women's shoes also stand out...at least I notice it :smuggrin:

Lets be honest, are most women really concerned about the longevity of a dress? My wife has several Brand new dresses that are over 5 years old :p. I will agree that in shoes, cheap quality sticks out in both men's and women's shoes.

That means

Sure you can buy cheaper stuff, but when it comes to professional attire, cheaper stands out

Where are you getting a suit for only $200??? I think $450 should be you average everyday suit and then every man should own one really nice suit that fits like a glove.

I mostly agree with everything else you said, but you can buy a TAG at Macy's and it is not your average college kids watch.

Also, not that there is anything wrong with this because in a way we are all like this. We are all on the nerdy/dorky side a bit, but in general male pharmacists tend to dress as such. As a whole we don't seem to take pride in how we look. Pleated slacks and white sneakers.......seriously? Most Lady pharmacists dress sharp and are very stylish.

I know in the scheme of things it is not all that important and you don't need a $10,000 wardrobe for people to take you seriously, but some people just don't even care if their clothes fit correctly.

Ross Dress for Less, Target, and TJ Maxx.

Who the **** spends $100 for a shirt. Jesus H Christ people are stupid. Probably the same jackasses that think they need a $40,000 car. I feel pity for all of you.

Need to change thread title to "pharmacists waste too much money on clothes".

Who the **** spends $100 for a shirt. Jesus H Christ people are stupid. Probably the same jackasses that think they need a $40,000 car. I feel pity for all of you.

You can't get any professional clothing from those stores. I am starting rotations soon, so I'll have to spend thousands on professional clothing, but it's not by choice. I rather spend that money on dresses and shoes. LOL...

You can't get any professional clothing from those stores. I am starting rotations soon, so I'll have to spend thousands on professional clothing, but it's not by choice. I rather spend that money on dresses and shoes. LOL...

Oh come the **** on. I am a pharmacist. I did my rotations. I wore "3 for $60" Express for Men 1MX shirts and ties from Target. Are you serious? Not by choice? Keep livin' that debt dream. Trust me, no gives a ****. A nice ironed shirt form Target will look fine.

Bullpoop. I got a pinstripe Ralph Lauren suit for $120 at Ross's.

Oh come the **** on. I am a pharmacist. I did my rotations. I wore "3 for $60" Express for Men 1MX shirts and ties from Target. Are you serious? Not by choice? Keep livin' that debt dream. Trust me, no gives a ****. A nice ironed shirt form Target will look fine.

Hell...George brand from Walmart will do. They got ties, too. Like anyone gives a ****. It's a shirt...and a tie. Labcoat covers 80% of it. Slacks...whatever...if they fit and match the top, you're fine.

And the Target **** is actually rather nice...good stitching...thick material. JC Penney is an up and comer for me, too. Now that they've realized they can't survive as lower-high-end (whatever the hell that means), they are going after the Target market segment. You watch their business do better...

Where are you getting a suit for only $200??? I think $450 should be you average everyday suit and then every man should own one really nice suit that fits like a glove.

Stores like Mens Warehouse have a pretty decent stock of suits that go for $200-$450.

I wore "3 for $60" Express for Men 1MX shirts
How are you getting that price? Last I checked they are $60 each. Needless to say I don't shop there, so maybe something has changed since the last time I browsed.

I think it's a matter of preference and has little to do with intelligence or donkeyism.

Additionally, comparing clothes to cars is a flawed argument. Added cost for vehicles does not directly equate to added lifespan or ROI (see Jaguar). Whereas with clothes, I don't pay $100 to get the shirt with a spoiler on the back or heated leather elbowpads. Cost will generally correlate with quality and usable life expectancy. $100 pays for things like double stitching, higher quality material, better pre-treatment and of course, keeps you from looking like you shop exclusively at Ross Dress for Less.

Working college kid here sporting a movado :thumbup: Totally will be upgrading to an Omega when I graduate.

My cell Phone, work pager, and computer all have clocks on them. There are clocks in every single room of the hospital. I have never seen the need for a watch. Fashion and advertising tell you that you should have one...

I own a $50 fossil watch i never wear. my phone tells time very accurately.

I own a $50 fossil watch i never wear. my phone tells time very accurately.

$20 timex, i got you beat.

but i did replace the strap which fell off while i was driving.