title track (what are my chances)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impulse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here’s my deal: I graduated this May with a degree in one of the social sciences from an ivy. I happened to have taken some of the prereqs my freshman year and did some more this past year after deciding to pursue medicine. My overall gpa is a 3.4 and my bcpm is a 3.0 even (C in linear algebra, A in gen chem, 4 Bs and a couple more pass/fails). I did better my senior year than my freshman year. I am going to be doing an informal postbacc this year, probably at a nearby SUNY school. I need to take orgo and plan to take some extra bio to bring up my gpa. If I take 5 courses and get 4 As and a B my bcpm would be 3.36 to give an idea what it might look like when I’m done. I hope to get a solid MCAT score (but who doesn’t?). I have good nonmedical extracurriculars and recently started volunteering at a clinic with my family doctor. I plan to start shadowing and will look for research opportunities that I like.

Here are my questions: What are my chances of getting in assuming I do well this year? How do admission committees go about evaluating the mix of undergrad stuff and postbacc stuff and are there any rules of thumbs I might use to compare my statistics to traditional statistics?

Thanks all, any other advise or comments are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a grid with your statistical chances of gaining a US MD school acceptance depending on your cGAP and MCAT score: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm This data presumes your application is ideal in every way, that you applied broadly, and interview well. It includes people with modifying factors on their application.

I don't have similiar data for DO med schools (nor does the Pre-osteo Forum), but in general, with your cGPA and projected science GPA, and an MCAT score of 25+ you'd have a good chance.

Admissions committees for AMCAS schools will see your GPA and #hours (BCPM and AO-all other) broken down for each year of school, with a separate line for postbac work, then a cumulative undergrad GPA for each category, then a total GPA for everything. Your stats will be viewed exactly the same as someone who stayed for a fifth year of college and took the same classes.

If you work hard and get your GPA up a 3.36 you will increase your chances at a DO acceptance. With a stellar MCAT, 28+ I think you would have a good chance for an acceptance.

MD will be a little tough, with the median GPA average at 3.65, your GPA is a little too low. Although If you can possible destroy the MCAT, 34+ then you might have a chance at a low tier or state school.

It will be very important for you to get some EC related to the medical field, your volunteering at the clinic is a good start, but if you dont have patient interaction then I would look else where for more clinical volunteering, med schools will look heavier at clinical vs. plain volunteering. Also, trying to shadow a few doctors will be important.

For now I wouldnt try and get a research study as first priority, many students apply with no research and have fine chances of getting accepted. Work hard and try and get straight A's instead of that one B and you should be okay.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
If you work hard and get your GPA up a 3.36 you will increase your chances at a DO acceptance. With a stellar MCAT, 28+ I think you would have a good chance for an acceptance.

MD will be a little tough, with the median GPA average at 3.65, your GPA is a little too low. Although If you can possible destroy the MCAT, 34+ then you might have a chance at a low tier or state school.

It will be very important for you to get some EC related to the medical field, your volunteering at the clinic is a good start, but if you dont have patient interaction then I would look else where for more clinical volunteering, med schools will look heavier at clinical vs. plain volunteering. Also, trying to shadow a few doctors will be important.

For now I wouldnt try and get a research study as first priority, many students apply with no research and have fine chances of getting accepted. Work hard and try and get straight A's instead of that one B and you should be okay.

Best of luck

I don't think a 34+ would cut it for MD. That GPA just won't fly. I would seriously consider an SMP if your goal is MD. For DO though, continue postbac, and get a good MCAT of 28-30 as mentioned above.

Worse news: Including my courses from abroad (which show up as pass/fail on my transcript) my cGPA is 3.16 (an F really brings things down) rather than 3.4.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

with the way the economy is, being selective about a research opportunities is not possible. i think youd be hard pressed to land any kind of reasearch job at this point.

if an opportunity comes your way, id jump on it.

good luck!

with the way the economy is, being selective about a research opportunities is not possible. i think youd be hard pressed to land any kind of reasearch job at this point.

if an opportunity comes your way, id jump on it.

good luck!

Yeah. Many grants aren't being renewed at this time. I was doing summer research and our grant was preliminarily approved, but is now indefinitely delayed.

Yeah. Many grants aren't being renewed at this time. I was doing summer research and our grant was preliminarily approved, but is now indefinitely delayed.

Yup, horrible market out there. Take what you can get!