Titrations and Equivalence Points

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Another question - as test day approaches and my BP inches upwards.... (time to stimulate my ADHRH)

Anyway - is there an intuitive way of understanding equivalence and half-equivalence points? I understand the technical definition, but find it really hard to solve problems since I guess I don't really understand the concept. And when it comes to diprotic acids, I am often clueless.

Any tidbits would be welcomed

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
  1. Resident [Any Field]
TripleDegree said:
Another question - as test day approaches and my BP inches upwards.... (time to stimulate my ADHRH)

Anyway - is there an intuitive way of understanding equivalence and half-equivalence points? I understand the technical definition, but find it really hard to solve problems since I guess I don't really understand the concept. And when it comes to diprotic acids, I am often clueless.

Any tidbits would be welcomed

Think about the equiv. and 1/2 equiv. points in terms of what species of the biprotic acid are left.

1. H2A + H2O -> HA- + H3O
At the 1/2 point [H2A]=[HA-]
At the 1st eq point the solution is all HA- and you can use the pKa2 to find the pH but don't forget the change in volume when doing the calculations.

2. HA- + H2O -> A2- + H3O
Same thing applies here but us the pKb to find the pH at the endpoint.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.