TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Another question - as test day approaches and my BP inches upwards.... (time to stimulate my ADHRH)

Anyway - is there an intuitive way of understanding equivalence and half-equivalence points? I understand the technical definition, but find it really hard to solve problems since I guess I don't really understand the concept. And when it comes to diprotic acids, I am often clueless.

Any tidbits would be welcomed

XCanadianRagwee

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2002
Splashing around in the alternate pool
Status
those were fun...until some decides to spray the crap everywhere.

then the times of blowing crap up in cehmistry. Nothing like getting otu early and borrowing someone elses notes because I "accidently" let the pressure build up to much and cause a minor explosion.

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
TripleDegree said:
Another question - as test day approaches and my BP inches upwards.... (time to stimulate my ADHRH)

Anyway - is there an intuitive way of understanding equivalence and half-equivalence points? I understand the technical definition, but find it really hard to solve problems since I guess I don't really understand the concept. And when it comes to diprotic acids, I am often clueless.

Any tidbits would be welcomed

Think about the equiv. and 1/2 equiv. points in terms of what species of the biprotic acid are left.

1. H2A + H2O -> HA- + H3O
At the 1/2 point [H2A]=[HA-]
At the 1st eq point the solution is all HA- and you can use the pKa2 to find the pH but don't forget the change in volume when doing the calculations.

2. HA- + H2O -> A2- + H3O
Same thing applies here but us the pKb to find the pH at the endpoint.

About the Ads