****tmdsas 2013****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capitan2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy TMDSAS opening DAY!!!!! :eek:

If you have any questions during this cycle please post them!

I wish everybody the best of luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:oops:

Last edited:
Yes, for Texas residents applying to Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
wrong forum, so I duplicated - thanks though!

Last edited:
I apologize if this is easy info I'm missing. When I click "contact" on my TMDSAS app, it just gives me an error.

1. CLEP/AP courses: Do I put them under Freshman Fall term with "pre-Freshman" as the label, or is there a separate place for them?

2. GRE: I took this many moons ago (1997), and it says it's not valid/considerable if not in the last few years. Do I still have to enter my date (which isn't correct as I had to make up the day; only month/year is on the report)? I don't want a sin of omission!

3. Exchange Programs: I did a year in National Student Exchange. I was still in the US, just at a different university. Do I list the course type for all of those classes as "Study Abroad?" It doesn't seem very "abroad," but it wasn't at home.

4. Do schools really only want 2 letters? While it says you can submit a third, the implication is that it's frowned upon. Why is the option even there then?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

It shouldn't give you an error. When I first tried it I think the same thing happened to me. I tried on a different computer and it worked.

1. Yes I would put CLEP/AP courses under prefreshman. I put about 37 DC hours under prefreshman because I took them at a community college before I started my BS at A&M. I am not sure if I need to change it.

2. I would enter the date (month and year) you took the exam even if it was in 1997. What do you mean you did a make up?

3. I don't see why not.

4. I would definitely go for 3! You don't want anybody frowning at your application. I'm sure they just make that an options for students who may not otherwise be able to obtain that many. However, I would definitely take the initiative and go for 3 or more if you can.

It shouldn't give you an error. When I first tried it I think the same thing happened to me. I tried on a different computer and it worked.

2. I would enter the date (month and year) you took the exam even if it was in 1997. What do you mean you did a make up?

4. I would definitely go for 3! You don't want anybody frowning at your application. I'm sure they just make that an options for students who may not otherwise be able to obtain that many. However, I would definitely take the initiative and go for 3 or more if you can.

Thank you for the info.

I have only worked on one computer so far; I didn't think to try another.

2. I didn't mean I made up the test, just that I "made up" the date, as in just picked a day as only month/year was listed. (When I read back over it, I saw that it was confusing!)

4. I am only unsure because it says it is discouraged (or something of the sort). I would love to enter another strong one!

I would check with the school that you had the scores sent to. They should have them.

I have some quick questions.

1.) I took a biol seminar class with the biol prefix. Is that considered a "biol lecture" or a non science?

2.) I took a hybrid P.E. class that was half online/half activity on campus. Is this online or regular credit?

3.) And I plan to take 3 online courses next year, are these distance/online credits? The exams are on campus though.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone who are applying.

I'm a re-applicant and need some advice. I didn't get any interviews the last cycle, and plan to re-take my DAT pretty soon. I have a committee packet and letters from last years cycles. The Health Professions office at my school has said an updated letter is not necessary, and that they would be able to send the packet again, but I'm wondering if this is true. Even if true, and I know the letters are pretty solid good letters, should I still ask the profs (again) for another letter? Anyone know or reapplying with last years letters or 1 yr old letters? Btw I graduated and am out of school, so asking for letters is kind of hard. Thanks guys, good luck on TMDSAS!

I have some quick questions.

1.) I took a biol seminar class with the biol prefix. Is that considered a "biol lecture" or a non science?

2.) I took a hybrid P.E. class that was half online/half activity on campus. Is this online or regular credit?

3.) And I plan to take 3 online courses next year, are these distance/online credits? The exams are on campus though.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone who are applying.

1) I would think boil lecture

2) I would say online

3) yes, distance/online

I'm a re-applicant and need some advice. I didn't get any interviews the last cycle, and plan to re-take my DAT pretty soon. I have a committee packet and letters from last years cycles. The Health Professions office at my school has said an updated letter is not necessary, and that they would be able to send the packet again, but I'm wondering if this is true. Even if true, and I know the letters are pretty solid good letters, should I still ask the profs (again) for another letter? Anyone know or reapplying with last years letters or 1 yr old letters? Btw I graduated and am out of school, so asking for letters is kind of hard. Thanks guys, good luck on TMDSAS!

I would definitely try and get new letters, even if from the same professor so they are dated recently rather than a year ago. You prof may still have it saved. I've heard over and over that letters cannot be more than a year old.

I am a reapplicant also and to be honest I've never heard that I can't reuse a letter. What I would do, though, is add at least one new letter to the mix. Obviously you want to change it up a bit..show them that you've added to your application. I plan on reusing at least one of my letters.

I've always heard that the letters and personal statement are one of the Last things they look at, since everyone knows that numbers are more important. Don't get me wrong, letters are important too, but they probably aren't a factor on getting an interview or not. So need to focus more on numbers, I think if anything, they would just ask you about them at the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, sorry to change the subject. I am attending UT-Austin at the moment and was wondering about the +/- grading system during applications.

I tried searching the forum for this, and after reading this from TMDSAS' website:

A four-point scale shall be used in computing the grade point average (e.g.: A, 4 points per semester hour; B, 3.0; C, 2.0; D, 1.0; F, 0.0).

Does this mean that the the Texas dental schools DON'T look at the +/- grading system?

I just finished my 2nd year of undergraduate and have one B+ and 5 A- so if they don't use the +/- grading system, my GPA would be considerably higher.

I think they do look at it cause on the application you get a choice of A+ A A- etc.

I think i heard somewhere that you can enter A+, A, or A- but it doesn't calculate it any different than just an A. I may be wrong.

When your applying through TMDSAS, put in the exact grade for your coursework that is on your transcript. Fortunately, TMDSAS calculates full letter grades and not + OR -

So when they verify your GPA is converts all your grades to the whole letter grade...hope this helps

Might be a kind of stupid question but when they say to put the course dept exactly as it says on the transcript, does that mean including the department number also?

For example in the department section should i put Chem or L49 Chem

It should just be CHEM plus whatever the course number is (i.e. CHEM 301, or CHEM 1331, etc).

It is okay to re-use a letter as long as it is only about a year old. If it's more than that, then it would be best to update them/ get new letters.

Have to show them you're still working and improving!

I am a reapplicant also and to be honest I've never heard that I can't reuse a letter. What I would do, though, is add at least one new letter to the mix. Obviously you want to change it up a bit..show them that you've added to your application. I plan on reusing at least one of my letters.

It is okay to re-use a letter as long as it is only about a year old. If it's more than that, then it would be best to update them/ get new letters.

Have to show them you're still working and improving!

For those of you who have applied to dental school using tmdsas and have received interviews, how many days/weeks notification time do they give you from the first notification of your interview to the scheduled interview date?

In the college coursework section we are supposed to enter planned enrollment for future semesters we plan to enroll in. For the grade I enter "not yet reported" but what did you guys enter when it asks you "was last time taken"? How do I enter yes or no if I haven't taken it yet?

For those of you who have applied to dental school using tmdsas and have received interviews, how many days/weeks notification time do they give you from the first notification of your interview to the scheduled interview date?

Depends on the school. Some give you more time then others from what I remember. I think everyone gave you an amble amount of time to plan.

In the college coursework section we are supposed to enter planned enrollment for future semesters we plan to enroll in. For the grade I enter "not yet reported" but what did you guys enter when it asks you "was last time taken"? How do I enter yes or no if I haven't taken it yet?

I would just say yes for now.

Just submitted my tmdsas application! Ahhhhhhh!!!

im about to submit my tmdsas application this week! transcripts are in the mail as well, hopefully im not too late!

I did the chronology section. And it said I attended high school from June 2010-June 2010! Is there somewhere in your application where it asked when you first started high school?

Quick question, this was probably answered many times but what exactly does the "put on coversheet" option mean within the application? Thanks!

NEED HELP!!! What should I do? I got accepted at Mississippi College-MS in Biology-Medical Sciences, but I dont know if I should do that masters or if i should just enroll into a university in Texas like (UTD) and take upper levels as a non-degree seeking student.

I'm really confused becasue I'm a TX resident PSYC MAJOR (Graduated from Texas A&M), and I dont want to be making the wrong decision in terms of MASTERS or POST-BACC.
IF ANYONE has any knowedlge or actually been through the same, please reply or message

my stats are: sGPA: 3.17, oGPA:3.35, nsciGPA-3.52
I took the DAT and got a 16 (I know this is bad so I'm retaking it this 1st week inAugust 2012)

Hello!

My question is:

How will colleges know which classes are "writing intensive" (and thus fill the English requirement)?

For example, some of my engineering classes are considered writing intensive.
However, I labeled it under "other science" so that it can be included in the science GPA.

Should I label the class as "English" and have it not included in the science GPA, but allow colleges to know I fufilled the english requirements?

Or should I label the class as "Other science"?

Thank you.

I do not think writing intensive courses count as "English" courses. My microbiology course was writing intensive but it is definitely not an english class.

Hi All,

I have a quick question, if my parents own commercial real estate in texas, but I live in california and my parents do too, should I explain that in the Option Question under the "Residency" category?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi All,

I have a quick question, if my parents own commercial real estate in texas, but I live in california and my parents do too, should I explain that in the Option Question under the "Residency" category?

Thanks so much for your help!

Wouldn't it have to be under your name for it to even matter?

I got an email from Baylor saying that they received my application and to just wait and see if I am selected for an interview at the end of August. I haven't heard anything from SA or Houston. Has anyone heard from them?

I got an e-mail from Baylor right after TMDSAS sent the application to the schools, so they're pretty fast. And yeah Houston and San Antonio no e-mails yet.

Saiph, when did you submit? I submitted mine on the 14th and it still says processing.

I submitted on June 5th, payment was received on June 8th, and application transmitted on June 19th. My last supporting document were my lors and they were received/processed on the 15th. Good luck!

Thanks that makes me feel better I was worried that it was taking longer than normal and something was wrong. Good luck to you.

I too have only received a "received application" email only from Baylor. Nothing from Houston or San Antonio.

I just sent my stuff in on June 23. I really hope i get an interview-im a reapplicant.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! :)

Does anyone know when the schools start reviewing your application and when the first batch is invited for interviews through TMDSAS. Has anyone received any confirmation from Houston or San Antonio yet for received applications.
Thanks

I heard that Texas schools usually start sending interview invitations starting sometime in July. Some schools probably start a little later maybe even in August. I have only received a "received" notification from Baylor. Nothing from Houston or San Antonio.

I heard that Texas schools usually start sending interview invitations starting sometime in July. Some schools probably start a little later maybe even in August. I have only received a "received" notification from Baylor. Nothing from Houston or San Antonio.
Where did you get this notification? on TMDSAS or email or mail? I applied within 2 weeks of TMDSAS opening day and havent gotten anything yet...that i know of.

I submitted my application on may 23. I got a tmdsas notification to my email from [email protected] (Baylor) on may 31. I have only received a notification from Baylor. Nothing from San Antonio or Houston.

Check your Spam email JohnnyD.
Sometimes it gets sent there

My Application was sent in June 23 and they got everything this week. Baylor emailed something like:

Dear XXXXXX,

The Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry has received your TMDSAS application.

Admissions interviews are granted on a competitive basis and will be held beginning in mid-August. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by email two to three weeks in advance of the interview date. You will then be required to confirm your interview date. More details will be included in the invitation email if you are invited for an interview.

If you have taken the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) since the time that you submitted your TMDSAS Application you may send a copy of the unofficial DAT scores directly to our office so that they may be added to your application. You may either send a copy of your scores by fax to (214)874-4521 or you may email a scanned copy of your scores to my email address [email protected].

If you wish to verify if your other application materials have been received, such as recommendation letters or transcripts, please check the TMDSAS website.

Thank you for submitting your application to the Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
I took Anatomy and Physiology through the biology department at my university this past year to increase my biology credits. However, I noticed that TMDSAS catagorized it as other science credits rather than biology credits. Did anyone else notice this?

My Anatomy and Physiology I credit was under BioLL.

Has anyone heard from Houston or San Antonio yet? Is there a deadline to accept interviews?