****tmdsas 2013****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke to a faculty member at UTHSCSA the other day and basically I think you'll be under the same consideration as people who didn't get acceptances Dec 3 for the next wave of acceptances. (We'll all be sort of ranked against each other in the same pool). Congrats on the interview!

Scary thought :( I wanna get in so bad!!

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to a faculty member at UTHSCSA the other day and basically I think you'll be under the same consideration as people who didn't get acceptances Dec 3 for the next wave of acceptances. (We'll all be sort of ranked against each other in the same pool). Congrats on the interview!

so basically if they have some open spots after the first round, then they'll extend invites from the second round of people based on how they rank? I'm really nervous :/ any tips for their interview??

I'm currently in a Master's program, on track to finish by the summer if I really push myself. Do most Dental Schools in TX require you to finish your program before you can matriculate? I only have an interview but I'm not sure if I should load up on courses in the spring or not. I really don't want to put myself through a semester of hell if I don't have to.

Last edited:
so basically if they have some open spots after the first round, then they'll extend invites from the second round of people based on how they rank? I'm really nervous :/ any tips for their interview??

I'm currently in a Master's program, on track to finish by the summer if I really push myself. Do most Dental Schools in TX require you to finish your program before you can matriculate? I only have an interview but I'm not sure if I should load up on courses in the spring or not. I really don't want to put myself through a semester of hell if I don't have to.

Well basically, San Antonio sends out 120 acceptances December 3. They have a class of 100. Those 120 will be given a deadline to accept or decline. I'm guessing after that deadline is when the second round of acceptances will go out. The people eligible for second round acceptances are those who interviewed pre-December and did not receive an acceptance, and also those who interviewed post-December to that point (They'll give as many as it takes to fill the class and go down the list in order of their preferences).
As far as for the interview, my particular one was pretty easy going. They asked about family, why I wanted to be a dentist, and about things personal to me. Others (but I think fewer) have said it can get a little tougher, healthcare reform may be discussed, etc. So just know your application and personal statement and a little about what's going on in the field. Also, a lot of the conversation before our speakers came in was really immature at my interview. I would just say, treat the whole day like an interview. Don't assume because they're your peers you should be discussing getting drunk, etc. I think what they expect is just what you indicated you would do in the future on your application. But I mean technically you don't even have to have a bachelor's to matriculate, just those required courses and X amount of hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
$5,000 scholarship here as well from Baylor! Yay!

Did you receive that in the mail?

I got one as well

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

:):thumbup: Capitan, do you have any idea which school you're going to pick?

Baylor.....99% sure.

Most likely will be mailing in my deposit next week. Just wanted some time to think haha. But yes......Baylor!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think early January because I think that's the deadline for first round people to say yea or nay.

Are you sure it's that early? I was looking at Houston's thread from last year and the second round wasn't until the last week of January.

I believe its 45(ish) days after December 3rd. Thats what my predental advisor told me. that would mean mid january or so.

does anyone know where i can find the thread for the UTHSCSA interview feedback? I did a quick search on here and couldn't find it and it's not int he articles and interviews section.

Are you sure it's that early? I was looking at Houston's thread from last year and the second round wasn't until the last week of January.

Here is info I found from a thread for last year's cycle: Baylor said: "We usually send our second round of acceptance letters at the end of January, if we need a second round and we select applicants for the alternate list in April." And also: "Looks like Houston had a second wave of acceptances on January 25th." And someone had an interview with San Antonio as late as January 23. So looks more like end of January if the pattern keeps up.

Last edited:
Baylor.....99% sure.

Most likely will be mailing in my deposit next week. Just wanted some time to think haha. But yes......Baylor!!!!!

Well, that was my only acceptance, so if that's the case, I will be meeting you soon! It is a fantastic school!!! :D

So which schools are sending out actual mailed letters? Is it just Baylor? and what day did you get it?

Does anyone know if all the schools are waiting till January to send new interview invites/ next round acceptances? Or if some schools are sending interview invites during xmas break?

For those who are attending Baylor, could you tell me when your first day of classes are (the exact day)? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if all the schools are waiting till January to send new interview invites/ next round acceptances? Or if some schools are sending interview invites during xmas break?

UTHSCSA interview (1/14)

my 1st TEXAS invite!!! :love:

any idea what are the chances for post-dec? did UTHSCSA send out all acceptances? am i interviewed for alternate list?

UTHSCSA interview (1/14)

any idea what are the chances for post-dec? did UTHSCSA send out all acceptances? am i interviewed for alternate list?

About time you heard from Texas! Congrats and good luck!

Looks like TX loves ya! Best of luck!

UTHSCSA interview (1/14)

San antonio sent around 120 acceptances.

Houston

Does anybody know how many students were accepted in Dec and how many seats are still available in Houston?

Apparently roughly 250 acceptances were sent out. Houston will still send like 50-60 more in January.

Keep in mind that some people were accepted to more than one school so that will also add to the number of additional acceptances which will be sent in January.

Apparently roughly 250 acceptances were sent out. Houston will still send like 50-60 more in January.

Keep in mind that some people were accepted to more than one school so that will also add to the number of additional acceptances which will be sent in January.

250 acceptances sent out by Houston alone?!

It would be a Texas size catastrophe if only 50% accepted a spot if the numbers are even remotely close.

Last edited:
I was told they only sent about 50-60 acceptances

When I said 250......I meant Texas-wide and not just Houston. Sorry for the confusion....and that is just my estimate based on what I've learned from this forum.

Do you guys know if you can place a deposit on all three texas schools and tell them you want to attend all three? I am still having a hard time deciding and I feel like a month is not enough time.

Do you guys know if you can place a deposit on all three texas schools and tell them you want to attend all three? I am still having a hard time deciding and I feel like a month is not enough time.
Think over.
Depend on where you live and the costs.don't waste money!

Just pick a school already and be thankful you were accepted. Yes costs are important and all, but don't just look at that....Compared to most dental schools in the United States, Texas dental schools are ALOT less expensive. Think about which school gave you the biggest smile during your interviews.

It took my two weeks to decide, but Baylor is my calling. I kept on debating between Baylor and San Antonio. I just mailed my deposit to Baylor this morning.

It is not ethical to take up multiple spots at different schools. By doing so, schools wouldn't be able to interview other candidates or give admission to other highly qualified students, and this is unfair. Please be courteous to your fellow students.

I agree!!!

By the way, congrats, Capitan! :thumbup:

Just pick a school already and be thankful you were accepted. Yes costs are important and all, but don't just look at that....Compared to most dental schools in the United States, Texas dental schools are ALOT less expensive. Think about which school gave you the biggest smile during your interviews.

It took my two weeks to decide, but Baylor is my calling. I kept on debating between Baylor and San Antonio. I just mailed my deposit to Baylor this morning.

It looks like I'm going with Baylor, so another spot will be opening up in San Antonio. There are a lot of factors to consider when you decide, which can make it difficult, but I agree that putting down multiple deposits and holding up that spot is delaying the inevitable: you can only attend one school. Whichever school you choose, one thing is guaranteed, that the best is yet to come.

Wait I thought Texas schools don't have deposits. At least Houston doesn't..someone correct if I am wrong.

Just wondering, but I interviewed pre-dec at Baylor, anyone know what happens if we didn't receive an invite? Or how second rounds works? I'm scared...

UTHSCSA interview (1/14)

I got my first TX invite there too! Mine's on 1/7! I think we might be in the second round. At least there's still hope for being interviewed for the second round at the other schools too!