****tmdsas 2013****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the interview. Dr pierpont advises us to just fill out Fafsa for every school we applied to because supposedly it takes a while.
Ok Thanks found some info on it on the website. Have you applied for FAFSA already.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email back from baylor today after asking where they were with the process. They determine if they even need a 2nd round of offer in Feburary. They'll send those out then. After that an alternate list is formed in April.

did they say when in feb?? and is that all they said back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything new, any updates from the three schools, fellows?

Accepted to UTHSC San Antionio ...Email @ 11: 45

Just wondering, but for those who interviewed at Baylor, have you guys heard anything yet, ie rejections? Or have they sent anything else out yet?

Accepted to UTHSC San Antonio . Interview date August 27, 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the acceptance email from San Antonio yesterday :love::love::love:
I have been waiting for so long and now it finally came :D

Btw I have my interview back in Nov, 5th 2012:)

I have one question. For those who are accepted by SA, how long does it take for you to receive the acceptance letter in the mail after getting their email?

Thx:love:

Received the acceptance email from San Antonio yesterday :love::love::love:
I have been waiting for so long and now it finally came :D

Btw I have my interview back in Nov, 5th 2012:)

I have one question. For those who are accepted by SA, how long does it take for you to receive the acceptance letter in the mail after getting their email?

Thx:love:

Got my email last Tuesday and had the letter that Friday night. Congrats. :)

congrats to all of you! it looks like they're still sending out invites for people that interviewed in the first round :(

hopefully they at least get to me! i was interviewed earlier this month.

Congratulations!! I am happy for you :)

Do you mind sharing your stats please? Also were you first time applicant or reapplicant?

I don't mind:)
PA 19
QR 21
RC 18:oops:
BIO 20
Gen C 20
Org C 24
TS 21
AA 21

And I'm a first time applicant:) I was interviewed by all 3 TX school. SA is the first TX school I heard back from. No news from Baylor or Houston yet:confused:

PA 19
QR 21
BIO 20
Gen C 20
Org C 24
TS 21
AA 21

And I'm a first time applicant:) I was interviewed by all 3 TX school. SA is the first TX school I heard back from. No news from Baylor or Houston yet:confused:

Thank you! :)

PA 19
QR 21
BIO 20
Gen C 20
Org C 24
TS 21
AA 21

Would you mind giving us your science and overal gpa as well? I'm still waiting to hear back for UTHSCSA...

Does any body have any updates, regarding when Baylor and Houston committees will have another session to send out second rounds? February is almost here...

Does any body have any updates, regarding when Baylor and Houston committees will have another session to send out second rounds? February is almost here...

I am pretty sure Baylor doesn't usually have big waves after first round like the other two schools, according to what past posters have said. They stopped interviewing a few weeks ago, and if anything I think they will just send a few here and there depending on what they need. It looks like Houston's last interview date was yesterday, so I would think they are gonna be sending a decent amount within a week or so.

believe or not! Yesterday i got the dream:< Houston sends out about 40 acceptances>. Good luck!

believe or not! Yesterday i got the dream:< Houston sends out about 40 acceptances>. Good luck!

Wait did Houston tell you yesterday that they will send out 40 soon? Or did you get accepted yesterday along with 39 others?

I interviewed yesterday and there were about 15 of us.

Acceptance to UTHSCSA 1/24/13 at 11:45 am! :D

Stats for those interested:

Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 7/25/12
Application complete date: 7/12/12
Interview Date: 10/22/2012
GPA (science, overall): 3.41, 3.48
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): (22/21/18/23/none)

Really didn't think I'd get in (this is my second time applying)...so for those of you still waiting, don't give up hope yet! It's not over until it's over.

So I hear Baylor has filled up their class. But I also heard that Houston is giving 200 spots, can anyone confirm this?

I don't know the exact number they are giving out this year, but it is safe to say that the info you heard is way off. Houston cannot handle 200 slots. Houston had 84 slots for entering classes from 2006-2011. This past year, due to the move, that number jumped to 100. There is no way they will jump to 200. Not enough space, equipment or faculty to handle that number.

I don't know the exact number they are giving out this year, but it is safe to say that the info you heard is way off. Houston cannot handle 200 slots. Houston had 84 slots for entering classes from 2006-2011. This past year, due to the move, that number jumped to 100. There is no way they will jump to 200. Not enough space, equipment or faculty to handle that number.

i think he meant 200 offers for 100 spots due to declined offers.

I got the Baylor Post-Baccalaureate Program&#8207; e-mail today. :( I was interviewed in December. Did everyone else who interviewed and still waiting get this e-mail?

Lol did your heart stop thinking it was an acceptance too? Haha..but according to the email, they said that those interviewed are still under consideration, so I guess that answers everyone's question on whether or not Baylor is done giving out spots.

Lol did your heart stop thinking it was an acceptance too? Haha..but according to the email, they said that those interviewed are still under consideration, so I guess that answers everyone's question on whether or not Baylor is done giving out spots.

Lol yeah, I was hoping for a miracle hah..lets see how February goes..

Haha it got me too! Oh well, at least we're still in the running.

congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far, and i dont want to poo poo on your parade, but i had just wanted to take a moment and express my distaste of texas schools lol.they only appear to want one type of applicant - one with a high science gpa.(now this my be biased by my personal anecdotal experience)
Im just not sure how a high science gpa correlates with being a good dentist-im sure its important, but there are other more important things than that.

i have been accepted into several OOS schools, but my heart was in texas, and i didint even get one interview from the three, oh well - so poo poo on you texas dschools

lol so that is the end of my rant,

congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far, and i dont want to poo poo on your parade, but i had just wanted to take a moment and express my distaste of texas schools lol.they only appear to want one type of applicant - one with a high science gpa.(now this my be biased by my personal anecdotal experience)
Im just not sure how a high science gpa correlates with being a good dentist-im sure its important, but there are other more important things than that.

i have been accepted into several OOS schools, but my heart was in texas, and i didint even get one interview from the three, oh well - so poo poo on you texas dschools

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but this is a place of support. I understand if you are looking for support from your peers but you shouldn't go insulting the schools that people who have been a part of this thread since it began will be attending. Be happy you got accepted into several dental schools and will have your pick; many people are not that lucky.

As for your statement about Texas schools only looking for a high science GPA, you should look at the accepted students' stats again. There are people with high science GPA's that did not get accepted and people with not as high science GPA's that DID get accepted. Texas schools are competitive. Most Texas residents want to stay in Texas because of the price point and the fact that these are respected schools. You also did not see the applications of the accepted students so I do not know how you could tell us that Texas schools only look for science GPA's.

Again, I am sorry you did not get accepted into a Texas school but in my opinion it is not fair to bring down the people in this thread with your negative posts. I wish you the best of luck in dental school this fall.

Have you ever thought you just didn't have the complete package they were looking for? Getting into d-school is competative as you know since this was your second year of applying. You had good DAT score ( 20's and 21's ), but your overall GPA in undergrad was 3.2 and science GPA was 3.0. I know someone who had a 2.7 overall, but he counter balanced that low overall with a higher science and a 24 AA and 23 PAT. I think you having low GPAs in both overall and science is what hurt you.

No matter what, you are sounding like my 3 year old when she doesn't get what she wants and I have to tell her No! If the Texas schools only knew who you were on this website, they would probably behappy to know they haven't selected you because no one wants to be around someone who cries like you are right now. Grow up. Be happy you were blessed with the option of choosing from 3 schools. There are thousands of people who would happy to be accepted at one school let alone three. Accept the fact that you didn't work hard enough in undergrad and are now paying the price by not getting into one of your top picks of schools.

It's okay to rant! :) However, at the.end of the day, if you want something so bad, you will do whatever it takes to get it. I'm sure a lot of people on here can attest to that statement. Best of luck on everything. By the way, this is an awesome comment by Koalamowgli:

This is what I sent to the other person :)

Well,

I do have a personal story.
My undergraduate was law from Korea University.
Then worked in advertising for a while, and decided to pursue dentistry.. so packed my bags and moved all the way to the united states all by myself.. and shacked up in a small place in LA and did a self post bacc through evening classes at UCLA.

I did do one significant shadowing experience on Skid Row downtown LA at a free dental clinic for an extended time.

I want to say that a lot of prayer and faith and hard work.. and a little bit of luck got me through.

Also, I made sure that my application clearly showed my desire for a specific mission and vision I had in mind. Not just dentistry, but what I would do with dentistry.. this helped a lot during interviews because it was a great token for a sincere conversation.

Also, when did you apply?

I applied super early, which I think helped a lot to get my foot in the door for an interview. After that, I tried my best to ace my interviews.

Other than that, not sure what else... but I hope you have an idea of how I got into schools.

Even if you don't think that you have an elaborate story to tell, you are unique in yourself, I am 100% sure of that. Every one has a story they can tell. The challenge is to bring out that unique story or quality of yourself and make it jump out of the application. I truly think that's the most important part in getting an interview when your stats aren't stellar... it's the important part.. but I guess also a difficult part.

Hope it helps.
Feel free to ask anything you want.

Good Luck!

**Oh yea.. maybe having a strong upward trend in my grades probably helped too~ and the workload of science courses?.. because it was a self post bacc... i tried to take at least 4 science courses every quarter, and get straight A's.

Last edited:
So I hear Baylor has filled up their class. But I also heard that Houston is giving 200 spots, can anyone confirm this?

so has Baylor filled their spots?

Any updates on Texas schools?

Houston and SA are giving out acceptances this month, not sure which week it is. I know someone got accepted last week for Houston and that person interviewed the week before the last interview, Jan 29.

Hopefully I get into either Texas school.

Houston and SA are giving out acceptances this month, not sure which week it is. I know someone got accepted last week for Houston and that person interviewed the week before the last interview, Jan 29.

Hopefully I get into either Texas school.

Dr. Segura told us last week that the committee will be meeting this Monday (tmrw) to evaluate our interviews from last week. But that we will not know for three weeks because they go by a three week admission cycle for acceptances. So I guess if you interviewed before last week you might have a chance to hear back this week if the committee decides you should be accepted. She declined to comment on how many spots are open also. Hope this update helps for people who are waiting to hear back from UTHSCSA. Good luck to all of us!

I emailed Dr. P this morning and he promptly replied that Houston has not sent any acceptances since Dec. 3rd. Some should go out this week. Yes, I like you freaked when aznboi89x posted as well. Hope everyone has a great month and a great week.